The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

17 hours ago, Jareth said:

Imagine if today heralds the downfall of the government and tory oblivion, and slippy's final game in charge. Nom nom nom 

Don't often do this - but big me the **** up If only I put money on it

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

So, Boris Johnson round two then?

Well its looking like a Boris vs Sunak deathmatch which will do absolutely nothing to help the Tory Party. Infact if you could pick two ideal candidates to increase the polarisation and rancour internally then they look like they are about to do just that.

Then throw into the mix that they are actually the two candidates the rest of the country want least and things couldn't get any better (in terms of the the death of the Tory Party not the country)

9 minutes ago, bickster said:

Well its looking like a Boris vs Sunak deathmatch which will do absolutely nothing to help the Tory Party. Infact if you could pick two ideal candidates to increase the polarisation and rancour internally then they look like they are about to do just that.

Then throw into the mix that they are actually the two candidates the rest of the country want least and things couldn't get any better (in terms of the the death of the Tory Party not the country)

I don’t think Sunak will work out as the least popular candidate. Others may appear more popular at the moment but I imagine that’ll evaporate in most cases when the public get to see more of them. Sunak’s popularity is likely to be near its floor already.

If you want the death of the Tory party at the next election you want someone like Braverman or Badenoch rather than Sunak I think.

• Like 2

What the **** is this Boris Johnson obsession? There are so many insane people. 

Many saying he's the only one with a mandate from the nation. 

He had a mandate on a single issue. To "get Brexit done", well he's been on record, in fact like a stuck record saying that he got Brexit done. 

So many of our current issues are his problems coming home to roost.  Truss has obviously acclerated it beyond belief but we'd still be in a completely **** position if he'd have just stayed on and he would not sort anything, just give out more bullshit and bluster. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, bickster said:

If Johnson gets the backing of 100 MPs by Monday the members will place him back in No10 by Friday. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, sidcow said:

What the **** is this Boris Johnson obsession? There are so many insane people. 

Many saying he's the only one with a mandate from the nation. 

He had a mandate on a single issue. To "get Brexit done", well he's been on record, in fact like a stuck record saying that he got Brexit done. 

This just isn't correct.

The Conservative party currently has a mandate given by the election victory of 2019 to enact the manifesto on which it stood. The single issue that you mention formed part of that, along with a swathe of other policy proposals. "He" has no mandate more constitutionally sound than any other elected member of his party who can command a majority of MPs in the House Of Commons. 

And until a majority of MPs in the HoC no longer support that platform, then they are within their rights to try and carry out their policy under him, or whichever other leader they fancy. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

This just isn't correct.

The Conservative party currently has a mandate given by the election victory of 2019 to enact the manifesto on which it stood. The single issue that you mention formed part of that, along with a swathe of other policy proposals. "He" has no mandate more constitutionally sound than any other elected member of his party who can command a majority of MPs in the House Of Commons. 

And until a majority of MPs in the HoC no longer support that platform, then they are within their rights to try and carry out their policy under him, or whichever other leader they fancy. 

You can believe the vast majority of people agreed with the rest of his policies if you like, but i bet 80% of their voters don't even know what they were.  They voted him in on Brexit and nothing more.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

You can believe the vast majority of people agreed with the rest of his policies if you like, but i bet 80% of their voters don't even know what they were.  They voted him in on Brexit and nothing more.

I don't choose to believe that, because it obviously isn't true.

But what "80% of their voters" happen to believe and "what is constitutionally accurate" are not the same thing. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

I don't choose to believe that, because it obviously isn't true.

But what "80% of their voters" happen to believe and "what is constitutionally accurate" are not the same thing. 

I wasn't suggesting it was technically not true.  I understand that.  It's the people banging on that Boris should return because HE's the only person with a mandate.

They're relying on this to suggest he should return.

But I stand by that the REASON the public gave the Tories a mandate was on a single issue.  Even without the truss regime I don't think they would have stood a chance at the next election as their one binding feature with the many disgruntled Labour voters has gone.

The opinion polls very strongly suggest that mandate is now gone, regardless of the technical situation.

Â