The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

23 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Hmmm ... Maybe. Not sure I totally buy that line. It's a mess whatever though.

Well, I think we can be 100% confident that the reason is not "in the 2024 election, Liz Truss wants to be able to knock doors in South West Norfolk and tell her constituents that she didn't support the fracking legislation introduced by the Liz Truss Government"

Summary from beeb

-----------------
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-politics-63309400

What on earth has been going on in Westminster today?

If you're just joining us, Westminster has seen one of its most dramatic days in recent years.

The day kicked off with Liz Truss facing Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer at PMQs. Our political editor Chris Mason thought it "probably went as well" as she could have hoped. But the chaos of the day was just beginning...

News broke that one of Truss' top advisers, Jason Stein, had been suspended amid reports that he was responsible for negative briefings against former Chancellor Sajid Javid.

Meanwhile, Tory MPs were told a vote on fracking due to be held within hours would be a confidence vote in the government, meaning they could be suspended from the parliamentary party if they voted for it. Three Tory MPs quickly announced their intention to oppose the government.

But attention was quickly diverted back to Downing Street as Home Secretary Suella Braverman resigned, saying she had breached the ministerial code. She used her resignation letter to attack the government's "broken promises".

Braverman was soon replaced by former transport secretary and Rishi Sunak ally Grant Shapps.

By now chaos had broken out in Parliament, after ministers appeared to row back on making the fracking motion a vote of confidence in the PM. According to MPs who witnessed the scenes, Conservative MPs were bullied and manhandled into backing Liz Truss. Ministers denied claims physical force had been used.

At the same time, reports emerged that both the government's Chief Whip, Wendy Morton, and the Deputy Chief Whip Craig Whittaker, were no longer in post. As of now, their positions remain unclear but we're trying to get clarity on this.
-------------------

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Haha 1

Just now, Davkaus said:

I'd give anything to see jrm volleyed in the jaw. Imagine being bullied by the haunted Victorian pencil

“yes I got the shit beaten out of me, but you’ve got it remember, it was for the right reasons”

-----------
Truss might come out of this stronger - Sir Roger Gale

A veteran Conservative MP has backed Prime Minister Liz Truss, saying she may emerge from today's events as a stronger leader.

Sir Roger Gale told PA News that the chaos caused by confusion over this evening fracking bill had been a "storm in a teacup" and praised the appointment of Grant Shapps as home secretary.

"On balance, at the end of today I would say, in a peculiar way - and it is peculiar - Truss might come out of it stronger. I may be completely wrong and out of touch," Sir Roger said.

He also said he was in favour of her staying in post, adding that while MPs "aren't overjoyed" with recent events, they aren't ready to move against her.

"Given the economic situation, the fact that we've got Jeremy Hunt as the chief executive effectively in control at No 11 now doing things well, and Liz Truss as an, OK, damaged chairman of the board, for the moment we're better off sticking with Liz Truss and letting Jeremy get on and do his job."
----------
Sir Roger has been on the drink early tonight. 

• Like 1

PMQ's was an embarrassment. Truss's line for every question was "but what has Kier Starmer done about this".

Nothing, dear. Because, you see, he's not in **** government, you simple minded fool.

Â