The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

9 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

HS2 scrapped for ‘the north’.

What has HS2 actually achieved then? Or what will it achieve once ‘finished’? Just an improved line from Birmingham to London? At a cost of how much?

Again, so many questions need to be asked, complete and utter waste of money that could have been spent on any number of other services which would have yielded far more tangible benefits but probably allowed for much less skimming off the top.

The tangible benefits of HS2 were never really sold to the public in the right way, they were massive. It wasn't a waste of money but it is now they've scrapped it. It's pointless now

1 hour ago, bickster said:

The tangible benefits of HS2 were never really sold to the public in the right way, they were massive. It wasn't a waste of money but it is now they've scrapped it. It's pointless now

I'm wondering if it will be of some benefit anyway. If the extra capacity is used for Birmingham to London commutes, doesn't that still free up the west coast main line for the London-Manchester services?

Granted it's not what it was sold as, and most likely doesn't deliver exactly what people were expecting, but I expect it'll still help to some degree (albeit not 111ty bajillion dollars worth)

3 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Where's Truss making her speech, Sesame Street? Nobody gives a **** you ridiculous failure.

I got a job to collect some firearms from the VIP security bit at Gatwick the week before last, my colleague and I were speculating who it would be that would have a security team that needed 5 pistols, of course it turned out to be her, going off to Geneva (probably up to no good).  I'm sure she gets security paid by the taxpayer due to her being PM for a few weeks but at least she must have to pay for their flights if they're going on Easyjet.

23 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

I'm wondering if it will be of some benefit anyway. If the extra capacity is used for Birmingham to London commutes, doesn't that still free up the west coast main line for the London-Manchester services?

Nope, the whole point is to remove fast services from the WCML altogether, which in turn frees up capacity, enabling much more local traffic onto the rails. Fast services require huge intervals between trains, those huge intervals will still be required unless of course the Manchester trains divert to New Street and then you have to get yourself over to Curzon St to catch another train... And that's one huge degradation of service

• Like 1

The problem is that the public perception of HS2 is that it’s some luxury or nice to have bit of infrastructure. Not something for a country with record levels of debt and tax.

How many times have we read about “it’s not worth it just to get to London half an hour sooner”.

This is why it’s constantly under investigation. If it was a hospital going over budget then it wouldn’t have the same kind of interest because we accept that we need the hospital. The feeling amongst the general public (rightly or wrongly) is we don’t really need HS2 so let’s cut our losses. 

20 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Good good, bit more blue on blue action.

This is the real benefit of the mayoral system. Longer terms and not having to toe the party line like MPs, allows them to actually get something done in their area

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Nope, the whole point is to remove fast services from the WCML altogether, which in turn frees up capacity, enabling much more local traffic onto the rails. Fast services require huge intervals between trains, those huge intervals will still be required unless of course the Manchester trains divert to New Street and then you have to get yourself over to Curzon St to catch another train... And that's one huge degradation of service

Ok, makes sense thanks. And of course there's the other elephant in the room that if it doesn't go into central London then nobody will use it from Brum anyway.

• Like 1

Â