The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

8 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

We already charge , just the bill goes to the government of the country concerned  , rather than the individual  ..and as it turns out we are rather shit at sticking these claims in

free treatment for British citizens whilst in the EU is also cross charged ..it won't surprise you to learn the EU countries are much better at sticking in their claims

Meanwhile , we offered a reciprocal deal to the 27 countries regardless of the outcome of the withdrawal agreement ... turns out they can't individually agree to it and have to wait for all 27 to agree  

Exactly this. You'll find this about a lot of the problems UK politicians has laid at the door of the EU. We have for some time now had supremely inept people running the country across many governments.

That's another reason why "take back control" was so **** ridiculous. If our policiticians have been proven to be so pathetic, why should we want to give idiots more control purely on the basis of them being our idiots!?

• Like 1

Went to a talk today by the author of this book on the UK and US in the Middle East.

One theme of the talk was about the weakened post-war UK being displaced by a dominant US whose agenda was very much about enhancing its own influence at the expense of the UK, and the UK being slow to realise the agenda, accept the fact of its diminished  position, and see what was happening.

The echoes with the current and prospective position were intriguing, though today it's more about weakening the EU while also exploiting our weakness.

1 hour ago, peterms said:

Went to a talk today by the author of this book on the UK and US in the Middle East.

One theme of the talk was about the weakened post-war UK being displaced by a dominant US whose agenda was very much about enhancing its own influence at the expense of the UK, and the UK being slow to realise the agenda, accept the fact of its diminished  position, and see what was happening.

The echoes with the current and prospective position were intriguing, though today it's more about weakening the EU while also exploiting our weakness.

I’ve just today purchased his prior book which is about Britain and France in the Middle East.  

Will give that one a read afterwards.

5 hours ago, blandy said:

In that single case, to whose advantage, exactly? Absolutely no-one's.

The EU’s. If the EU sticks together as a cohesive bargaining unit, it will collectively achieve more in the long-run.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Isn't there a precedent that goverments of National Unity aren't lead by Party Leaders. I read it somewhere but haven't had the time to check it out

LibDems have already said No anyway I think (due to Corbyn being leader) 

5 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Proving that they can be as dumbly, pointlessly partisan as the rest of them.

Hmm I guess from their POV, they've always been the party of remain now Corbyn who has been holding the Labour Party back from that position suddenly wants to come along and be the knight in shining armour to save the day. It must be more than a little galling for them and not only that they don't want their newly increased support to bugger off again

But as with all these things, its party before country every time

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

Hmm I guess from their POV, they've always been the party of remain now Corbyn who has been holding the Labour Party back from that position suddenly wants to come along and be the knight in shining armour to save the day. It must be more than a little galling for them and not only that they don't want their newly increased support to bugger off again

But as with all these things, its party before country every time

Particularly the likes of me, who have ditched Labour because Corbyn's a dinosaur in sheep's clothing.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, bickster said:

Isn't there a precedent that goverments of National Unity aren't lead by Party Leaders. I read it somewhere but haven't had the time to check it out

LibDems have already said No anyway I think (due to Corbyn being leader) 

I can't really see that there would be a guiding precedent for such a Government (I mean it's a rare occurrence, surely?).

Also, if this is as presented - a strictly time-limited alternative government just to get an extension whilst a GE is called then I don't even see it as some sort of Government of National Unity. It's merely a very temporary, transitory administration to ask for (and get) an extension and then ask Parliament for permission to call a GE.

I think the Lib Dems ruling this out on any account is daft.

I mean there may be a discussion to be had about how genuine this offer actually is but that's a different matter.

• Like 1

The Lib Dems are effectively being offered a dream scenario, but are rejecting it. An election, when they're on a resurgence. An opportunity to prevent Brexit, their key policy...

As ever, Corbyn is a greater evil than Brexit.

• Like 1

More diesel

Half of UK farms could fail after no-deal Brexit, report warns
Farmers calling for second EU referendum to herd sheep down Whitehall in protest on Thursday

Campaigners for a second referendum are herding a flock of sheep down Whitehall to protest against the impact a no-deal Brexit could have on the farming community.

According to a new report commissioned by the supporters of second poll, more than half of UK farms could go out of business if Britain crashes out of the EU on 31 October.

Backed by the People’s Vote campaign and written by Dr Séan Rickard, former chief economist of the National Farmers’ Union, the report warns that 50% of farms could go under as the government would prioritise keeping down food prices for consumers ahead of protecting agricultural producers.

To coincide with the report and launch of the Farmers for a People’s Vote group, campaigners are taking a small flock of sheep past the Cabinet Office where no-deal planning is taking place.

Moron Grauniad

20 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

We already charge , just the bill goes to the government of the country concerned  , rather than the individual 

Are you sure about that?

Doesn't that only apply to EEA nationals on temporary visits (i.e. those covered by EHIC) rather than those ordinarily resident in the UK?

Â