Pre-Match thread

roonst83

I'll be disappointed if Kozak starts.

Should be Gestede or Ayew if he's not fit enough. 

Why? Out of interest.

By all accounts Kozak has been the best performing striker in pre-season. Ayew has severely lacked match fitness and Gestede has never played at this level.

Long term I'm not expecting Kozak to be first choice. But for this game he seems the obvious choice for me.

• Like 1

It reminds me of Portsmouth's first ever game in the premier league. Hope we don't see a similar result.

I think we lost 2-1, Barry scored a pen and also got sent off? Berger scored for them?

• Like 1

It reminds me of Portsmouth's first ever game in the premier league. Hope we don't see a similar result.

I think we lost 2-1, Barry scored a pen and also got sent off? Berger scored for them?

Totally agree. We had a new yellow kit too which doesn't help the comparisons! I've been trying to forget that to get on with some misplaced optimism. 3-1 Villa. Sinclair, Kozak and Gueye.

• Like 1

Totally agree. We had a new yellow kit too which doesn't help the comparisons! I've been trying to forget that to get on with some misplaced optimism. 3-1 Villa. Sinclair, Kozak and Gueye.

We did have a new yellow kit, didn't we! *gulp*

I'll go for a 2-1 win though, just because I promised to be optimistic this year :)

I've spoken to a lot of Bournemouth fans and seen them a few times last year (I live there). They are very good going forward but weak at the back.

Bearing in mind our defensive frailties you would say this is a game which certainly has goals in it. Probably at both ends. I think it will be a frenetic 100 mile an hour start. Both sides will be seriously pumped up but it will be interesting to see how our French contingent deal with the pace of the game.

Obviously Villa are to a large extent the great unknown here. It will come down to who makes the most mistakes and which midfield can control the game for the longest.

I have no idea which way but I think the score will be 3-2 possibly even 4-2.

top scorers in the championship last season and conceded the second fewest goals. 

Why? Out of interest.

By all accounts Kozak has been the best performing striker in pre-season. Ayew has severely lacked match fitness and Gestede has never played at this level.

Long term I'm not expecting Kozak to be first choice. But for this game he seems the obvious choice for me.

I've watched most games and wolves was the only game IMO where he looked decent. Against forest he was abysmal. Gestede or Ayew might not be able to last the game but I'd rather both started over Kozak. Much better chance of winning IMO.

Why? Out of interest.

I've watched most games and wolves was the only game IMO where he looked decent. Against forest he was abysmal. Gestede or Ayew might not be able to last the game but I'd rather both started over Kozak. Much better chance of winning IMO.

I think you're going to be disappointed.

I'd be surprised if Kozak doesn't start.

Kozak started with the 2nd team in the friendlies, played well, scored goals, and Sherwood moved him up to the first team. Then Kozak scored goals with the first team, so I assume Sherwood rates him. At worst Sherwood realizes that Kozak is on good form, so Sherwood will likely go with the hot hand for the opener. I really do believe we will see Kozak, Sinclair, Westwood, Gueye, Amavi, Clark, Richards, Hutton, and Bunn in the opener. The other 2 spots are still up for grabs. 

Based on...?

Him playing him as soon as he can and him scoring goals?

Choosing to play 1 main striker signing 2 forwards and trying to buy another.

Kozak started with the 2nd team in the friendlies, played well, scored goals, and Sherwood moved him up to the first team. Then Kozak scored goals with the first team, so I assume Sherwood rates him. At worst Sherwood realizes that Kozak is on good form, so Sherwood will likely go with the hot hand for the opener. I really do believe we will see Kozak, Sinclair, Westwood, Gueye, Amavi, Clark, Richards, Hutton, and Bunn in the opener. The other 2 spots are still up for grabs.

Kozak was absolutely abysmal in our last game. That's hardly good form.

Isn't Kozak the only striker to score in preseason though? I also did not hear that he played poorly last match, but I do know that he has been doing well in his other matches.

If it's between Ayew, Kozak, Gestede, and Agbonlahor, I'm going with Kozak for the time being. 

To be fair he's had no real competition in pre season. So scoring more than gabby doesn't show a real lot. He was good against wolves but was so bad against forest and no surprise we looked better with a change at HT.

I think Gestede and Ayew would offer more. Ideally I'd like to see both start with Sinclair as a front 3.

Yes but how much we should we take notice of preseason games against Walsall, wolves and Forest. I would worry about a lack of pace up front if Kozak starts. Sherwood has talked up Gestede so really he should be the man to lead the attack. None of us knows to be fair. 

I really don't think he will pick Guzan, that isn't inside info just a hunch.

I'm going for 3-0 Villa and VT hysteria.... or 3-0 Bournemouth and VT hysteria ;)

Is that just because he's been away with US (is he even back in training) or he still dosen't rate him?

Would be a worry for me as really don't think Steer or Bunn are good enough to be playing week in week out in the premier league.

Yes but how much we should we take notice of preseason games against Walsall, wolves and Forest. I would worry about a lack of pace up front if Kozak starts. Sherwood has talked up Gestede so really he should be the man to lead the attack. None of us knows to be fair. 

Pace isn't an issue, most likely Ayew and Sinclair will play either side of him. Gabby as a back up option aswell.