The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

5 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I am trying to assess the actions of P&O concerning their sacking of 800 workers from their ferries.

In short, I want to know whether this was allowed under the employment laws enacted by New Labour or the Tories.

Gotcha, you want to set up another gotcha post, good plan

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bickster said:

Gotcha, you want to set up another gotcha post, good plan

Thanks, I couldn't have got a clearer answer!

I have reasons for hating the Tories and I have reasons for hating New Labour, and I just wanted to know which one to file this one under.

7 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I have reasons for hating the Tories and I have reasons for hating New Labour, and I just wanted to know which one to file this one under.

Neither. They (P&O) appear to have broken employment law.

They are required by law to both notify the Insolvency Service and start at least a 45 day consultation with Unions and staff. At our place it's called an HR1 and I think that's the official name for the notice they have to give and process to be followed. It doesn't appear that they have done that.

I think I posted this in another thread, or maybe this one, yesterday.

Oh, and the current law (link to Gov't website containing the law) is a Tory one, from 1992 (though laws tend to evolve and be iterated by Governments over time). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, blandy said:

Neither. They (P&O) appear to have broken employment law.

They are required by law to both notify the Insolvency Service and start at least a 45 day consultation with Unions and staff. At our place it's called an HR1 and I think that's the official name for the notice they have to give and process to be followed. It doesn't appear that they have done that.

I think I posted this in another thread, or maybe this one, yesterday.

Oh, and the current law (link to Gov't website containing the law) is a Tory one, from 1992 (though laws tend to evolve and be iterated by Governments over time). 

Thanks for that clarification.

Anyone who has been on a cruise will know that a good proportion of the staff are paid third-world wages.

I didn't need another reason to hate P&0 but it is always nice to have a spare.

Thanks for the link, my own Googling wasn't very fruitful.

4 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Anyone who has been on a cruise will know that a good proportion of the staff are paid third-world wages.

P&O Cruises are not the same company as P&O Ferries (Ferries is Dubai owned, Cruises is UK / US)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I am trying to assess the actions of P&O concerning their sacking of 800 workers from their ferries.

In short, I want to know whether this was allowed under the employment laws enacted by New Labour or the Tories.

Didn't the current government block changes to the law that would have stopped this happening last year? Something the opposition pushed for.

Google would have told you that, but you somehow managed to frame the question in a way to try and divert some of the blame. To a man who has no political position in this country that allows him to be held accountable to change it.

The people that can do something right now are the party in power for the last 12 years. They are the ones that need to be held to account to make changes, although they'd much prefer people play blame Tony and ignore the fact they could do something.

Edited by Sam-AVFC
  • Like 3

If anyone reading this has become fired up about the unfairness and inhumanity of our immigration system over the last few weeks (or even the last few years) may I recommend this (short) Zoe Gardner thread about the contents of the government's Nationality & Borders Bill, where she clearly states what the stakes are when the bill returns to the Commons from the Lords tomorrow:

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

When oh when can we be rid of this utter embarrassment from our government...

I don’t know what annoys me more, how utterly pathetic he is, or how many people back him despite everything he’s said and done.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Genie said:

I don’t know what annoys me more, how utterly pathetic he is, or how many people back him despite everything he’s said and done.

He’s doing the best he can. Labour would do worse. They would tank the economy. Boris got COVID and ran the country. He’s done nothing wrong. Labour are the problem and he is clearing up their mess.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Â