Pre-Match Thread

maqroll

28 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Imagine the reaction on here if Garde put out that team and they lost (which they almost certainly would)

I don't think it would. There's a difference between putting out a team with some under-21s to see how good they are and putting out a team in the most important game of our season at Norwich with Sinclair, Clark and Richardson.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pilchard said:

I don't think it would. There's a difference between putting out a team with some under-21s to see how good they are and putting out a team in the most important game of our season at Norwich with Sinclair, Clark and Richardson.

It's not that there's anything wrong with the team.

It's the potential reaction from the people who have already decided that Garde isn't good enough if he put out a team like that and we lost. It would be a huge stick to beat Garde with and it would get used vigorously.

23 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's not that there's anything wrong with the team.

It's the potential reaction from the people who have already decided that Garde isn't good enough if he put out a team like that and we lost. It would be a huge stick to beat Garde with and it would get used vigorously.

Well speaking as someone who doesn't think Garde is good enough to get us promoted next year....

This game is the first in twenty or so extra pre-season friendlies for next year. I'd be disappointed not to see these players given a go instead of the usual crap (and the usual crap formation) that he and the people before him have used and failed with. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

I would guess a number of fans on here wouldn't be so understanding.

That's as maybe.  But the question then becomes, should we ever decide the team based on whether some fans will react negatively?  While I do think Richard's team has too many non-first teamers in it, I would hate to think we're picking players to placate the masses, or just as bad as that, the noisy minority.

Personally I'd have no problem with Calder or Kinsella.  In fact I'd even be slightly impressed with Garde if we went that route.  After all, if twitter (for example) isn't foaming at the mouth then you're not doing something right :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

That's as maybe.  But the question then becomes, should we ever decide the team based on whether some fans will react negatively?  While I do think Richard's team has too many non-first teamers in it, I would hate to think we're picking players to placate the masses, or just as bad as that, the noisy minority.

Of course we shouldn't. And I never suggested anything of the sort.

All I'm saying is that I'm sure a lot of the people saying "play the kids" would be the same people slating Garde for his selection if he did pick the kids and the team lost.

FWIW I think Garde will continue to pick teams similar to the ones he's picked in the past. Which I'm fine with, they're normally our best XI give or take.

No I know you never suggested we do that.  I was just saying in not too many words that Garde shouldn't give a flying f*ck what a forum thinks, whether it's me or anyone else moaning.  His concern should be managing his dressing room, and with that in mind picking those who deserve it.  I did find it interesting that in a recent article he has encouraged the board to help him to get rid of the less desireable elements.  This tells me that there are less desireable elements and that Garde has some plan as to how he's going to right this ship.

Going back to picking the kids.  I think one or two here or there might keep everyone focussed.  A continually losing team who are not under pressure to keep their starting place is probably the worst kind of scenario for a club to be in.  If you're not losing your position when you're losing, then when exactly should you lose it (rhetorically speaking).

my logic is we are down. half the first team wont be here anyway next year. looks like we wont have much money to spend. people have said he looks angry because the first teamers are not doing as they are told. the team is losing anyway so we have nothing more to lose. he has to do SOMETHING different as doing the same thing and expecting different results is madness.  He picked the kids  (and by the way I'm suggesting 3 or 5) at least i'd understand what he was doing and respect it.  At the minute it aint working because he is doing the same things week out week in

For me you remove the element that think this is all a bit of a joke.  Guzan & Lescott on the Wycombe bench.  The story of Richardson rubbing his thumb and index finger together in a 'making loads of money' gesture when asked facetiously why he doesn't just give up playing.  There may be more, and maybe 'gumgate' is a one-off, but if Garde has identified poisonous characters in the dressing room then regardless of their status within the squad they should not get anywhere near the first team again.  That's the absolute minimum I expect from my team.  Respect for the shirt, the club and the fans plus 100% effort for the cause.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BOF said:

No I know you never suggested we do that.  I was just saying in not too many words that Garde shouldn't give a flying f*ck what a forum thinks, whether it's me or anyone else moaning.  His concern should be managing his dressing room, and with that in mind picking those who deserve it.  I did find it interesting that in a recent article he has encouraged the board to help him to get rid of the less desireable elements.  This tells me that there are less desireable elements and that Garde has some plan as to how he's going to right this ship.

I agree. And fwiw I believe that's what he's doing. He doesn't always get it right, but he's putting the XI out there every week that he thinks is our best XI. The only exception would be Wycombe and Norwich where we rested players.

I also share your belief that he has a plan, and I'm hopeful that it's a good one, even though some fans can't yet see it. But I fully admit that's based more on a hunch and a vague improvement in certain areas than much else.

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

the fans would get behind that team Richard put out ahead of watching SInclair, Gestede, Richardson and Westwood tonight

The fans would get behind most teams we put out.

When we lose, a lot of fans will use whatever ammunition they have to have a go at him. The fact he played some kids instead of some more experienced and, arguably, capable players would be ammunition for those fans.

That's the only point I was making.

if we played the team Richard suggested and lost, I guarantee there would be uproar on here regarding him putting those players out there.

30 minutes ago, Richard said:

my logic is we are down. half the first team wont be here anyway next year. looks like we wont have much money to spend. people have said he looks angry because the first teamers are not doing as they are told. the team is losing anyway so we have nothing more to lose. he has to do SOMETHING different as doing the same thing and expecting different results is madness.  He picked the kids  (and by the way I'm suggesting 3 or 5) at least i'd understand what he was doing and respect it.  At the minute it aint working because he is doing the same things week out week in

I understand the view point that we are down, I agree with it. But the manager has a job to try and do all he can to help us out of this mess with the believe that we can avoid relegation so he probably doesn't have the same view point as most fans.

I'd like to see the kids get a run out, but only from a curiosity point of view. I think that if they're not being picked, the most recent batch of 19-21 year olds were just rubbish, and the current 16-18 year olds are just not ready. I'd like to see Rushian get a run out, or Easah at left back, but if they're just going to have their arses handed to them for 90 minutes, I don't think it would be a worthwhile experiment, and that's likely to be the case, considering how our season has gone so far. 

The Wycombe game would have been the place to try them out, and I say that with the benefit of hindsight considering we didn't get the win that might have lifted the team's spirit, as might have been Garde's thinking. Maybe a couple thrown into the replay would be interesting, considering it's Man City in the next round, and a cup run that lifts the entire club seems sadly unlikely, and any uplifting win would be nullified slightly with the knowledge that it's City in the next round - although their away form is dreadful. 

There doesn't seem to be a lot of talk about Lyden. I think his Aussieness is making people think he's just another Herd, but maybe he isn't..?

• Like 1

I forgot about Suliman and Lyden.  Particularly Suliman.  Along with Hepburn-Murphy & Calder he's getting plenty of accolades.  I imagine we'll see them at some point before the season is out.  They can't be that much worse than what's on the pitch that they don't merit a few minutes here or there before the curtain comes down on our time in the Prem :(

16 minutes ago, YLN said:

The Wycombe game would have been the place to try them out, and I say that with the benefit of hindsight considering we didn't get the win that might have lifted the team's spirit, as might have been Garde's thinking.

But, again, you can guarantee that if we'd lost against Wycombe with the kids playing, there would have been uproar as to why we're resting players in the cup when we've got no chance of surviving in the league.

The only way Garde can play the kids without a backlash is if they win the game. And given how crap our first team is I don't hold out much hope.

------------------------------Guzan---------------------------

Richards----------Okore------------Lescott---------Bacuna

--------------------Sanchez-----------Gueye-------------------

--------------Sinclair--Kozak--Gestede--Ayew----------------

4-2-4 hoofball to the big men and see if anyone can get on the end of anything, and I mean proper hoofball like Wimbledon used to do. We appear to have tried everything else to no avail and Palace won't be expecting it

I know that Sherwood was keen to sack off the U21 team and maybe even pull them out of a league format and just concentrate on behind closed doors games against league opposition so that the lads learned the physical side of the game. Playing against U21s the same as themselves basically teaching them not much,  also that our bunc of U21s were not highly thought of but surely if they are going to learn then they learn now and bring that to the party next season in the chumpionship

My attempt at guessing the line up would be:

--------------------Bunn--------------------
Richards---Clark---Okore---Cissoko
-------Gana----------------Lyden--------
-----------------Veretout------------------
Bacuna--------------------------------Gil
--------------------Ayew------------------

• Like 1