The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

2 hours ago, blandy said:

That would be a mistake. People may be ill informed, but on average/in general people are of average intelligence, rather than stupid.

And these surveys - people don't actually mean what they say, anyway. When they say "I'd accept my lad losing his job, for Brexit" they mean "I'd accept the notion of someone else's son losing their job..." or "I really strongly want to leave".

Of course, by definition half are below average intelligence and half are above. But it seems that the average is very low. I don't want to be that guy but when I see the limited thinking going on it makes me feel like the brain of Britain. Or perhaps I'm stupid for running things through consideration filters.

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

...And getting off a plane? 

I should probably clarify, I've stupidly conflated freedom of movement with the 'deal' we get when traveling to Europe, whereby we get special treatment that for most instances more or less means we move as freely as anyone else (it's rare your passport is actually checked in many destinations and you get fast track entry, etc). That will die reducing the ability to move.

So I'll apologise to Tony and blame being unnaturally tired.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Of course, by definition half are below average intelligence and half are above. But it seems that the average is very low. I don't want to be that guy but when I see the limited thinking going on it makes me feel like the brain of Britain . Or perhaps I'm stupid for running things through consideration filters.

We are all doomed if it ever gets that bad :P

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Of course, by definition half are below average intelligence and half are above. But it seems that the average is very low. I don't want to be that guy but when I see the limited thinking going on it makes me feel like the brain of Britain. Or perhaps I'm stupid for running things through consideration filters.

I'm presuming you are saying that the mean intelligence is skewed towards the lower end of the distribution of intelligence for the UK population. The average can't be low, it's the average and by average I presume you mean the mean (stupid word, someone should invent a new word for it) and not the mode or median.

If that is what you're saying I think youd be right

[/Pedant]

1 hour ago, bickster said:

I'm presuming you are saying that the mean intelligence is skewed towards the lower end of the distribution of intelligence for the UK population. The average can't be low, it's the average and by average I presume you mean the mean (stupid word, someone should invent a new word for it) and not the mode or median.

If that is what you're saying I think youd be right

[/Pedant]

Yeah, that :)

Shamelessly stolen from elsewhere.

Stop using fisheries as reason to Leave

Never mind “Project Fear", “Project Fact" is needed here. The UK exports 45% of its catch. 80% of that quantity goes to EU countries. For example 90% of fish landed in Ramsgate are sold in the Boulogne Fish Market - for 15% more in value than they would get at home. When you visit North East Scotland you see vast European registered refrigerated trucks driving south and many don't stop until they reach France or Spain. UK fishing vessels fish in the waters of other EU countries. In addition to wider sovereign waters fishing rights UK fishermen have rights within the 6-12 mile limit of four other member states: Ireland, Germany, France and the Netherlands. For example trawlers out of Brixham exploit the valuable scallop stocks in the Baie de Seine. Trawlers out of Peterhead fish in Dutch and German waters. Many of the foreign vessels fishing in UK waters do so because the companies that own them bought from UK fishermen and with them the right to fish. It is important to note that the UK is allocated about 30% of the EU's total catch even though it has only 13% of the total sea area (ie UK EEZ compared to the entire EU EEZ, but not including territorial waters).

That's from the former under secretary of state responsible for fisheries. The whole thing is worth a read. And the above again reiterates the fact the big problem with fisheries is our allowing quotas to be traded against EU recommendation that specifically asks to protect the interests of small regional fleets.

• Like 2

Strange how nobody is reporting the comments from Carney yesterday that the city could double in size in the next 25 years 

why it's almost as if people only want to report bad news 

What the banks are doing is putting contingency plans in place in the event of a worse case sceanario , this myth that we lose passportig rights if we leave the single market is just more misinformation , if the banks meet the regulation criteria then passporting is not lost , if we take the Singapore on Thames approach as it's being called , only then , does  passporting becomes an issue , hence why the banks are preparing ... 

none of the other financial centres come close to London which is still the number one  Investment choice , Frankfurt is ranked 20th and the other places mentioned that will be "stealing "all our city money and jobs rank even lower 

There is still some work to be done , and there is no guarantee it will be done properly (hence the banks making plans ) but it's way to early to predict the demise of London 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Strange how nobody is reporting the comments from Carney yesterday that the city could double in size in the next 25 years 

How did you find out what he said then?

• Like 2

I believe it's untrue to say the passporting is not lost when we leave.

There is a basis of 'equivalence' of regulation, but that is both very 'thin' in how it is implemented, easily revoked and basically relying on mutual trust regulation is matching, which spooks financial services companies, who like certainty in everything, and also far from as wide an option, limiting what can be offered and making it much more difficult.

Passporting is a big deal.

Nobody thinks London's financial services are going to collapse, that's moronic, it's the hub of world finance, but it will be hit by it. And any loss of jobs is bad. I work for a global insurance company. I've lost count of the advisory notes, commentary, memos, references, conference calls etc that all talk about the approaches to minimising the impact on European operations of Brexit because of passporting. The thing that strikes you about it over and over again is how daft the whole thing is.

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

Factor in advances in Fintech and AI and that's scary.

Factor in cuts in education and social support from the state and it's looking really chaotic. 

We really need to be taking the reins away from the psychopaths.

• Like 2

On 8/2/2017 at 06:16, tonyh29 said:

judging by the amount of Irish that live in the Uk I'd say pretty shit :P

Yeah?

About 6 out of every 1000 people in Great Britain is Irish (link).

About 25 out of every 1000 people in the Republic of Ireland is British (link).

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I don't see any alternative. 

The alternative is rolling back Brexit just a touch. Otherwise a hard border is basically unavoidable. There must be one to protect the single market from substandard goods coming through the UK as a import hub in essence, for example.

Realising the border, finally, is a disaster waiting to happen is good, however not being prepared to go so far as to say how to avoid the border is usual fudging by this useless government that seems unable to grasp the cake and eating it thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

They've confirmed they don't want a hard border with Ireland. Hurrah.

...How will they achieve this? ...We just don't want one.

...**** sake.

Even that was different yesterday, it changes with the wind... or when they realise that every step of the way they want the ****ing stupid option and have to alter tack and try not to lose face.

Who are these people that were touting David Davies as the next leader. The mans a half wit (as are most of them tbf)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

They've confirmed they don't want a hard border with Ireland. Hurrah.

...How will they achieve this? ...We just don't want one.

...**** sake.

I've just been listening to a few politicians on 5 live talking about it.

It appears that there are going to be 'extra measures' taken and 'more technology' used to keep it the same way as it is now. When asked what these entail, no one seemed to know. It'll just happen.

One thing Nigel Evans spoke about was 'when people fly from Belfast to somewhere else in the UK and show their passports' (may not be precisely verbatim). Why would you need to show a passport to travel within the UK?

Edited by snowychap

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

The alternative is rolling back Brexit just a touch. Otherwise a hard border is basically unavoidable. There must be one to protect the single market from substandard goods coming through the UK as a import hub in essence, for example.

Realising the border, finally, is a disaster waiting to happen is good, however not being prepared to go so far as to say how to avoid the border is usual fudging by this useless government that seems unable to grasp the cake and eating it thing.

But what, actually, is the way to avoid the hard border? I'm not trying to be dense, or argumentative, I just don't get it. 

Â