The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

1 minute ago, Neil said:

Well this is a demographic statistic if ever there was one.

Sheffield awash with young and old eligible voters down the middle :-

SHEFFIELD DECLARATION

IN: 130,735

OUT: 136,018

I do find it very unfair that pensioners, that in truth only have a few years left, can swing this vote, well 16 and 17 year old who have the most to gain / loose get no say. 

• Like 1

Just now, Danwichmann said:

I do find it very unfair that pensioners, that in truth only have a few years left, can swing this vote, well 16 and 17 year old who have the most to gain / loose get no say. 

I dunno, they have the same entitlement...and they have the future of their siblings to vote for.  A lot of them remember life before Europe, my parents especially and they are hardcore out voters.  Not that my parents are pensioners yet.

1 minute ago, Danwichmann said:

Do we know that young people didn't come out in favour of out ? 

I'd much rather pensioners vote than 16 year olds with zero life knowledge and if Twitter etc is anything to go by just jump on whatever band-wagon is popular and will get them the most 'likes'.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Neil said:

I dunno, they have the same entitlement...and they have the future of their siblings to vote for.  A lot of them remember life before Europe, my parents especially and they are hardcore out voters.  Not that my parents are pensioners yet.

I'm not saying we should take the vote away from pensioners, that clearly isn't workable even if I thought it was fair. But it could have been given to 16 and 17 year old.  They are as capable of understanding the issue as most of the country, and will ultimately be the most effected. 

Just now, Danwichmann said:

I'm not saying we should take the vote away from pensioners, that clearly isn't workable even if I thought it was fair. But it could have been given to 16 and 17 year old.  They are as capable of understanding the issue as most of the country, and will ultimately be the most effected. 

I dont know about that, I suppose times have changed - but I guarantee that giving me or any of my mates the vote at the age of 16 or 17 would be a bad idea...

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

Do we know that young people didn't come out in favour of out ? 

Whether the young voted in or out isn't the point, it's that the results will effect their lives, for better or worse, and they haven't had a say in it. They may have voted out, we'll never know, but would have meant they had a say in their future. 

All down to the remaining London boroughs to save the remain campaign.

EDIT - and the biggest vote of the lot from Birmingham.

Latest forecast says it won't be enough.

Edited by brommy

3 minutes ago, penguin said:

I'd much rather pensioners vote than 16 year olds with zero life knowledge and if Twitter etc is anything to go by just jump on whatever band-wagon is popular and will get them the most 'likes'.

Do you think adults have been immune to that? I think huge proportions of people are influenced by social media, or even worse, the sun.

Academic now anyway. 

Bloke in Brussels was saying that in terms of laws and trade we are still bound by them for 2 years from the date we trigger the leave vote ( assuming of course )

So on that basis are the markets reacting on events that are at least  2 years in the future ?

3 minutes ago, Neil said:

I dont know about that, I suppose times have changed - but I guarantee that giving me or any of my mates the vote at the age of 16 or 17 would be a bad idea...

I work in primary schools,  as a supply teacher. Even at that age I've seen a lot of children very interested in this, and asking some intelligentand reasonable questions. Some 16 and 17 year wouldn't use their vote responsibly, but the same in true of many adults. 

3 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Bloke in Brussels was saying that in terms of laws and trade we are still bound by them for 2 years from the date we trigger the leave vote ( assuming of course )

So on that basis are the markets reacting on events that are at least  2 years in the future ?

But foreign investment will start to scale back before that. Long term confidence will be down, companies will scale back spending,  think twice before recruiting. That will all happen straight away.

7 minutes ago, Danwichmann said:

Whether the young voted in or out isn't the point, it's that the results will effect their lives, for better or worse, and they haven't had a say in it. They may have voted out, we'll never know, but would have meant they had a say in their future. 

events happen that effect people's lives all the time , they will get their  chance in years to come , probably when they are older and wiser and thus more likely to vote Tory :)

Â