Money - Making it and saving it

PongRiddims

24 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Is this Chase referral offer still a thing?  I need to open a random bank account to try this switching malarky to the big offers, so might as well start with Chase as my starter account if they still offer £20 for opening it.

They definitely ended it a few months back, I don’t think they re-started it.

Even without the referral it’s a great account. 

44 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Is this Chase referral offer still a thing?  I need to open a random bank account to try this switching malarky to the big offers, so might as well start with Chase as my starter account if they still offer £20 for opening it.

no i dont think so - wasn't around long. honestly the number of people i sent it to hoping to get £20 each time and not one bugger did it. they thought it was a scam or something!

• 3 weeks later...

Lloyds have launched a 5.25% monthly saver account, up to £400 a month.

Club Lloyds Monthly Saver

It's only available to Club Lloyds current account holders who have not already opened one of these accounts in the last 12 months.

You need to be aged 18 or over and a UK resident.

Ideal if you want to save money every month and have instant access to it.

The benefits

Earn 5.25% gross/AER fixed interest. This is paid after 12 months.

The interest rate is fixed so it won’t change during the term.

You can withdraw your money when you like without charge.

How it works

Save £25 - £400 every month by one standing order. This needs to reach your account before the 25th of the month. You can top up your savings by bank transfer as long as you don’t exceed the £400 monthly limit.

You can only have one Club Lloyds Monthly Saver in your sole name or held jointly.

After 12 months you'll get your interest and the account will change to a Standard Saver. You can then open a new Club Lloyds Monthly Saver and save for another 12 months.

Link to hotukdeals where I saw it.

Apparently there is also a 4.5% account for up to £250 a month and you can have both at the same time.

• Like 1

Started the bank switch journey as recommended by Martin Lewis and a couple of people on VT.

Opened Monzo. Recommended wife to open Monzo. £10 received (£5 each).

Set up 2 charity direct debits. 

Started switch from Monzo to RBS for £175.

Started switch from wife's Monzo to Nationwide for £200.

Hope it all goes well.

• Like 1

I've earned well over a grand doing that over the years. You're then locked out of doing it back to those banks for several years, but it's well worth doing

One thing to be aware of is banks that are in the same corporate group will only honour a switching bonus once across their whole group, e.g., HSBC and first direct, so make sure you get the best offer out of them you can

20 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Started the bank switch journey as recommended by Martin Lewis and a couple of people on VT.

Opened Monzo. Recommended wife to open Monzo. £10 received (£5 each).

Set up 2 charity direct debits. 

Started switch from Monzo to RBS for £175.

Started switch from wife's Monzo to Nationwide for £200.

Hope it all goes well.

Doesn't it impact your credit standing? Banks will do a hard search on account opening usually, and multiple searches will/could negatively impact your ability to gain credit going forward in the short to medium term. 

52 minutes ago, Xela said:

Doesn't it impact your credit standing? Banks will do a hard search on account opening usually, and multiple searches will/could negatively impact your ability to gain credit going forward in the short to medium term. 

There's no single right answer to this, but the conventional wisdom is perhaps be cautious if you're planning a big application like a new mortgage over the next year.

Realistically though, people know what's going on when you open a few current accounts, just don't take out overdrafts with them, and the impact is minimal. The best thing to do is so it starting with a new account as @ender4has, because the biggest impact would be losing your established current account dragging down your accounts' average age, rather than the searches.

• 1 month later...

A very strange one I was made aware of today and signed up to to TikTok for, download TickTok and sign up through the below link and you earn 17£ worth of Amazon vouchers in 7 days.

anyone that uses your referral gets £17 immediately so if anyone does sign up add your link below so some one else can gain an easy couple of pounds

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMFVqytsx/

Referral code - CF36000931

sorry if not allowed.

3 hours ago, MellbergsBeard said:

A very strange one I was made aware of today and signed up to to TikTok for, download TickTok and sign up through the below link and you earn 17£ worth of Amazon vouchers in 7 days.

anyone that uses your referral gets £17 immediately so if anyone does sign up add your link below so some one else can gain an easy couple of pounds

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMFVqytsx/

Referral code - CF36000931

sorry if not allowed.

Sounds very dodgy

• 1 month later...
23 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

My stocks and shares ISA and my SiPP pension have both suddenly jumped in value after months, even years of wobbling around zero growth. Is this a blip or the start of a longer term financial recovery?

Because of interest rate increases around the word in the last 2 days.  
Not sure why that makes stock market go up though, in my head it should make it go down. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lichfield Dean said:

My stocks and shares ISA and my SiPP pension have both suddenly jumped in value after months, even years of wobbling around zero growth. Is this a blip or the start of a longer term financial recovery?

Big companies like Shell and ExxonMobil are making huge profits and will be paying a juicy dividend - a lot of pensions/trackers are invested into these. The banks will start announcing their results this week and higher interest rates equals more money for banks and again, better dividends. 

Add to the fact we've been informed (in the UK at least) that the recession might not be as deep as initially feared and inflation may have peaked, that also adds to a bit of confidence in the market. 

Like you, my investments and pension has been as flat as a witches tit for 18 months, but they've both had a bit of a boost. Very welcome. 

• Thanks 1

This covers the UK angle anyway

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64517179

The FTSE 100 stock index has closed at a record high, lifted by investors betting that a weak pound will help UK firms abroad and that the worst of the cost of living crisis has passed.

The index of the UK's biggest publicly listed companies gained more than 1%, to end the day at 7,901.8 points.

That was the highest level in almost five years, passing the previous closing record set in May 2018.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 14/04/2023 at 19:31, MakemineVanilla said:

Question:

How do rich people or businesses with large cash deposits, protect themselves from the risk of loss, in the event of a run on the banks?

Government bonds (gilts) low return very very low risk. If the Government goes tits up its all over anyway 

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Thanks 1

On 14/04/2023 at 19:31, MakemineVanilla said:

Question:

How do rich people or businesses with large cash deposits, protect themselves from the risk of loss, in the event of a run on the banks?

I was wondering the other day if you can get insurance for this sort of thing? Have £2m in the bank, bank goes bump, you only £80k or whatever it is back… insurance?

Â