Money - Making it and saving it

PongRiddims

1 minute ago, Genie said:

I was wondering the other day if you can get insurance for this sort of thing? Have £2m in the bank, bank goes bump, you only £80k or whatever it is back… insurance?

see above

On 14/04/2023 at 19:31, MakemineVanilla said:

Question:

How do rich people or businesses with large cash deposits, protect themselves from the risk of loss, in the event of a run on the banks?

Big Banks won't go bust. The Government won't allow it, as has been proved before. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

I was wondering the other day if you can get insurance for this sort of thing? Have £2m in the bank, bank goes bump, you only £80k or whatever it is back… insurance?

What if the insurers go bust because all their money was in the bank that went bust ;) 

• Like 1

The nationwide account is up to £200 deposits per month for 12 months, so the most you can make from it is about £104 over the year.

Better than a kick in the teeth, especially if you're eligible and combine it with their switch offer for an extra £200 https://www.nationwide.co.uk/current-accounts/switch/

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Any strings attached?

Its one of those monthly ones where you pay £200 in a month for 12 months only. 

Its not as though you can hoy £100k in on day one and get 8%

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

The nationwide account is up to £200 deposits per month for 12 months, so the most you can make from it is about £104 over the year.

Better than a kick in the teeth, especially if you're eligible and combine it with their switch offer for an extra £200 https://www.nationwide.co.uk/current-accounts/switch/

Yeah, I was disappointed when I looked into it more. I have a couple of savings pots for my children I was thinking about moving but the £200 thing killed that idea.

I’m getting 4.1% a month at Chase with no strings attached so i’ll leave it there for now.

13 hours ago, Xela said:

Big Banks won't go bust. The Government won't allow it, as has been proved before. 

Banks (in the UK at least) are also better protected to withstand economic uncertainty nowadays compared to 15 years ago. Higher retained capital requirements, ring fencing etc.

Even challenger Banks have been able to withstand financial difficulties (e.g. Metro) and come out the other side.

Only way the big banks get in trouble is if a.major paradigm shift occurs and banking fundamentally changes (Amazon Bank etc).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

I keep getting to a position where I think I can invest and then something comes up :( 

the positive way to look at this is that you had got yourself into a position where you were protected if things came up. Thats a good thing and something very many people in the UK fail to achieve.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

the positive way to look at this is that you had got yourself into a position where you were protected if things came up. Thats a good thing and something very many people in the UK fail to achieve.

Yeah that's true.

For example, over here the all in one (6 in 1) baby vaccines are not covered by the government. 

It's 40 quid a pop, at 3 doses. For me, I can cover 120 quid without thinking, but I take it for granted that people don't have such income and they will either have to go without or subject their child to 6 vaccines x 3.

• 5 months later...

Anyone banked with Starling? If so, would you recommend?

They offer a free kid's banking account and app. Tempted to get something like that for my son.

17 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Anyone banked with Starling? If so, would you recommend?

They offer a free kid's banking account and app. Tempted to get something like that for my son.

Yes, we do. Really recommend it - easy to set up an account, and the chat feature works well if you do need to speak to someone 

• Thanks 1

I echo what @GeorgeVilla82says. Great for travelling too - no need to bugger about moving cash around, just use starling and get the best rates and no commission.

Additionally I had my debit card cloned and used. I got in touch with Starling immediately. They cancelled the card and refunded the cash immediately. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Genie said:

Starling sounds a lot like Chase, another option to consider. Great to use when travelling without incurring any fees.

Its the free kid's account/app that I'm most interested in. Teach him the basics of saving, banking, send him pocket money, etc

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Its the free kid's account/app that I'm most interested in. Teach him the basics of saving, banking, send him pocket money, etc

Cool, I might look into that myself 👍

Â