The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

Wtf was that.

Only thing I can think of was that it was a deliberate attempt to push the party toward the centre, which I can't say I'm not slightly relieved at, given the right wing bollox Truss spouted the other day in America. 

Half the Conservative party is f***ing furious right now. You know, the racist half.

Not having seen this Sunak nonsense, I'm presuming this has something to do with Rochdale electing a terrorist propagandist and fundraiser?
Did he actually say the situation requires strong leadership? With a straight face? With no hint of irony?

I don't really get the hysteria about Galloway from some quarters, like he hasn't spent several terms in parliament already. It's not a sign of the end times.

• Like 1

Just now, Davkaus said:

I don't really get the hysteria about Galloway from some quarters, like he hasn't spent several terms in parliament already. It's not a sign of the end times.

No of course it isn’t, he'll only be there until the election and will probably only attend parliament to grandstand occasionally.

But on the other hand people really should know who he is and what he’s about.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

The country is a mess and I think he raised some good points. He ought to write to his MP.

What can Ted Lieu do about it?

1 minute ago, bickster said:

No of course it isn’t, he'll only be there until the election and will probably only attend parliament to grandstand occasionally.

But on the other hand people really should know who he is and what he’s about.

Oh I agree. He's an absolute shithead. Thing is, he was last time as well.

For what it's worth I'm not criticising posters on here, when we have politics threads we'll talk about all kinds of stuff and make points about things without thinking it's the most significant thing in the world, it's more the likes of Sunak, Starmer, and the shock and horror in articles in the guardian etc.

He's a decisive word removed who's shown many times that he can effectively weaponise emotional topics. I'm not glad he's elected, just think some of the public horror is a bit weird when he's only been out of politics for a few years, and as you say, it'll amount to nothing.

It's a bit of a non event for me.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

He's a decisive word removed who's shown many times that he can effectively weaponise emotional topics. I'm not glad he's elected, just think some of the public horror is a bit weird when he's only been out of politics for a few years, and as you say, it'll amount to nothing.

It's a bit of a non event for me.

It is, but so would the election (in exceptional circumstances) of his brethren like Farage, Williamson, Griffin etc. It wouldn't amount to anything huge, but it's still pretty unpleasant that there are people who would choose to vote for them.

With all that rhetoric about resisting extremism I had thought he was leading up to kicking Anderson, Truss, and Braverman out of the party. But apparently he didn’t mean his extremists.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

It is, but so would the election (in exceptional circumstances) of his brethren like Farage, Williamson, Griffin etc. It wouldn't amount to anything huge, but it's still pretty unpleasant that there are people who would choose to vote for them.

A lot of Muslims would have voted for him on the Gaza issue alone (and Iraq). They don’t realise he supported Assad or numerous other murderous dictators. He knows how to play the crowd. He’s a horrible horrible individual.

• Like 1

I didn’t see the speech but just reading about it on Sky News (it’s not on the bbc homepage which is surprising).

I can’t believe Rishi Sunak, who has appointed, defended and promoted several people with extreme and racist views said we should all be concerned about extremism… he’s taking the piss right? 

The party that gave us Brexit. The party of racism. The party of corruption. The party of sexism. The party of bullying. But the PM thinks that WE need to change our ways to love our neighbours.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I didn’t see the speech but just reading about it on Sky News (it’s not on the bbc homepage which is surprising).

I can’t believe Rishi Sunak, who has appointed, defended and promoted several people with extreme and racist views said we should all be concerned about extremism… he’s taking the piss right? 

The party that gave us Brexit. The party of racism. The party of corruption. The party of sexism. The party of bullying. But the PM thinks that WE need to change our ways to love our neighbours.

It's just another play from the Tory divisive playbook. "Look at this minority, they're the cause of xyz problems...". The racists and morons will lap it up, and instead of people realising what they have in common they'll be dicks to the people the PM is pointing at.

3 hours ago, bickster said:

Not having seen this Sunak nonsense, I'm presuming this has something to do with Rochdale electing a terrorist propagandist and fundraiser?
Did he actually say the situation requires strong leadership? With a straight face? With no hint of irony?

Only a little bit to do with Galloway. Mostly he feels the country is a powderkeg and that protest has gone too far, that we need to fight radicalism on our streets and all stop protesting so we can all be nice to each other. And israel. Be nice to them.

7 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Only a little bit to do with Galloway. Mostly he feels the country is a powderkeg and that protest has gone too far, that we need to fight radicalism on our streets and all stop protesting so we can all be nice to each other. And israel. Be nice to them.

He could always call an election if he thinks the country is a powder keg. It’s mostly him that’s causing that tension.

• Like 2

There's probably a lesson here about democracy and the way our politics works.

In a recent survey, 7 out of 8 people in the UK would like us to call for an immediate ceasefire in Gaza (even if that call most likely achieves nothing) and many would like sanctions or other punitive actions placed on Israel to make that happen.

Our main parties don't court public opinion directly in the same way that they used to, they campaign directly to the donor class knowing that those people will use the media to sway public opinion in their favour (so long as they have policies that the donor class like) - that's more effective and more profitable to a political class with ambitions of working with donors in future.

On this issue, we've got a government with a policy that is so massively against the will of the electorate that it causes weird actions - like voting in a self serving grandstanding nutcase as the only outlet for a majority opinion, self harm as the last method of free expression. The gap between what money wants and what the people of the UK want is huge on this issue and it's going to cause difficulties until Israel decides it's time to stop.

Sunak doesn't want us to protest, either on the streets or at the ballot box - it's his sponsors that have pushed him out onto the street - money wants us to behave.

• Like 4

Just now, bickster said:

He could always call an election if he thinks the country is a powder keg. It’s mostly him that’s causing that tension.

That'd be nice. There are increasing calls for it now every time he pokes his head out of his shell - the little shitbag will cling on like the last relative on boxing day though won't he?

6 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

There's probably a lesson here about democracy and the way our politics works.

In a recent survey, 7 out of 8 people in the UK would like us to call for an immediate ceasefire in Gaza (even if that call most likely achieves nothing) and many would like sanctions or other punitive actions placed on Israel to make that happen.

Our main parties don't court public opinion directly in the same way that they used to, they campaign directly to the donor class knowing that those people will use the media to sway public opinion in their favour (so long as they have policies that the donor class like) - that's more effective and more profitable to a political class with ambitions of working with donors in future.

On this issue, we've got a government with a policy that is so massively against the will of the electorate that it causes weird actions - like voting in a self serving grandstanding nutcase as the only outlet for a majority opinion, self harm as the last method of free expression. The gap between what money wants and what the people of the UK want is huge on this issue and it's going to cause difficulties until Israel decides it's time to stop.

Sunak doesn't want us to protest, either on the streets or at the ballot box - it's his sponsors that have pushed him out onto the street - money wants us to behave.

I disagree with all of that apart from the point that the vast majority of people want a ceasefire in Gaza. That bit is obvious. 
But the rest, no.

The Tories are effectively 2 parties. A noisy, populist (but unpopular) right wing mess and a meek, subdued, larger (though you’d never know it) bunch of shell shocked career interest more moderate people with no ideas. They’re “managed” by someone with no skills or ability to lead. A timid, but bright, man completely out of his depth.

As a result the grabbers, grifters and gobshites are having a field day.

In opposition is a party that went down a rabbit hole, that was previously led by an utterly unsuitable knobhead and which now has a leader who is concentrating to the exclusion of everything else on not upsetting the horses, who knows that if he just behaves ultra cautiously, he and they will get to have a go at being in charge. He’s doing politics by numbers, literally. Using maths and probability to steer a course to what he hopes is victory.

Neither of those approaches is remotely appealing, it’s true.

If you’re an optimist then you might hope the cautious one turns out to actually be a lot more transformative than he appears, if you’re more pessimistic then you fear he’ll be no different to the current pm, another bright but indecisive, muddle through type.

The big problem for all of us is that we’re irrelevant. Irrelevant on the world stage, irrelevant as voters, irrelevant as a population in a game played out to see who gets to have a go at being government next.

But I don’t think the idea that x% of the population currently feel this or that ought to be a dictator of much at all in the short term.

• Like 4

Â