Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

6 minutes ago, bobzy said:

If we don't go up in the next two seasons - not just this one - but we'll have spend a whole load of money with the need to (presumably) spend more. FFP could kick in at that point and I doubt the Football League would be happy with a huge overspend.

I could be wrong, but it worries me slightly. 

Another concern is the quality of relegated teams will only increase as more money is spent in the Premier League.

It won't be long until the quality of team relegated would be that of a mid-table team now. That is the unfortunate future of a league that just had £5.1 billion injected into it..

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NIVillan said:

I think we may be okay for FFP due to us receiving the parachute payments for Relegation from the Premier League.  

In two years time if still in this league we will be in trouble as we lose that income.

The way Tony acts in the transfer market i wouldnt be surprised if he makes decent headway to promoting us in his own markets. This could soften the blow from ffp hopefully.

However i would say getting back to the prem will be a major driver in that too.

26 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

If the squad isn't being maintained or the manager backed, then we have every right to complain yes. 

The two scenarios are at complete opposite ends of the scale. Your devil's advocate almost  makes it sound like he'd rather the manager wasn't backed to the hilt!

It doesn't matter if the scenarios are different. We can't pick and choose the moments in which we take the attitude of 'its not our money' imo.

3 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

It doesn't matter if the scenarios are different. We can't pick and choose the moments in which we take the attitude of 'its not our money' imo.

No, but we can choose to be annoyed if the club is being run badly or being allowed to decline through lack of investment. The owner has a responsibility to make sure the team is as competitive as it can possibly be. 

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

For what it's worth, I agree with the point. We're paying huge amounts for Championship quality players.

It means we have to get promoted this season or the next - otherwise this could really bite us in the ass. 

I also agree we have alot of entitled fans, how many times have you seen 'because we are Aston Villa' as an answer on twittet et al. Im sure alot of clubs view us in a poor light because of this not just Norwich.

Theres no denying we have a target on our backs this year anyway so hopecully the team stands up and embraces that.

Edited by RaptureJames
Posting whilst feesing the baby is not conducive to good typing
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

I do think the situation is rather different from Lerner, we're a club in massive decline and gasping for air.

We're at the point of "go for broke"...go down trying everything we can to get bacckk, otherwise we're banished to lower league obscurity for a long time anyway.  Irresponsible spending isn't going to add much to the final penalty if it doens't work out either way so I'd prefer to give it the best shot, regardless of the financial cost.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

No, but we can choose to be annoyed if the club is being run badly or being allowed to decline through lack of investment. The owner has a responsibility to make sure the team is as competitive as it can possibly be. 

Which only further raises the question why not many of us show concerns at the time when the money is being spent in such a ridiculous way.

2 minutes ago, Neil said:

I do think the situation is rather different from Lerner, we're a club in massive decline and gasping for air.

We're at the point of "go for broke"...go down trying everything we can to get bacckk, otherwise we're banished to lower league obscurity for a long time anyway.  Irresponsible spending isn't going to add much to the final penalty if it doens't work out either way so I'd prefer to give it the best shot, regardless of the financial cost.

I think it was a time for stability and keeping things simple. I look at the team and it still lacks balance. We have 4/5 strikers. I've no idea where any of them play up front. 

Just seem to be throwing money at it with very little direction. 

5 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

Which only further raises the question why not many of us show concerns at the time when the money is being spent in such a ridiculous way.

It really rather depends if Xia has a backup plan should we fail to reach promotion in the first few years.

That is to say, Lerners entire plan was reaching the Champions League and that was the measure of his financial clout.  Failure to reach the Champions League had everything come tumbling down like a tonne of bricks.

Hopefully, failure to reach promotion isn't Xia's one trick Pony and pulls the plug based on that failure.  Lerner was a crappy chancer really, gambled and lost.  Hopefully Xia can absorb costs for longer.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

We're doing our best to get out of a league that's easy to get stuck in. You'd be happy if we'd spent a lot less and not gone for it?

15 hours ago, Richard said:

Not sure I agree with that.   I think the only disappointing thing about our midfield business is we lost Gana permanently.

We have signed a huge talent in Tshibola who will be better than Delph IMO and in Jedinak we have a player we have lacked in our midfield for five years,  a leader.  So for me our midfield has improved. I would agree that wide midfield needs improving and I believe our next signing will be in that position.  But in Jedinak and Tshibola I believe we have the two best players in those positions in the league

De Laet is far superior to Hutton at right back merely because he isnt Hutton.  He is also better than Bacuna who I think will feature as midfield back up this season anyway.

Our defence is the best in the league IMO and in Kodjia, Gestede, Mccormack and Ayew we have 42M of best forward line in this division.

I don't agree Richard. I don't rate de Laet in the slightest. He has no end product going forward and is awful at defending. I don't see any upgrade on Hutton or Bacuna. Tshibola may prove to be a good player but little is known about him. Jedinak is a bang average player and always has been. He has never been anything special and is not going to improve suddenly at 32. His best days are behind him not that they were anything to write home about in the first place. Ayew is simply woeful and doesn't have a single brain cell which causes a large number of attacks to break down as he constantly makes the wrong decisions time after time.

The best defence in the league doesn't concede 3 goals in 30 mins to Bristol City.

What has to be understood is the need to get into the premier league to properly grow the business in the east.   If there has to be a short term loss to get us to the oplace we need to be so be it.

3 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

You see, I think there has been plenty of direction. What are the things the majority of us wanted? Get rid of all the shite from last season. Which we've nearly done. Have a spine of players who will fight for the club and give their all. Which we've done. Improve in other positions (gk, rb, CB, cm, st) which we've done. Still time to improve the width (Adomah). I think we all agree we'd like more but the amount that's been done cannot go unnoticed so to say we're throwing money at it without much direction is just plain wrong, in my opinion of course.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

I think it was a time for stability and keeping things simple. I look at the team and it still lacks balance. We have 4/5 strikers. I've no idea where any of them play up front. 

Dunno, I guess the manager wanted players and Xia sought to approve all he wanted...so he's backing the managers "plan" I would hope.

We're supposed to be creating the most chances in the league, just not putting them away.  Hopefully that is an analyzed situation because if we could start going 2-nil up before half time instead of just 1-nil up it could change the 2nd half syndrome quite quickly.  Presumably he's looking to bolster our scoring options + backup.