The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

Just now, mjmooney said:

This. Low paid immigrants aren't the problem. Stinking rich British tax dodgers are. 

its too linear an argument though

not every immigrant is low paid  or indeed even a  problem ,  equally not every stinking rich British person is a tax dodger  , the wealthiest 1% still contribute 28% of all UK tax income

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

its too linear an argument though

not every immigrant is low paid  or indeed even a  problem ,  equally not every stinking rich British person is a tax dodger  , the wealthiest 1% still contribute 28% of all UK tax income

I don't think either of those arguments was being made!

2 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I don't think either of those arguments was being made!

You must be new here :) 

On VT you have to read between the lines of what is written and what is meant :P

• Like 1

Let’s just say there is no Brexit. At what point does the EU expansion end?  Aren’t there still quite a lot of countries that aren’t in the EU yet but are in Europe. When will Turkey be allowed to enter? Why stop there, why can’t the borders be opened to Counties outside the EU too?

2 hours ago, bickster said:

80% of Tory voters are nearly dead, it'll go away, slowly but it'll go

They'll be replaced by the new batch that get old and turn conservative 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Let’s just say there is no Brexit. At what point does the EU expansion end?  Aren’t there still quite a lot of countries that aren’t in the EU yet but are in Europe. When will Turkey be allowed to enter? Why stop there, why can’t the borders be opened to Counties outside the EU too?

I think it's gonna go the other way.

Just now, bickster said:

The average age of the turning point has steadily got older, it was around 40, it's now heading to around 55 iirc.

Do you have any stats or research to back this up?

I guess it would be an interesting thing to read up on.

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

The average age of the turning point has steadily got older, it was around 40, it's now heading to around 55 iirc.

Interesting factoid. 

People do, in general, live much longer now though which will balance that out. 

28 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

This. Low paid immigrants aren't the problem. Stinking rich British tax dodgers are. (I lack empathy for them, sorry). 

Stinkin rich tax dodgers are as much of a problem as lazy immigrants.

Hard working immigrants are as much value to the country as law abiding rich British people.

Unfortunately there are bad apples on both ends of the wealth scale :(

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Xela said:

Interesting factoid. 

People do, in general, live much longer now though which will balance that out. 

Thats no longer true either, I think last year life expectancy actually dropped for the fist time in decades

EDIT: This isn't quite true, the were a large number of countries that had a decreased life expectancy in 2014-2015, all of them bar two bounced back up in 2016. The 2 countries were the USA and UK which both continue to decline (Source: Some NHS website)

8 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Do you have any stats or research to back this up?

I guess it would be an interesting thing to read up on.

There's plenty out there, YouGov has it as moving up from 34 to 47 but YG is very Tory biased as an organisation.Others have it higher

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

As long as we have Cyprus  or specifically the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus  , I can't see Turkey being in  anytime soon

14 minutes ago, Xela said:

They'll be replaced by the new batch that get old and turn conservative 

is it age when labour voters convert to Tory or an amount of money in their bank account  ?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Turkey has been in the process of joining for 30 years. It still hasn't happened. There's various things that have stood in the way, both procedural (meeting the requirements the EU sets), cultural, political... It probably never will.

The EU already has agreements with a few nations on it's periphery, including the likes of Morocco, which have signed up to treaties and the like to secure the EU's border integrity and so on.

The EU will expand as it's membership decides. The member nations all have their own thoughts on expansion (Turkey's accession has been supported by the UK for donkeys, whereas other members have no interest in them joining at all, for instance). It's not something to worry about.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Turkey has been in the process of joining for 30 years. It still hasn't happened. There's various things that have stood in the way, both procedural (meeting the requirements the EU sets), cultural, political... It probably never will.

The EU already has agreements with a few nations on it's periphery, including the likes of Morocco, which have signed up to treaties and the like to secure the EU's border integrity and so on.

The EU will expand as it's membership decides. The member nations all have their own thoughts on expansion (Turkey's accession has been supported by the UK for donkeys, whereas other members have no interest in them joining at all, for instance). It's not something to worry about.

I’m not worried about it I just don’t understand how you can keep expanding and allowing free movement without controls on it. 

35 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

is it age when labour voters convert to Tory or an amount of money in their bank account  ?

Most Indian families supported labour once. It’s mainly Tory now. Wonder what changed...

Only make up about 2-3% of the electorate though so doesn’t make much difference.

33 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Most Indian families supported labour once. It’s mainly Tory now. Wonder what changed...

Only make up about 2-3% of the electorate though so doesn’t make much difference.

That's a Brexit or no Brexit difference ;)

Â