The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

26 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

I am not arguing, BTW. You made a factual claim; I showed it was wrong. No argument.

If it makes you feel better then you can believe that :crylaugh: 

Congrats :D:D

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Well, that's a *bit* spurious. They allowed him to recall a left back from loan after our only other viable choice at left back's knee exploded. 

Cissokho has been OK to be fair. One of the few I don't despise. 

He whipped in a beautiful cross today in the 1st half.
Absolutely no-one was in the box and Gabby was just standing on the edge of the D thinking about pies.

45 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

He keeps picking Westwood, never makes the right changes at the right time. Comes across terrible in interviews.

But who is he meant to pick? The only people left are U21 players. He seemed to have settled Sanchez into the holding role and he got inured. Westwood wasn't in the team but then Ayew decided to have a spaz at West Ham and there is literally no-one else left to play.

It is absolutely criminal that Garde wasn't allowed to buy the defensive midfielder he wanted in January. The board and Lerner threw him under the bus. 

I can't understand how you conclude that Garde comes across as terrible in interviews. He's calm articulate and makes sense. Is Sherwood the standard bearer for interviews? i.e. chatting jibberish and being unable to form a coherent sentence then crying like a 4 year old when he helps the team to throw away a 2-0 lead.

2 hours ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Id also question the wisdom of publicly saying "they're not good enough" or "lack quality" when confidence was obviously very low to begin with.

So should they not come out fighting and prove him wrong....the pussy footing has to stop....confidence....are we kidding how can it get lower.

He has to be applauded for his honesty.....something lacking at the club.

no more hidden agenda's

• Like 3

I wouldn't know what to do with this lot.....it's much worse than when O'Leary had the mutineers.

He has Hobsons choice with most things he faces.....he's buggered all ways up.

we have wasted millions on players we have got little from and are now paying the price.

He can be criticised for decisions but his alternatives appear no better.....It needs a clear out.

if we change managers it will take another manager 4 months to find out where the problems are we are losing valuable rectification time.

Edited by TRO

He comes across like a man who is trying to be positive when all around him is negative.

He looks like someone who knows it is much worse than everyone thinks but is trying to wear a brave face.

I think we are far more in the **** Than even we think.

13 minutes ago, TRO said:

So should they not come out fighting and prove him wrong....the pussy footing has to stop....confidence....are we kidding how can it get lower.

He has to be applauded for his honesty.....something lacking at the club.

no more hidden agenda's

Well Leicester are a great example of what confidence can do. I appreciate honest appraisal  but he could have been more diplomatic with it, perhaps we would have faired better.

it's like a transport manager who has trucks, some with bald tyres, some with blowing exhausts and some with serious oil leaks.....moaning drivers and an owner with no money......trying to get the right drivers in the right vehicles for the certain runs.

My brain hurts......and I suspect so does Remi's

Always looks like a guy who knows he's backed a bunch of loser's but just cannot find the courage to change things, nothing to our remi but dropping league after league. We need a tough nut at the helm that can do things on a shoe string and recognise a footballer from a charlatan just here for the payday. Lerner may be the main problem but you cannot blame him for the day to day running of this club and the actions of those employed here, if you take on the job you either swim or drown.

There has to be some sort of expectation on him. We can't have a highly paid manager whose results and performances don't matter. That doesn't sit right with me. 

As I said earlier, if we were happy for someone to babysit the players while we're relegated in last place any of our last 3 managers could have done it. 

Now he's working with the worst squad in the league and for the worst owner in a difficult terrible situation. But again, if there's no expectation we might as well have hired the cheapest manager available. 

Sherwood got criticism for not keeping a settled side and was accused in some quarters of chopping and changing.

Remi too has the same issue and is searching for a glimmer of light.

No matter what permutation you choose this squad is inadequate.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, settle villa said:

Our biggest problem will arrive in the summer when the players who the ' committee ' spent 40million on are worth a combined 5million. 

And that too has been the problem in the past and we are just not learning.....this problem is killing everything about the club.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Sherwood got criticism for not keeping a settled side and was accused in some quarters of chopping and changing.

Remi too has the same issue and is searching for a glimmer of light.

No matter what permutation you choose this squad is inadequate.

The difference is Garde has what looks like a plan. He has a formation and he's playing players in their best position by and large. The results are far from satisfactory, but at least Garde looks like he has a system that he's trying to implement.

Sherwood was changing formation, personnel, system every week without anything that looked like an aim. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The difference is Garde has what looks like a plan.

It's increasingly looking to me like that plan is walking away in May with his head held high.   Going down with us isn't really going to harm his reputation, even neutrals with a mere passing interest in the club seem to agree that Remi was betrayed by the boardroom in the January window and they also agree that this squad simply isn't good enough to be in the Premier League. Villa wouldn't be able to come back from the damage done in 2015 if we'd appointed Lazarus as manager let alone Remi Garde so he can walk and find a job elsewhere reputation intact.  That won't be the case if we fail to get promoted back at the first attempt and with the current state of the club at boardroom level does anybody actually expect us to do well in the Championship? 

Bunn was third or fourth choice at Norwich and has never been first choice at any club he's been at except Northampton Town. The fact he was our second choice keeper was surprising, the fact he is our first is even more baffling. Not that anyone would argue about Guzan needing to be dropped.

Garde eventually got the central pairing of Lescott and Okore right, but lets be honest Lescott is still pretty shit. But not as crap as Richards or Clark. Cissokho has done ok since he brought him back so there's one plus as at least Richardson and Bennett didn't get picked. At right back I am sure he will revert back to Richards over Hutton but neither are great.

Gestede is awful, but he tried with him and even gave Kozak a game, to no real avail but he tried. Now Kozak is injured and Gestede is getting back to full crapness. I don't think he rates Gabby but he is literally the only fit striker left, unless you count Sinclair who has done nothing under Garde.

Grealish has been in trouble with Garde or injured. Ayew seemed to respond to Garde until he realised that no amount of effort would make the team win because the people around him are so talentless and so he got surly, impatient and the sending off was coming for weeks.

The midfield you can criticise that he has kept faith with Bacuna, but again I don't think Garde would pick any of the midfield he is currently, because all of them are terrible. Vertout was good for about 5 mins under Garde, now he is as lost as the rest. All Garde has to choose from to change things is Lyden or Sanchez if he ever recovers from injury. Neither will make any kind of a difference. 

Only players that could change things are Amavi or Traore, we will be relegated before the former returns and I doubt Traore will get much pitch time even if he is fit.

The trouble is so many players went backwards under Garde and got worse, now is that down to the manager or confidence? There is a such a smokescreen of negativity, twitter storms, club politics, fan outrage, board room clownery and internal transfer bungling, that Garde's ability and value are lost in all the noise. You could find that if all the noise clears he is just as shite as everyone else.

• Like 3

Â