The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

13 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

Jenrick has resigned as immigration minister. Maybe the polices haven't gone far enough for that bastard.

It's very weird what's happened to Jenrick. He was supposedly put in as Immigration Minister to be the "sensible one" and keep Braverman on a tight leash so she didn't do anything too nutty. There was even talk at the time that he was the de facto Home Secretary and she just had the title.

But it seems like his time in the Home Office has completely radicalised him.

32 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

We now have a sitting duck Tory leader who is beleaguered from all sides and the possibility of a leadership challenge coming from a group whose main campaigning point seems to be that the Human Rights act is a little bit woke.

They really are astonishingly bad.

Sunak will be lucky to survive until even a May general election. Even as it stands its ignoring HRA/ECHR; meaning the "One Nation" Tories will rebel, because they are not that insane. Equally, the throbbers are arguing it doesn't go far enough somehow and as such will probably rebel. If he tries to appease 1 set, it will only reinforce the position of the other side and it seems that they each have at 100+ members each and won't get anywhere. Fingers crossed that the letters have gone in to force the challenge on him and undermine him further. 

It is also utterly bizarre given the legislation/policy is so terribly bad that, even if it managed to somehow beat every legal challenge, will actually have zero impact on what it intends to do. 

• Like 1

Out of curiosity, how many beds have we got on standby in Rwanda?

In my head, it was 200. But I don’t know where I got that from.

All this drama for a few hundred beds to take off the 160,000 in hotels and military camps around Britain. 

Out of all the hills to die on, to resign on a policy that 1) is not legally acceptable and 2) will never process the numbers to address the issue, seems an utterly bizarre piece of Tory right-wing naval gazing.

What the Tory party will look like in opposition is terrifying. It will be a fascist right-wing conspiracy group.

On 02/12/2023 at 10:53, foreveryoung said:

Sunak has no standing what so ever. He is a weak little man who would shit his pants if anything serious happened, like war broke out, so would 99% of the population with him in charge. No country is interested in the UK with him in charge. Problem is Starmer is the same, always looks like he's ready to cry when a bit of drama happens, we are f****ed!  Indeed, it's a very worrying time for the UK Government.

I had very low expectations of Sunak and in fairness he is more than meeting them. A skid mark in the toilet bowl of history.

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

Even as it stands its ignoring HRA/ECHR; meaning the "One Nation" Tories will rebel, because they are not that insane.

I feel that you are over-estimating the chances of Tory MPs voting with their conscience instead of their personal and party interest. 

Does he need party permission to call an election?  Hopefully if he see's the writing on the wall he calls an election before anyone else can get in and sow (to many) more seeds of destruction.  Harder to install nutty policies when you're trying to defend an election.

Edited by sidcow

19 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I had very low expectations of Sunak and in fairness he is more than meeting them. A skid mark in the toilet bowl of history.

In several ways he is appearing to be even worse than Boris Johnson, and that is not something that is easily done.

The madness around refugees has gone into hyperdrive since BoJo was ousted.

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

We now have a sitting duck Tory leader who is beleaguered from all sides and the possibility of a leadership challenge coming from a group whose main campaigning point seems to be that the Human Rights act is a little bit woke.

They really are astonishingly bad.

the ECHR was established when? 1953? The world was definitely NOT a 'woke' place back then.

They can't just retrospectively go back and label things from 70 years ago that they don't like as woke can they?

Can they?

Just now, sidcow said:

Does he need party permission to call an election?  Hopefully if he see's the writing on the wall he calls an election before anyone else can get in and sow more seeds of destruction.

I am still not convinced Sunak is the mentalist he appears to be with the governments policies. 

I thought he’d be stronger on being sensible given he is in the privileged position of not having to keep the job to pay the bills. He should be able to tell the crazy factions in the party to jog on.

He’s actually completely spineless and has forgotten how to think for himself.

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Does he need party permission to call an election? 

Technically Parliament needs to vote for it. But obviously given most if not all opposition parties would vote for it, and any Tory who didn't would probably lose the whip and be deselected, it would probably be a formality. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

I am still not convinced Sunak is the mentalist he appears to be with the governments policies. 

I thought he’d be stronger on being sensible given he is in the privileged position of not having to keep the job to pay the bills. He should be able to tell the crazy factions in the party to jog on.

As Bicks said previously, he has two wings of the party of a hundred or so MPs each who want completely different things. If he significantly upsets either side them they will probably bring him down. If he slightly upsets all of them, they probably just about leave him here.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

He is like the classic middle manager who has been over-promoted. Way out of his depth.

• Like 2

I think it's time we held a sweepstake on the number of Tory MPs at the next election

The upper limit will be 100

I was pissing about with the Electoral Calculus predictor and it's actually possible given a few percentage points either way that the LibDems might actually benefit at the next election from FPTP which is hilarious. If the Tories fall to 20% vote share and the Libdems rise to 14.5%, The LibDems could be the opposition

Its not outside the realms of possibility

38 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

As Bicks said previously, he has two wings of the party of a hundred or so MPs each who want completely different things. If he significantly upsets either side them they will probably bring him down. If he slightly upsets all of them, they probably just about leave him here.

He should take them down with him some how.

41 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Technically Parliament needs to vote for it. But obviously given most if not all opposition parties would vote for it, and any Tory who didn't would probably lose the whip and be deselected, it would probably be a formality. 

It would be hilarious if he did remove the whip from a significant number of MPs just as he calls an election :D 

40 minutes ago, Genie said:

The first time someone uttered leaving the ECHR in a meeting he should have thrown them out of the room, David Brent style.

Yet it's now become an acceptable position in the tory party.

I occasionally read some crazy people suggesting that the conservatives have been too "left" and they're going back to proper conservativism, some people really are rallying behind Braverman et al, and I have to pinch myself and remind myself that what they seem to be saying is that some of the relationships and institutions we forged under Churchill and Thatcher are now a bit too woke.

• Like 3

Â