Redundancies

sidcow

On 23 April 2016 at 09:30, briny_ear said:

We need more match day staff so they can look out for and confiscate all the anti-Lerner banners?

If people continue to bring them even when he's not here any longer, well then 10/10 for dedication

• Like 2

7 hours ago, briny_ear said:

I think it was her job (if indeed she has left) to help the players settle in to their new surroundings, get decent housing arrangements, learn the language better if necessary and so on. I guess the Bernstein review was about the failure to integrate them into the team as effective players. Don't see how anyone coud blame the Player Liaison Officer for that. There is a job called manager where that responsibility lies.

Tom Fox from the supporters rust AGM

He made the surprising admission that not enough of the 13 players signed in the summer – at a net cost of £23million he said – were integrated into the club successfully.

'Where my team and I failed was to integrate those players into the country effectively,' Fox said. 'Seven players who came into the team were from a different country and we didn't execute that as well as we should have.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3410965/Aston-Villa-supporters-voice-fury-board-chief-executive-Tom-Fox-admits-struggling-buy-players-January.html

Thst suggests to me the player liaison officer failed at there basic remit. 

Edited by thabucks

Technically not a redundancy, but reports are circulating by the Daily Mail that goalkeeping coach Tony Parks has been released by Di Matteo.

Aston Villa goalkeeping coach Tony Parks has been released as part of the club's new regime.

The 53-year-old former Tottenham and Brentford keeper was informed he was to leave on Thursday ahead of Roberto Di Matteo's official appointment as manager.

Parks joined Villa alongside Tim Sherwood last year and worked with Brad Guzan, Shay Given and Jed Steer.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3625163/Aston-Villa-release-goalkeeping-coach-Tony-Parks-following-Roberto-Di-Matteo-s-arrival.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

People on Twitter have criticised him for being poorer in quality than most other Premier League GK coaches. Maybe Di Matteo can get a good one in. Besides, Italy are well known for their world-class goalkeeping coaches anyway.

Edited by meme

In my job I'm surrounded by people who are well liked and/or been at the club for an age, yet a high proportion are shit at their jobs, inefficient and are actually holding the club back. It's not particularly nice when someone loses their job but equally clubs are a business and like any business the weak and the shit need to be removed without any hint of remorse. It's cold facts. Relegation has afforded us the opportunity to move out the dead wood from the top down and start afresh. 

Just now, thabucks said:

In my job I'm surrounded by people who are well liked and/or been at the club for an age, yet a high proportion are shit at their jobs, inefficient and are actually holding the club back. It's not particularly nice when someone loses their job but equally clubs are a business and like any business the weak and the shit need to be removed without any hint of remorse. It's cold facts. Relegation has afforded us the opportunity to move out the dead wood from the top down and start afresh. 

So you're saying someone like Lorna or Jack Woodward held the club back in a sense? Please.They worked tirelessly for Villa and added a lot of value - AVTV bought income and generated exposure. Lorna is very talented speaking 3 or 4 languages and helped with players, managers and making sure the engine ran. Clubs that are at the top have these kinds of people employed so they do add value. It is just very sad that they lose out thanks to other people.  

I have to admit to not knowing too much about Lorna's role at Villa. But after reading the below it seems we've lost a lady who was very good at her job. Also interesting to read that her role was the first of its kind at a Premiership club, after Graham Taylor brought her in. 

http://mobile.avfc.co.uk/default.aspx?s=news-display&aid=2619872

Lorna McClelland profile: Buddies, Tom Hanks and staying positive

22-02-2012

Paul Brown profiles players personnel, welfare and liaison officer Lorna McClelland.

AVFC.co.uk continues its new feature series, profiling some of the people who are pivotal to the work that goes on behind-the-scenes at this great football club. This week players personnel, welfare and liaison officer Lorna McClelland.

By Paul Brown

The big, wide smile of Lorna McClelland perfectly illustrates the cheery disposition of a woman very much integral to the happiness of our star players at Bodymoor Heath....... 

(Didn't want to paste it all) 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, thabucks said:

I really would be careful what you say mate, I genuinely think it's a bit risky naming your employer and then saying you're surrounded by people who are shit at their jobs. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, villanwesty88 said:

So you're saying someone like Lorna or Jack Woodward held the club back in a sense? Please.They worked tirelessly for Villa and added a lot of value - AVTV bought income and generated exposure. Lorna is very talented speaking 3 or 4 languages and helped with players, managers and making sure the engine ran. Clubs that are at the top have these kinds of people employed so they do add value. It is just very sad that they lose out thanks to other people.  

I was talking in general from personal experience of seeing the inner workings of a football club. I was not talking about specific people as I'm not qualified to comment not knowing the exact details. I gave an OPINION on why someone may have left. 

6 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I really would be careful what you say mate, I genuinely think it's a bit risky naming your employer and then saying you're surrounded by people who are shit at their jobs. 

Probably right ! Better say nowt from now on! Especially as the owner is a sha fan ! 

• Like 1

Just now, thabucks said:

I was talking in general from personal experience of seeing the inner workings of a football club. I was not talking about specific people as I'm not qualified to comment not knowing the exact details. I gave an OPINION on why someone may have left. 

Then you shouldn't hint at people being crap at their jobs as the reason they've left. It's pretty clear - club goes down, loses income and has to make cutbacks when the future is uncertain. It's nothing to do with any of their abilities!!! If it was they'd have been released or fired during our Premier League era. 

39 minutes ago, meme said:

Technically not a redundancy, but reports are circulating by the Daily Mail that goalkeeping coach Tony Parks has been released by Di Matteo.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3625163/Aston-Villa-release-goalkeeping-coach-Tony-Parks-following-Roberto-Di-Matteo-s-arrival.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

People on Twitter have criticised him for being poorer in quality than most other Premier League GK coaches. Maybe Di Matteo can get a good one in. Besides, Italy are well known for their world-class goalkeeping coaches anyway.

No idea how good/bad GK coach he was (though Brad's recent performances haven't been much of a recommendation) but it always used to irritate me a bit that he always seemed to be at the forefront in the dugout, getting agitated, issuing instructions and generally in Tim's ear, instead of KMac or Wilkins or whoever was the assistant at the time.  I'm sure he wasn't talking to the goalkeeper.

Just now, villanwesty88 said:

Then you shouldn't hint at people being crap at their jobs as the reason they've left. It's pretty clear - club goes down, loses income and has to make cutbacks when the future is uncertain. It's nothing to do with any of their abilities!!! If it was they'd have been released or fired during our Premier League era. 

It's very difficult to get rid of someone who has been in their job for a long time especially within football. You have to do something wrong rather than under perform to get let go. I gave it as an example. People who are good at their jobs usually get to keep them above people who are crap especially when streamlining as the aim is to become more efficient and save money. 

Hard facts are we have, for whatever reason a bloated workforce that is unsustainable in the Championship. 

I was maybe wrong to speculate that the player liaison officer maybe was leaving due to the failure of the club to integrate last summers foreign recruits within the club and country.

I was trying to give an opinion having worked within the game on how longevity does not always equate to the best qualified people in the roles they are performing. 

Thabucks, of course some ineffective but liked employees tend to stay past their value.  True in any business.   I think you got into trouble by inserting that generic fact into a discussion of one particular employee. (Lorna).  It made the comment appear to be very personal and not a general principle of business realities.  Especially, when a few of us know from international players that she was outstanding and have seen her deal masterfully with their needs.

Now, if you have inside information that she, in particular was very poor, that's fine.  Feel free to share.  But having seen what I have seen, I think she was a scapegoat for a locker room that was failing at much higher levels.  Her job was to acclimate them to England and English culture, not acclimate them into a playing system.  The failure of the latter was blatantly obvious, but not her responsibility or role.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2016 at 08:52, thabucks said:

Tom Fox from the supporters rust AGM

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3410965/Aston-Villa-supporters-voice-fury-board-chief-executive-Tom-Fox-admits-struggling-buy-players-January.html

Thst suggests to me the player liaison officer failed at there basic remit. 

That's a big assumption to make based on a vague piece of typical management-speak bollocks form Tom Fox.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2016 at 19:39, thabucks said:

Tom Fox said the club failed to integrate last seasons foreign signings well enough and not  offered them enough support, Sic.  So maybe she is carrying the can for that after kings/Bernsteins review. If it's true (and I'm just speculating) I'm glad she is going as she failed at her main duty. 

Tom Fox the man of the truth, the integration thing for me is mainly a dressing room issue 1st and foremost. club captain and senior players should be trying to make the players feel welcome and if honest from outside that didnt happen at all. the liaison officer is only for needs at home.

Â