Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

someone had said to me yesterday pretty much all of pearsons back room staff are still at leicester so we wouldnt be getting them, not sure how much of a difference that makes but we'd be getting a 2nd choice / patch work collection of coaches again

Problem with Moyes at Everton and also Hughton is that if a game is 1-1 in last 10 minutes they are more likely to make a cautious sub instead of an attacking one no matter who the opposition is or if home or away

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Difficult, yes...but generally worth the effort.

I remain someone who would be disappointed with Pearson, I think if we get the appointment right, then the manager will help define what we are - I'd hate to think that the club would be made in the image of a dog average bully - that said, I wouldn't be overly surprised if I get the chance to find out.

For me, a club in a situation like ours need someone that can carry the flag, someone we can rally around and who we can take pride in sparking a revolution. I think Moyes can do that, I think a young manager with a bit about them might have a chance of doing that, I think Pearson would be immediately divisive and I'm not sure he's good enough to overcome that.

I honestly think there isn't a single Manager who would get support from all the fans.

There will be no time of grace, the pressure will be huge to get results, so anyone not winning games will lose half the fan base almost immediately.

Anyone winning games will lose 10/20 % of the fan base (most often us lot on here) over 6 months, due to style/ tactics/ substitutions/ having favourites/ being too 'gung ho', being too 'defensive', playing Grealish, not playing Grealish, setting up for a draw away at Newcastle, going for the win away ay Newcastle, favouring the 'counter attack' , not favouring it, and so on.  But the 80% will stick with him if he is winning - and that doesn't matter who it is.

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Problem with Moyes at Everton and also Hughton is that if a game is 1-1 in last 10 minutes they are more likely to make a cautious sub instead of an attacking one no matter who the opposition is or if home or away

See my above Post - proof straight away !!

One could just as equally argue, with equal validity, that that is a good thing !!  As I say, whoever we get, they will lose 20 % of the fans inside 6 months or less even if they are winning !

6 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

someone had said to me yesterday pretty much all of pearsons back room staff are still at leicester so we wouldnt be getting them, not sure how much of a difference that makes but we'd be getting a 2nd choice / patch work collection of coaches again

Massively important IMO.  I can't imagine we would risk taking on someone without their guys, and I can't see Pearsons coming here if they win the League !!!  I don't know enough about him to know whether he has had them with his other successes, but if he has, it must rule him out.

Whereas we know Moyes has an Assistant lurking.......

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Well that's because

(a) they are, that's why they ae in the papers, and

(b) the ten or so mentioned are indeed the only realistic candidates.

I'm not sure how footballing knowledge on the Board can either invent better candidates or prevent fans reading articles by journalists and assuming they are true.

The Southampton board for example appointed Pochettino when he was barely known by your average footballing punter, there were certainly no calls for his appointment and most people (journalists and pundits included) completely disparaged it. They were wrong. The lower leagues are littered with less well known appointments, who are currently doing relatively good jobs for their clubs, Karanka, Carvalhal, Slade, etc.. 

I'm not saying get one of these managers, I'm saying I like to see knowledge of the game to find that man who is right for us, unfashionable or not. 

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Exactly. Looking at NP's record on paper and I could be convinced that he'd do a decent job. However, Lambert, Sherwood and remi have all had to experiment with their back room team whilst with us and that hasn't proved successful (admittedly those Lambert initially brought with him didn't cover thselves in glory, to say the least)

Even the Leicester fans i've read trying to convince us of his worth question what he will be like without his back room team, who will no doubt remain at their club? It is imperative we get this right and for that reason alone it's too big a doubt to ignore in my opinion.

It's unlikely anyone will bring their whole back room team but the main contributors to any success is a must.

Fellas, we are the sh*test team in the prem, we are now relegated, we can dismiss manager after manager all we want, but what we have been screaming out for for god knows how long is a manager who is experienced, now in the championship, who can get us up. I don't think Bruce is long term, or fits our vision for a Villa manager, but we stopped being a top club a while back and we just need someone who knows how to play the championship. I don't want Bruce either, but given his recent experience I can see why he is in vogue. We finished 3 points ahead of Hull last season, why not take their manager, ask him what he would have done differently in the last 12 months, and then try to acheive that? I bet Bruce's biggest regret is budget, and on that front we can absolutely boss it.

2 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Fellas, we are the sh*test team in the prem, we are now relegated, we can dismiss manager after manager all we want, but what we have been screaming out for for god knows how long is a manager who is experienced, now in the championship, who can get us up. I don't think Bruce is long term, or fits our vision for a Villa manager, but we stopped being a top club a while back and we just need someone who knows how to play the championship. I don't want Bruce either, but given his recent experience I can see why he is in vogue. We finished 3 points ahead of Hull last season, why not take their manager, ask him what he would have done differently in the last 12 months, and then try to acheive that? I bet Bruce's biggest regret is budget, and on that front we can absolutely boss it.

he spent about 40 million getting Hull relegated including breaking transfer record twice for players like Livermore and Hernandez and paying big wages to Dawson, Snodgrass and Diame 

13 minutes ago, Zatman said:

he spent about 40 million getting Hull relegated including breaking transfer record twice for players like Livermore and Hernandez and paying big wages to Dawson, Snodgrass and Diame 

And then made them 18 million profit last summer in player sales. I don't think it is about glory any more, I think it is entirely about getting back in the prem, Dyche will always be my pick, but he is due automatic promotion, would never leave for us. I am fine with Bruce, he and us are a good fit.

well for me Bruce is a crap manager, has one of best sides in division and is 9 points off automatic promotion. would be a horrible appointment

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jareth said:

And then made them 18 million profit last summer in player sales. I don't think it is about glory any more, I think it is entirely about getting back in the prem, Dyche will always be my pick, but he is due automatic promotion, would never leave for us. I am fine with Bruce, he and us are a good fit.

Is he supposed to get a pat on the back for that? 

4 minutes ago, darrenm said:

I'd still take big Sam at the end of the season

i wouldnt, same reason as i wouldnt take bruce, within 3 years we'll have sacked him and be back to square one

he might get us to be a decent team in the championship, might get us promoted, cant and wont get us beyond a relegation fight in the prem, so whats the point of him?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

i wouldnt, same reason as i wouldnt take bruce, within 3 years we'll have sacked him and be back to square one

he might get us to be a decent team in the championship, might get us promoted, cant and wont get us beyond a relegation fight in the prem, so whats the point of him?

has worked OK for West Ham though

Bringing Pearson in without his staff is a bit like bringing garde in without genesio when he clearly wanted him. Not saying it's why he failed at all but point is if Pearson's only real managerial success was achieved with a backroom stuff who we probably won't land then it must be a no. Far too risky. We've half arsed things for too long. Let's be thorough and for once get it right.

19 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

But that's exactly what we need. A manager to get us straight back up and one season in the prem where we stay up.

If we carry on trying to appoint managers who are going to be here for 10 years, then we'll always be disappointed.

We need to think shorter term with managers. Employ a manager to get us back in the prem and keep us there for one season. Then re-evaluate. Can he take us further? if the answer is no (which I agree the answer may well be no with managers like Allardyce and Bruce) then you bring in someone who CAN take us further.

• Like 1