Money - Making it and saving it

PongRiddims

Crypto? Put half on your money on red (or black) and the other half on the grey horse in the 3:30pm at Haydock. 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Has anyone paid CGT here... and has anyone paid when they don't know what the exact profit is?

Looking to de-risk my portfolio and offload some equities in one company. In summary - 10,000 shares at £7.00 being sold. They've cost between £3 and £5 over the years in various batches (probably about 15,000 purchased in total). Some have been sold in the past but have been below CGT criteria so not had to worry. I think i'd be hard pressed to be exact about my precise profit and what was owed. How do you declare it?

I quite like the value investing aspect of stocks,  but I am not quite savy enough in the fundamental aspect, so my tactic is mostly to buy solid companies with big moats during turmoil, recession and weird occurences like the volkswagen story, og danske bank, or oil crisis in 2014. Just buying and holding pleases me haha. 

On 11/02/2019 at 23:03, Xela said:

Has anyone paid CGT here... and has anyone paid when they don't know what the exact profit is?

Looking to de-risk my portfolio and offload some equities in one company. In summary - 10,000 shares at £7.00 being sold. They've cost between £3 and £5 over the years in various batches (probably about 15,000 purchased in total). Some have been sold in the past but have been below CGT criteria so not had to worry. I think i'd be hard pressed to be exact about my precise profit and what was owed. How do you declare it?

I think that working off estimates is fine so long as you appear to have some logic behind it and have had a good stab at cost price averaging your holding. If memory serves me right I think there may be a box that you tick on the return form to show it isn't 100% accurate. 

• Like 1

On 11/02/2019 at 21:17, KenjiOgiwara said:

I quite like the value investing aspect of stocks,  but I am not quite savy enough in the fundamental aspect, so my tactic is mostly to buy solid companies with big moats during turmoil, recession and weird occurences like the volkswagen story, og danske bank, or oil crisis in 2014. Just buying and holding pleases me haha. 

Companies that pay strong dividends are always worth a punt. You might not get much growth on the share price but if you can get 5% dividends then its not all bad. 

19 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Anyone dabble with vanguard?

Not personally, but they seem very popular if you want to passively invest in a broad range of things. 

Do tend to have a wider exposure to the UK as opposed to say something like the HSBC Global Strategy multi asset funds. 

• Like 1

The two are mutually exclusive for me.

I could probably learn something from my Grandparents. They ran a cleaning business for the most part.

They came to Australia as immigrants with nothing and no connections, now sitting on a property worth 2 million and sold another for over a million back in 2009.

• 3 years later...

If anyone is looking for a good savings rate and cashback on purchases check out this post on hotukdeals.

Chases Savings and Current Accounts

1.5%AER on savings and 1% cashback on purchases. Most common questions are answered in the discussion like confirmation money is protected by FCSS upto £85,000.

I just opened an account in about 5 minutes, very slick and easy. 

1 hour ago, Genie said:

If anyone is looking for a good savings rate and cashback on purchases check out this post on hotukdeals.

1.5%AER on savings and 1% cashback on purchases. Most common questions are answered in the discussion like confirmation money is protected by FCSS upto £85,000.

I immediately added the card details to Apple Pay and used it with my phone this morning.

waiting for the 1% on my £6.40 spend now 

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Limit your expenditure on motoring.

Avoid these pay monthly lease deals. A car will easily last 10 years.

Sure flashy cars are nice - but the money spent doesn't equal the pleasure returned.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Also, couple of other interesting points.

1) You can use it abroad without any fees

2) You can opt in to them rounding your purchases up to the nearest pound, and they then pay 5% AER interest on it.

14 minutes ago, Genie said:

2) You can opt in to them rounding your purchases up to the nearest pound, and they then pay 5% AER interest on it.

Although if you do try and use it to pay off your credit card in 1p installments, to get 99p per time earning that interest, they do call you and ask you to stop doing it or they'll close your account :D 

• Haha 1

Just now, Davkaus said:

Although if you do try and use it to pay off your credit card in 1p installments, to get 99p per time earning that interest, they do call you and ask you to stop doing it or they'll close your account :D 

Haha, that’s a great idea. It’s a shame they’re on to it.

On 11/02/2019 at 21:03, Xela said:

There's a gov.uk website that lets you work it out - I think I found it by just yahoogling "how much tax on shares" or something, a while back. you need to know the basics - what you paid for them etc. you can put invarious hypothetical dates and costs etc and it'll work it all out for you.

got a chase account myself. yes the 1% cashback doesn't sound a lot, but wait till you book a holiday or something. it quickly adds up and has earnt me loads

the roundup also doesn't sound like it will add up quickly but i've got nearly £150 in my roundup account now just from a few months use.

and the 1.5% savings rate is brilliant - even if it is to get people in the door before they reduce it in a year or something

couple of points to note: the card is numberless on the front and does have an underlying number, HOWEVER - that number is different to your online card number. this becomes an issue if you buy foreign currency to go abroad online for pick up at tesco or something. they need verify the last 4 digits with the number you purchased the currency with but they can't because the numbers don't match. was a right palaver when i tried it...so worth bearing that in mind

the cashback offer is only for your first year

and as they're new, not all banks have them set up to verify payment details if you need someone to transfer money to you. to the point that some mates have not been able to transfer money to me as their bank wont let them

i use mine for day to day spending and i've moved all my savings over to it, but i'd advise you to keep a secondary account at one of the high street banks too.

• Like 1

Â