The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

The phone line to claim Iain Duncan Smith’s new benefits system will cost callers trying to get assistance as much as 45p a minute, it has been confirmed

Seems the indie duped me and appear to deliberaty intended to  mislead ?

0345 numbers are included in mobile phone talk plans and for those like pay as you go they count as a bog standard call rate 

13 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

By writing the following at the bottom of their article with a link to a page detailing 0345 call charges and by also providing a link to that page in the bit of the story that you quoted on here?

The typical charges for 0345 numbers across networks can be found here.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, snowychap said:

By writing the following at the bottom of their article with a link to a page detailing 0345 call charges and by also providing a link to that page in the bit of the story that you quoted on here?

More that they modified the original article as can be seen via some of the comments 

That and the fact I didn't read the whole article :)

3 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I confess I don't really understand. At issue is the criminalisation of local governments and other bodies, such as student unions, boycotting certain products, mostly agricultural produce grown in illegal settlements. Nobody, to my understanding, has actually proposed boycotting all Israeli products. However, even if they did, the types of organisation that are under discussion are not able to dictate which medicines are available on the NHS. 

As to whether any individual feels strongly enough about boycotting Israeli products to not use a drug that could save their lives, well, that's up to them and their consciences I guess. But that's not relevant to the legislation?

I'm sure I'm just being dumb, and missing the point here somehow. 

There's nothing much there to understand Hanoi. I repeated a point I half heard on the radio that I thought was interesting, then found myself suckered in to defending it where I should have made clear I was just repeating it for the point of debate.

I'm still interested in the ethics of it, the NHS bit wasn't the intended point of interest. The point I was blundering around was exactly how principled the people / students/ councillors making these decisions might be. It's easy to ban orange juice from the canteen, then buy sweatshop trainers and Saudi petrol and Chinese tat.

I think it's less about you being dumb, more about my point lacking any real focus or conviction!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

0345 numbers are included in mobile phone talk plans and for those like pay as you go they count as a bog standard call rate 

It's a very poor newspaper and won't be missed.

28 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

There's nothing much there to understand Hanoi. I repeated a point I half heard on the radio that I thought was interesting, then found myself suckered in to defending it where I should have made clear I was just repeating it for the point of debate.

I'm still interested in the ethics of it, the NHS bit wasn't the intended point of interest. The point I was blundering around was exactly how principled the people / students/ councillors making these decisions might be. It's easy to ban orange juice from the canteen, then buy sweatshop trainers and Saudi petrol and Chinese tat.

I think it's less about you being dumb, more about my point lacking any real focus or conviction!

Gotcha!

I would assume most people are probably not 'that' principled . . . . it's kind of hard to live your life like that. Avoiding things 'made in China' is pretty much consigning yourself to an agrarian existence in a mud hut. 

As I said, most of the boycotts I've seen proposed are targeted quite specifically at produce from settlements. Certainly this is the most effective, IMO, because it makes clear the issue is with 'the policy not the people'. EDIT: . . . . and therefore it's much easier to uphold consistently, which was the point of this paragraph!

Edited by HanoiVillan

On 18 February 2016 at 22:03, Risso said:

It's a very poor newspaper and won't be missed.

I think the opposite, Though if you only went off their website I'd agree. The actual paper paper is excellent.

1 hour ago, blandy said:

Blimey - I'd forgotten about that Moose - it was on my first Mac!

that and Oscsar the Grouch are why Microsoft will never rule the universe   

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

that and Oscsr the Grouch are why Microsoft will never rule the universe   

I hacked into that grouch control panel so that when he said 'oh, I love trash!' he sounded like Regan from the Exorcist. 

Good times :)

• Like 1

Â