Relegation Thread Version...99?!

jackbauer24

There is still 6 teams in the relegation fight, if you ignore Chelsea on the basis that they will surely put a run of form together at some point.

While you may argue that there is no chance that we will get out of it, and furthermore no chance we will catch Norwich who are still 12 points ahead of us - Newcastle are only 5 points behind them, so they won't feel safe at all.

Our target has to be to catch Sunderland and then to catch Newcastle.

Edited by GeordieVillan

There are still quite a lot of games to go. Its very unlikely we will stay up but at least the players are try to play a certain way which makes me want to believe Garde' influence is finally having an impact.  With players like Veretout, Gana and Ayew getting better by the game, Kozak back, games coming up with teams who don't have anything to play for and the small chance of Garde bringing a few players in.

Can we dare believe..???

Just need to worry about ourselves...

17 games to go and 8 points behind....sure that's been turned over plenty of time before.

The most concerning thing for me is that I do think 40 maybe needed this time...I don't think there is going to be team staying up on some muggy 34 points this time.

Edited by supernova26
  • Like 2

Just now, useless said:

I said we were due a win and of course we had to win at some point. Next up we're due to thrash someone, or at least get a convincing scoreline. We can stay up, no contest.

Mathematically it is extremely unlikely. Also it's unlikely we will be 8 points behind this time tomorrow. Let's not get carried away here. Anything can happen in football but the bookies have us at 1.05 to go down and a lot of people in analytics have a say in this price - we are that price for more than one reason.

That said, I am very impressed with how the Holte End has dealt with this season - far better than in recent seasons - and as a result I do genuinely think we can win some more games at home. The support has overall been really good given the dire position we are in as a football club (obviously Wycombe it all came apart, but maybe that was the wake-up call these players needed).

If we avoid defeat at the weekend, or - better still - win, it will be one more step to putting us in contention. I wouldn't get too carried away by tonight though. This is the first hurdle we have successfully got over in a god knows how long.

The Baggies is the key one - lose that and we are down regardless of how we do against Leicester, purely from a "wind-in-sails" perspective. Four points from the next two games and we can realistically stay up. Failure to achieve that and we are down.

4 minutes ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

Mathematically it is extremely unlikely. Also it's unlikely we will be 8 points behind this time tomorrow. Let's not get carried away here. Anything can happen in football but the bookies have us at 1.05 to go down.

We are now 1.13 on the exchanges after that victory. Still heavy odds on but a 1 in 9 chance is better than a 1 in 20.

1 minute ago, supernova26 said:

We are now 1.13 on the exchanges after that victory. Still heavy odds on but a 1 in 9 chance is better than a 1 in 20.

Fair point - better barometer it has to be said. Wouldn't surprise me if half of the money laying us to go down are just nervous Baggies fans.

5 minutes ago, useless said:

Sunderland survived the other season 7 points behind with only six games to go, and some of those games were away to top four sides. We've time on our side and a few teams will probably go on bad runs in the second half of the season. I still think we can catch the likes of Norwich and Bournemouth.

Yep and that Sunderland team were pretty pathetic and needed Conner Wickham of all people to bail them out.  Anything is possible. 

it was not just the win today that give me slight hope it was the manner.  The way they missed in the first minute, the lucky goal and the effort of the team.  Maybe our luck could turn?

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

Mathematically it is extremely unlikely. Also it's unlikely we will be 8 points behind this time tomorrow. Let's not get carried away here. Anything can happen in football but the bookies have us at 1.05 to go down and a lot of people in analytics have a say in this price - we are that price for more than one reason.

That said, I am very impressed with how the Holte End has dealt with this season - far better than in recent seasons - and as a result I do genuinely think we can win some more games at home. The support has overall been really good given the dire position we are in as a football club (obviously Wycombe it all came apart, but maybe that was the wake-up call these players needed).

If we avoid defeat at the weekend, or - better still - win, it will be one more step to putting us in contention. I wouldn't get too carried away by tonight though. This is the first hurdle we have successfully got over in a god knows how long.

The Baggies is the key one - lose that and we are down regardless of how we do against Leicester, purely from a "wind-in-sails" perspective. Four points from the next two games and we can realistically stay up. Failure to achieve that and we are down.

This is very true., but I would go even further than what you are saying. We need to go unbeaten for the next 4 games and have at least 2 wins in that run to give the team belief. If we lose any of the next 4 I think the confidence will be very fragile again.

Also, from a points perspective, we really need to be in touching distance (i.e. one result ideally, but maybe 4 points say) of safety by then, as our fixtures after the next 4 games start to look really tough. We really need to be on at least 18 points before we face Liverpool on 14th Feb.

Still a very very big ask.

Edited by GeordieVillan

Two milestones were passed today, two very important milestones. The first win is huge, I think it's 2 games too late but it's a win all the same. I don't think it can be overstated what a nasty little monkey off our back that will be.

Also, we're into double figures. It no longer *looks* impossible. We're only a point behind where Sunderland were before they played us, just one round ago, they are now only 4 point of safety with a chance to go within a point tomorrow night. It goes to show what a massive, massive difference 3 points can make. A few more of those over the coming weeks and who knows. We could look back on tonight as one of "those" moments.

Bring on the Leicester, I'll take a point there if needs be and then bring on the baggies. Come on you Lions!

• Like 2

We're not capable of getting out of this unless Lerner spends big. That won't happen. Continue to put 100% effort in and we can at least go down with some fight whilst picking up a few wins.

Edited by Arj Guy

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think the mid-table teams will be our best bet for 3 points.  Teams like Palace who aren't really good enough to get in to Europe but are now safe from relegation will lack that bit of motivation and fight in games.  We are more than likely relegated but there is a small glimmer of hope after todays results and performance. 

If we can still be in touch by March we have a reasonable run in....two huge 6 points at home to Bournemouth and Newcastle and also games v Southampton and Watford who will probably be on the beach like Palace.

I agree with DDID...think we've left it too late. We really need this result v West Ham and then get something from Norwich and Sunderland. Leicester could easily beat us 2/3-0 and then Pulis grinds out a 1-0 v us again and we're back to square one, miles adrift with even less games.

Whenever the so called pundits talk about a relegation fight they always say the same thing, 'who's going to get them goals?

Every team in the league has a better front line than us IMO, we simply never look like scoring. If that changes over the next 2 and bit weeks I'll maybe regain a bit if hope, as it stands we simply won't score enough goals to claw ourselves back. The decision not to bring a decent out and out striker to the club in the summer has cost us dear. 

1 hour ago, GeordieVillan said:

There is still 6 teams in the relegation fight, if you ignore Chelsea on the basis that they will surely put a run of form together at some point.

While you may argue that there is no chance that we will get out of it, and furthermore no chance we will catch Norwich who are still 12 points ahead of us - Newcastle are only 5 points behind them, so they won't feel safe at all.

Our target has to be to catch Sunderland and then to catch Newcastle.

The bottom 3 will be out of us (definite), Sunderland (probables), Newcastle (are they ever going to sign any decent defenders????) and Bournemouth.

Bournemouth had a great run but they're dipping again, don't really win many home games and has anyone seen their last 10 games in the run in? Got Man. United, Everton, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Man. City, certainly the hardest run in of them all.

I think the only chance is if the survival rare is really low like 33 or 34 points. To get there is 6 wins and 4/5 draws, that's not out of the question if we play like we did tonight. I think something like 38 points is though, simply too many games we need to win or draw.

Whenever the so called pundits talk about a relegation fight they always say the same thing, 'who's going to get them goals?

Every team in the league has a better front line than us IMO, we simply never look like scoring. If that changes over the next 2 and bit weeks I'll maybe regain a bit if hope, as it stands we simply won't score enough goals to claw ourselves back. The decision not to bring a decent out and out striker to the club in the summer has cost us dear. 

It has. But despite my thinking it's too late, they have a chance to correct that now.

Get something on Saturday and Lerner might gamble. I think we are going to find it impossible to bring in an established player, but scrape together £10m for a "maybe" player and who knows.

Had we picked up 4 points from Norwich and Sunderland, I would have dived head first onto the 'we can do it' train, Sadly I think it's just to late. 

20 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

It has. But despite my thinking it's too late, they have a chance to correct that now.

Get something on Saturday and Lerner might gamble. I think we are going to find it impossible to bring in an established player, but scrape together £10m for a "maybe" player and who knows.

I hope so. I said in an earlier post that I think a decent striker changes the whole mentality of the players, and fans. As soon as we concede now it's like we all expect defeat because we never look like scoring, and that puts so much pressure on the defence. 

I agree we won't be able to sign an established striker, but maybe a loan, and a gamble from the Championship. let's just take some of the names mentioned in this thread, Afobe  £10m (I know he's moved now) and Remy loan. Not a ridiculous investment and we have a decent front line. 

Its not impossible, but as you say, Lerner needs to act. 

Edited by av1

Â