Aston Villa Protest Group

MikeMcKenna

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

I haven't done anything to help this protest so i can't be too critical. But as someone who went to the last game just to walk out I'm disappointed. 

You don't know what it is we're saying yet. Hold that thought!

Sorry, messed up formatting. Those are supposed to be Facebook links to this... https://www.facebook.com/outthedooron74/

Out the Door on 74 v Spurs postponed but Out the Door on 74 vs Chelsea will go ahead as planned.

It is pleasing to hear that the club is taking positive steps by appointing individuals of the calibre of Brian Little as an adviser to the board and David Bernstein on to the board of directors. In light of this development we feel it is fit and proper to postpone the ‘Out the Door on 74’ protest versus Tottenham on Sunday. However please be advised that we are just pausing and unless further positive developments as detailed below are forthcoming that ‘Out the Door on 74’ vs Chelsea (April 2nd) is still to go ahead, as will other forms of mass protest through till the end of the season.

We do not take this step lightly and we know this will come as a disappointment to many, but we believe it is only correct that we show those in charge of the club the same level of respect we as supporters deserve. A respect that has been lacking from them in recent years. We are still angry, we are still disaffected and we remain extremely sceptical. As supporters all we want is what is best for this great club we all love with an unrivalled passion.

It is too early to know whether this is the beginning of a determined attempt by the club to fundamentally change direction or merely spin to appease the fans. In the interests of fairness to supporters the club needs to act with extreme haste and state clearly and precisely what roles they will be undertaking within the boardroom.

The official statement reads “The Board promises its unswerving commitment to restoring the fortunes of Aston Villa”.

In what sense do they hope to achieve that? What do these appointments mean for Fox, Riley and Almstadt? We reiterate that at this stage we have had neither a response from the club to our Open Letter nor a statement from Randy Lerner reiterating his desire to sell the club.

We eagerly await word from within the club to confirm precisely what roles Brian Little and David Bernstein will fulfil. In addition we are calling on the club to now engage with supporters, publicly address the requests stated in our open letter and inform us as to what the next step will be towards providing us with a brighter future.

Up The Villa.

Aston Villa Protest Group.

• Like 1

I think this will kill any momentum you had going and wouldn't surprise me if the walk out numbers were much lower against Chelsea. I certainly won't be making the effort to join in again. I thought this was a serious movement to get major change at the club. 

• Like 1

Well said and very well done to all involved in getting the club to take a step in the right direction. Let us hope there is more to come from the club soon but I think the carrot and stick approach may well bear fruit.   

I think this will kill any momentum you had going and wouldn't surprise me if the walk out numbers were much lower against Chelsea. I certainly won't be making the effort to join in again. I thought this was a serious movement to get major change at the club. 

Jonah, believe me, both myself and @dont_do_it_doug. were on the same wave length as you but after a long discussion it just made sense to show the club some respect, even if they haven't shown us any recently.

This is just a pause to see where this goes. It's not the end.

• Like 1

Just now, sexbelowsound said:

Jonah, believe me, both myself and @dont_do_it_doug. were on the same wave length as you but after a long discussion it just made sense to show the club some respect, even if they haven't shown us any recently.

This is just a pause to see where this goes. It's not the end.

I can see your thinking but I think it's the wrong move. I wanted to get behind something but there seems little point if the club can appease us with zero results. Surely the respect comes when we see the positive impact on the club, otherwise all it takes is the right pr gestures to keep the fans onside. Isn't that a Doug Ellis move?

Like I said, I can't be too critical, you guys put the effort in and I did **** all. But I did support it and did join in. Now it feels like there's nothing to join in for if we put it on pause and kill momentum for something that hasn't even shown a positive impact yet. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I can see your thinking but I think it's the wrong move. I wanted to get behind something but there seems little point if the club can appease us with zero results. Surely the respect comes when we see the positive impact on the club, otherwise all it takes is the right pr gestures to keep the fans onside. Isn't that a Doug Ellis move?

Like I said, I can't be too critical, you guys put the effort in and I did **** all. But I did support it and did join in. Now it feels like there's nothing to join in for if we put it on pause and kill momentum for something that hasn't even shown a positive impact yet. 

I agree with you but also the OTDO movement was literally just the first wave of many. We know there is no way that we can just keep walking out and we'd eventually have to become far more inventive. We've already set up the Aston Villa Protest Group as a means to continue to put pressure on the club through different protests and social media.

I think the move from the club is bullshit myself. I think its been cleverly timed and is just white noise intended to distract from the real issues but i'm still right behind the decision to delay this protest. 

Delay, not end.

EDIT: Also, you say you did **** all, but you didn't. You helped to debate the pros of the protest with people who were dead against. That's a massive help.

Edited by sexbelowsound

13 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

'Serious movement' That's a bit unfair mate. If you knew how much effort and time has gone into this over the last 3/4 weeks you wouldn't doubt how serious we are. Literally hundreds and hundreds of hours have been spent promoting and managing OTDO74. 

We are not finished and still need people to stick together. 

1 minute ago, MikeMcKenna said:

'Serious movement' That's a bit unfair mate. If you knew how much effort and time has gone into this over the last 3/4 weeks you wouldn't doubt how serious we are. Literally hundreds and hundreds of hours have been spent promoting and managing OTDO74. 

We are not finished and still need people to stick together. 

I have no doubt about the effort you guys have put in. And if I haven't made it clear then I want you and the rest to know I really do appreciate it. I was over the moon that fans out there worked their arses off for something the rest of us could get behind. I just think this will kill the excellent momentum your hard work started. 

• Like 1

I have no doubt about the effort you guys have put in. And if I haven't made it clear then I want you and the rest to know I really do appreciate it. I was over the moon that fans out there worked their arses off for something the rest of us could get behind. I just think this will kill the excellent momentum your hard work started. 

It won't. Because we will continue to be dedicated. Right to the end. 

Freed up my Sunday as I now have no reason to watch the game against Spurs.

Fwiw I'm with Jonah on this one, think this will make it lose momentum.

But I´m sitting here in Sweden so it's not really my call...

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

I think this will kill any momentum you had going ...

That was my first thought when I read it as well

you got noticed by the club and they appear to be listening , I'd quit whilst your ahead rather than risk a non event v Chelsea ....

Hollis may just be the man that saves this club , let's give him a break whilst he removes Fox et al from the equation 

• Like 1

If I'm blunt, for people looking at this from the outside and not directly involved in the protests it might be seen as the club throwing the protester a bone by naming Little on the board. And the protesters going for it hook, line and sinker.

Do think this is a mistake and that it will be hard to get this particular protest going again.

There will be protests thou, of that I'm sure.

Edit: If this is cancelled against Spurs, then sorry I am done with this one

Edit 2: Seriously think you should reconsider this decision 

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

Â