The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

Sherwood came off as a complete arse in the end, but he got the best out of the players we had, something Lambert couldn't but I think once we were safe from relegation the players were done physically and mentally. And then the clown transfer committee kicked in and Sherwood was so far out of his depth he drowned, as he couldn't integrate the players we had signed and clearly wanted Adebeyor and various other Spurs off casts that we refused to sign.

Garde comes across as a decent and honest bloke, who call's a spade a spade, but I am not sure stating our youth aren't good enough, our squad isn't good enough, our players don't train hard enough or try for him, the club haven't backed him etc.. really helps. 

The squad isn't a good one, that we know, but I don't personally believe that the squad is as bad as the hype would have us believe or that another manager couldn't have kept us in the league short term, long term I believe if we can keep and back Garde he could build something, but he was never going to keep us in the league.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

Sherwood came off as a complete arse in the end, but he got the best out of the players we had, something Lambert couldn't but I think once we were safe from relegation the players were done physically and mentally. And then the clown transfer committee kicked in and Sherwood was so far out of his depth he drowned, as he couldn't integrate the players we had signed and clearly wanted Adebeyor and various other Spurs off casts that we refused to sign.

Garde comes across as a decent and honest bloke, who call's a spade a spade, but I am not sure stating our youth aren't good enough, our squad isn't good enough, our players don't train hard enough or try for him, the club haven't backed him etc.. really helps. 

The squad isn't a good one, that we know, but I don't personally believe that the squad is as bad as the hype would have us believe or that another manager couldn't have kept us in the league short term, long term I believe if we can keep and back Garde he could build something, but he was never going to keep us in the league.

Lambert and Sherwood only survived relegation because of Benteke's goals. Once he was sold and the board/Sherwood failed to adequately replace him, we were doomed.

As for everything else, Garde does have a legitimate argument, the board failed to secure a single signing in January despite the desperate need to improve the squad.

As for the youth, I can't think of one player who would consistently get in the first team, Grealish being the latest product to prove the point.

there's a couple of ways we'll find out if he's a good or bad manager...

1, he stays with us, gets backed, brings us back up in to the Prem and we stay there and go on to build a solid team, or he stays and we flounder into mediocrity 
2, He gets the sack/resigns moves on to another club turns them into a success or failure

Until this happens we'll never know. We have to wait and see. What i do know is he talks a good game and tells it as is is. It would be interesting to see a team of 'his' players perform. Clearly the ones out there now are not performing, regardless of ability you would still expect to see a 'shift' put in, and we are not seeing that......who's fault is that? The players or the manager?

PS;
Sunday Times running a full page article on Remi. Saw the article while i was in the coffee shop this morning and thought i'd read it later, but then, doh!!!! left the paper in the shop....ST has a firewall...anyone with copy of the article?

Edited by imavillan

I think it's clear that Garde is given a lot more of a pass than Sherwood. Think back to last season and Sherwood was getting hammered while keeping us up and getting us to a cup final. 

Garde has been given a free pass mainly it seems because his boss is a word removed and he replaced a word removed. 

1 hour ago, Supervillan78 said:

Lambert and Sherwood only survived relegation because of Benteke's goals. Once he was sold and the board/Sherwood failed to adequately replace him, we were doomed.

As for everything else, Garde does have a legitimate argument, the board failed to secure a single signing in January despite the desperate need to improve the squad.

As for the youth, I can't think of one player who would consistently get in the first team, Grealish being the latest product to prove the point.

I'm not saying Garde doesn't have a valid point, but in this case the players aren't playing for anything, they know we are as good as down, they as much as the fans can feel the negativity and constant mocking in the press. The difference being that while the fans suffer the players will just move on and pick up a fat pay cheque somewhere else. Telling them they are crap at this stage isn't going to motivate them or change anything, as they will just blame the club, anyone but themselves.

Not saying our youth are that good, but I presume we are going to have to rely on some of them next year so we may as well get at few of them on the bench, which to be fair he is doing, but they need to get pitch time. 

I have seen enough from Grealish to believe he is or could be a good player, just again so many circumstances around the club and a tainted attitude from the player himself have meant his true ability is hard to assess.

I know everyone buys into the negativity around the club, I do also. But I do wonder if some of it is being greatly exaggerated and in part used by the manager to lower our expectations to zero. Maybe not or maybe the truth is somewhere in between.

Edited by VillanousOne

Â