Mobile Phone Contracts (Ver 2.0)

Genie

6 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm leaving Vodafone too. Still no working phone on my end.

Spoke to them yesterday. The guy absolutely poured his heart out and promised it would be fixed yesterday. "I will personally supervise this" blah blah blah

Still nothing.

Just spoke to them again "The porting team have requested you wait another 24-48 hours"

Will I ****. Go **** yourselves.

Hate to say I told you so ...but well done on leaving these clowns. Absolute idiots and a disgrace as a organisation. Full of cowboys.

6 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

On that note, seeing as my number seems to be in limbo between giff gaff and vodafone, will leaving vodafone now cause me problems trying to get that number ported to a new network?

From my experience no, just get your PAC code as normal and then give to your new provider. As long as you have it on file that you cancelled within 14 days. They will send you a letter saying sorry to see you leaving us, (i used mine as toilet paper) 

I'll confirm that with them on Saturday when I plan to cut the cord.

I'm actually furious about it.

I like the phone though, so if anyone else knows of any good deals on that phone let me know

On 19/02/2016 at 20:17, limpid said:

Once they stopped selling this, did you think it would last for ever? It's been on life support for a while. I can understand the frustration, but you are paying way, way below what the other providers offer.

You can get up to £70 cash back against the above too, although that might require porting to someone else for a month..

No I didn't, but what I did think would happen is it would go up every 12 months by whatever rate they can increase it by. That's what happens in most cases.

I have not had the letter yet, if and when it comes I will look at what is on offer, i would rather convert to a PAYG rather than sign up for a 12 month contract though.

• Like 1

So I'm back in the UK and looking to get a phone on the go.  I was all set to buy a 6S outright (the 64gb model is £599 from giffgaff) and then have the giffgaff deal at £12 per month which is 500 mins, unlimited texts and 2gb of data.

I've just found a deal with EE which is a 24 month contract, £24.99 per month for 1000 mins, unlimited texts and 2gb of data but only £125 up front.  This works out cheaper as the giffgaff option is £887 over 2 years, whereas EE is £725 over 2 years.  And I get more free calls.

This thread sold me on SIM only, but this deal looks like I should dive on it.  Thoughts?

I also found EE's signal to be quite poor in a lot of areas, despite their claims that they have more coverage than any other network. At the very least I would find somebody else with an EE phone adn check that they have good coverage in the places you're likely to be.

But I'm tempted to agree with the Limpmeister. For a £150 save over 2 years it may not be worth locking yourself in if you're moving about.

So I'm back in the UK and looking to get a phone on the go.  I was all set to buy a 6S outright (the 64gb model is £599 from giffgaff) and then have the giffgaff deal at £12 per month which is 500 mins, unlimited texts and 2gb of data.

I've just found a deal with EE which is a 24 month contract, £24.99 per month for 1000 mins, unlimited texts and 2gb of data but only £125 up front.  This works out cheaper as the giffgaff option is £887 over 2 years, whereas EE is £725 over 2 years.  And I get more free calls.

This thread sold me on SIM only, but this deal looks like I should dive on it.  Thoughts?

O2 offering the 64gb model for £75 upfront, unlimited calls and texts with 3gb internet. £31 a month.

I will be getting this tonight. EE have offered me the same price over 24 months, but with 5gb of internet, to stay with them but their service is patchy at best around where I live and I get poor to no signal in my house. I live in a well populated area of a city, not the middle of nowhere!

22 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I also found EE's signal to be quite poor in a lot of areas, despite their claims that they have more coverage than any other network. At the very least I would find somebody else with an EE phone adn check that they have good coverage in the places you're likely to be.

But I'm tempted to agree with the Limpmeister. For a £150 save over 2 years it may not be worth locking yourself in if you're moving about.

Good shout. Just checked coverage for the areas I'm most likely to be and it seems sketchy. I'd rather they were saying "Excellent" than "Good".

9 minutes ago, chappy said:

O2 offering the 64gb model for £75 upfront, unlimited calls and texts with 3gb internet. £31 a month.

I will be getting this tonight. EE have offered me the same price over 24 months, but with 5gb of internet, to stay with them but their service is patchy at best around where I live and I get poor to no signal in my house. I live in a well populated area of a city, not the middle of nowhere!

Where's this deal? Might be worth a shout.  Can't see it on their website.

You're going to be living and working in different places. Don't lock in to a contract because inevitably it won't work somewhere you need it to.

Get a MotoG or Xperia E5 and a cheap SIM until you're settled and then you can decide what you want to do. You can get SIM only on most of the networks through cheap resellers so you can try the different networks.

Once you're settled you might want to reconsider and do something different. Don't forget that the prices you quote for the 24 month contract aren't fixed

Just now, NurembergVillan said:

Good shout. Just checked coverage for the areas I'm most likely to be and it seems sketchy. I'd rather they were saying "Excellent" than "Good".

Even in the areas where they were apparently "Excellent", I found it to be patchy.

Definitely worth looking into. I don't know how they get their stats, but they claim to cover 90% of the UK I think. I must be pretty unlucky to spend a lot of my time in that last 10%

Â