Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

1 minute ago, terrytini said:

I doubt it.  It would've been like throwing each player into quicksand with the overarching ethos and culture pervading at the Club.

That's what makes the current achievement of getting decent players in, playing (some) decent football, stopping conceding goals, and getting fans enthused so remarkable.

To buy a few players takes money.  To make it worth it takes a Manager who has an idea what he wants to do, with back up staff, and an owner who cares what is going on and is prepared to fund it, wages, removal of deadwood, and all.

To rebuild a whole team really is like turning a super tanker around. To do that when it is in freefall AND to change the mood at an entire Club is incredible.  I've not seen it done before.

I would add the rider it is still early days, and twitter could backfire, and results might not come quickly enough to keep fans buoyant, but really, as we stand right now, this is terrific stuff.

After the Luton game I don't think we could have asked for more.  Long may it continue. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, guyavfc said:

James McCarthy has apparently been told he can leave. Twitter chat says Newcastle and Celtic are after him, I thought he was meant to be highly rated?

I'm happy with the Jedi. Also would rather we kept faith with Tish. McCarthy would want a starting place, so it's a no from me. He'll end up at Hull, Sunderland or maybe even Newcastle as mentioned.

• Like 1

Just now, DK82 said:

I'm happy with the Jedi. Also would rather we kept faith with Tish. McCarthy would want a starting place, so it's a no from me. He'll end up at Hull, Sunderland or maybe even Newcastle as mentioned.

I disagree.  If a new midfield signing mean we shift out Westwood and or Gardner then Id be happy.  It's a long gruelling season and we need 4 Centre mids that can come in a do a job at any time.  Competition for places is healthy.

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I disagree.  If a new midfield signing mean we shift out Westwood and or Gardner then Id be happy.  It's a long gruelling season and we need 4 Centre mids that can come in a do a job at any time.  Competition for places is healthy.

I'm not sure McCarthy is the man to come in. Rather we look at somebody younger who won't expect first team football. If we get McCarthy he'd want that.

Just now, DK82 said:

I'm not sure McCarthy is the man to come in. Rather we look at somebody younger who won't expect first team football. If we get McCarthy he'd want that.

McCarthy is 25.  Anyway we probably won't be in for him but I think he would be a good signing.

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

McCarthy is 25.  Anyway we probably won't be in for him but I think he would be a good signing.

We'd have to drop Jedi or Tish, something I am not willing us to do. Nothing to do with his age. I'd look at Harrison Reed of Southampton.

I wouldn't read too much into Hull looking to sign a forward, these are the ones they have one the books at the moment, Hernández, Diomandé, Jarrod Bowen (youngster, scored a few i pre-season), Greg Luer (only played twice for Hull, spent 16 games elsewhere without scoring), Johan Ter Horst, and Ben Hinchliffe. So whether or not they keep Hernández, I think it's safe to say that they going to be looking to improve in that area, regardless.

McCarthy is probably a case of unfulfilled potential, loyalty to Roberto Martinez has held him back but he still is a solid Premier League midfielder. If we hadn't already signed Jedinak and Tshibola it would be a sensational signing for a Championship club but if signed now it would just be loading up on an unnecessary area. The amount of football he has played for a 25 year old is crazy, 358 first team appearances. I remember seeing him play for Hamilton and he was a class attacking/right midfielder who moved gracefully with the ball. I thought he'd end up being a lot better.

One loan signing I'd like to see would be Andreas Pereira, would provide a bit of creativity and cover in the attacking midfield areas.

For a number 9 marquee signing Hernandez would be great but it could be anyone at this stage.

Edited by Kuwabatake Sanjuro
  • Like 1

Just now, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

McCarthy is probably a case of unfulfilled potential, loyalty to Roberto Martinez has held him back but he still is a solid Premier League midfielder. If we hadn't already signed Jedinak and Tshibola it would be a sensational signing for a Championship club but if signed now it would just be loading up on an unnecessary area.

One loan signing I'd like to see would be Andreas Pereira, would provide a bit of creativity and cover in the attacking midfield areas.

For a number 9 marquee signing Hernandez would be great but it could be anyone at this stage.

That's how I see it with McCarthy. I'd like to replace Westwood with Harrison Reed and then add one more - a midfielder who is slightly different to what we have. Then I think we are ok.

1 minute ago, DK82 said:

We'd have to drop Jedi or Tish, something I am not willing us to do. Nothing to do with his age. I'd look at Harrison Reed of Southampton.

You haven't even seen Jed play for us yet! I know where you're coming from I've just never understood not wanting us to sign a player better than what we have becomes he might get in the team over another player. 

It's all hypothetical anyway as we're not even in for him :)

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

You haven't even seen Jed play for us yet! I know where you're coming from I've just never understood not wanting us to sign a player better than what we have becomes he might get in the team over another player. 

It's all hypothetical anyway as we're not even in for him :)

But I know the sort of player Jedi is and we'd be a little mad to sign McCarthy as well, just because Jedi hasn't played for us yet.

Yep hypothetical, but still a good debate. As I said, I would rather look at Reed. Think he has a big future but doesn't get much game time.