The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

To my mind, that's just more of the same 'we'll defeat him with my rapier wit and debating skills, honed at the Oxford Union' stuff that keeps not working with Bannon, Milo, Yaxley-Lennon etc. 

When he goes on, he will muddy the waters, over half of the viewers will believe him, and the BBC will have extended him a courtesy that they wouldn't afford many other people who may be imminently charged with a serious crime. 

Well yes. That's why I said " I instinctively agree [with snowy]... I suspect that they won't do that though". A genuinely good interviewer could skewer him pretty easily. But there's a shortage of them on the telly. 

10 minutes ago, blandy said:

Well yes. That's why I said " I instinctively agree [with snowy]... I suspect that they won't do that though". A genuinely good interviewer could skewer him pretty easily. But there's a shortage of them on the telly. 

Pretty much extinct on the BBC

Went to complain and they have already addressed it due to the volume of complaints already - https://ssl.bbc.co.uk/complaints/complaint/andrewmarrpretx/

Complaint

We received complaints from some people before transmission about Arron Banks being interviewed on ‘The Andrew Marr Show’.

The BBC’s response 

There is strong public interest in an interview with Arron Banks about allegations of funding irregularities in relation to Leave.Eu and the 2016 EU Referendum. The Electoral Commission has laid out concerns about this in public and it is legitimate and editorially justified for Andrew Marr to question Mr Banks robustly about them, which he will do on Sunday morning.

Dickheads. It's totally inappropriate.

It's odd how there wasn't "strong public interest" in the allegations in the first place.

The concept of the BBC is admirable. But when they are inevitably burned to the ground by the next but one Tory Government, they have nobody but themselves to blame.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, blandy said:

That's what I'm disagreeing with. I don't think that 'a genuinely good interviewer' is the problem here (although I agree with the point you and @bickster have made about the lack of them around). The problem is that there's nothing to stop Banks simply lying about everything, throughout the interview, in a way that is wholly damaging to public understanding. These tweets are where I'm at:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

The problem is that there's nothing to stop Banks simply lying about everything, throughout the interview, in a way that is wholly damaging to public understanding.

A good interviewer would expose that lying. There was a thing on open democracy.org internet a few months ago, which detailed very clearly where the [consults lawyer] "problems" with Banks's "wealth" and funding come from.

We know as fact that he has repeatedly (and by his own words) lied about contacts with Russia. There's a trail of money that shows  [consults lawyer again] the reasons why the Organised crime bods have been put on to him. Because he's not been charged with anything, there's no sub-judice here. The way the (now gone from the beeb) Eddie Mair skewered Boris Johnson, or James O'Brian, or Jeremy Paxman (also now all gone) were able to forensically expose  [consults lawyer again] dodgepots in the past would be (for me) an acceptable interviewer for a sleaze bag like Banks. But like I said, I agree ultimately that the BBC has for whatever reason (along with ITV) gone soft on these scrotes for too long, and because of that, I'm not in favour of him being interviewed on the telly.

Interviewing him interrogation style and focusing on [consults lawyers again] alleged wrongdoing is one thing, Having him on Questions Time is just madness.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ml1dch said:

It's odd how there wasn't "strong public interest" in the allegations in the first place.

And this point is also a good one. Better late than never. As a few have said, the establishment politicians will not do 'owt, so the media should be exposing this stuff.

On 01/11/2018 at 18:51, snowychap said:

That's a bizarre response. You're in Texas sharpshooter territory here.

Edit: Perhaps not precisely there but at the very least in to the area of mistakenly using only success/failure to judge and measure the choice/decision made. To go from that further on to talking about bases on which those decisions were made an then to put them up against some ifs and maybes is quite extraordinary.

Fancy a few hands of poker?

Not sure what you mean by Texas etc.

I don't think that with-hindsight assessment of success is a completely reasonable way to judge decisions made without that knowledge.

I do think that assessing those decisions in light of what knowledge was available to the decision-maker is fair.  In doing so, we assess the bases for the decisions. It's very commonplace.

No, I don't play poker,  too random.  Chess or Go, yes.

5 hours ago, blandy said:

But like I said, I agree ultimately that the BBC has for whatever reason (along with ITV) gone soft on these scrotes for too long, and because of that, I'm not in favour of him being interviewed on the telly.

"So Arron, are you able to confirm that this is nothing more than a vicious conspiracy, cooked up by bitter Remoaners?"

"That's right Andrew, thank you for the incisive question"

"Wonderful, glad that's all cleared up. Now, on a lighter topic, what variety of punishment would you endorse for treachorous Europhiles when the new Golden Reich under Life-President Farage begins?"

Edited by ml1dch

Â