£200k fine for pitch invasion

Oaks

And precisely how does it punish the club ?

They get their money from the fans....so it punishes ALL the fans.

And how does it act as a deterrent ?

Everyone already knew pitch invasions can cause fines, what difference did it make.

What are the Club to do ? Fences ? Dogs ? Hundreds of stewards ?

Based on what was a rare, and benign, event ?

Farcical.

Well the fans that did it haven't received a fine so it is a penalty on all of us, is that warranted ?

And why do you think 200 g is warranted ?

Would 300 be ?

400 ?

A million ?

Twenty quid ?

And would it be warranted if ' the fans' who 'entered the field of play' had numbered 20 less ? A hundred less ?

If there was just one ?

If wed all gone on ?

It is totally arbitrary both in amount and in precedent.

An utter nonsense.

On your logic if my mate exceeds the speed limit by 1 mph everyone in the car would deserve a fine.

It's not about my logic. Clubs are responsible for their fans. Who do UEFA punish when a segment of fans sing racist chants or engage in general hooliganism?

Our fans entered the field before the game had even finished. The fine is warranted on that basis, in my opinion.

But they just thought it was full time when it was a free kick - they were dumb yeah but I can see why they went on early.

Besides which, I thought the stewards handled it just fine. Any attempt to properly force fans back could have actually resulted in things kicking off. What else could they have done?

Our fans entered the field before the game had even finished. The fine is warranted on that basis, in my opinion.

I expect this dictated the size of the fine. Would have been £100k or less otherwise.

I'm interested in the arrangement, if any, clubs have when damage is caused by away fans. Does the home club just accept the seats/toilets/fire extinguishers need to be repaired/replaced at the home club's cost or do they send the bill (in private) to the away club?

I think it is commonly accepted that the fans mistakenly thought the ref had blown for full time.

Compare this to the fine received by clubs whose fans subject black players to racist abuse.  Absolutely ridiculous.  The Albion fans could have badly injured people with those broken seats.

• Like 1

Absolute joke.

Wonder if Reading, Bournemouth, Swindon etc etc etc will be fined as well.

Doubt it.

Yes but ours also happened during the match so there is a distinct difference. 

Well the fans that did it haven't received a fine so it is a penalty on all of us, is that warranted ?

And why do you think 200 g is warranted ?

Would 300 be ?

400 ?

A million ?

Twenty quid ?

And would it be warranted if ' the fans' who 'entered the field of play' had numbered 20 less ? A hundred less ?

If there was just one ?

If wed all gone on ?

It is totally arbitrary both in amount and in precedent.

An utter nonsense.

On your logic if my mate exceeds the speed limit by 1 mph everyone in the car would deserve a fine.

It's not about my logic. Clubs are responsible for their fans. Who do UEFA punish when a segment of fans sing racist chants or engage in general hooliganism?

You are supporting their logic, and haven addressed any of the points I've raised.

Law/ rule enforcement isn't, and never has been, about saying there is a rule that says x which has been transgressed therefore action 'y' must follow.

I repeat, it does not directly punish the transgressors, it does punish the innocent, it won't deter, it is an arbitrary figure, and it is a nonsense.

I have no problem agreeing that fans shouldn't go on the pitch. I think it is moronic for an adult to do,personally, but then I think lots of things are.

This is a farce.

If that's the case Utd should have been fined about 60 million over the last 10 years considering what their fans do at every single away game.

Quite.

Law/ rule enforcement isn't, and never has been, about saying there is a rule that says x which has been transgressed therefore action 'y' must follow.

What?  :crylaugh:

What?  :crylaugh:

Which bit of that don't you get ?

I thought it written it as simplistically as I could, so that anyone, regardless of their intelligence, would understand it.

Apparently not.

It means just because a rule is broken it doesn't follow that particular punishments have to apply.

We don't prosecute everyone who exceeds the speed limit.

And when we do act against people there is a whole range of punishments, from informal warnings to life imprisonment !!

So just because some fans broke a rule it doesn't follow that the action taken must automatically be considered appropriate.

OK ?

I think it's a bit excessive but what I'm more upset about is the fact that west brom seemingly are not being punished at all for their fans throwing seats, which is far worse than fans invading the pitch celebrating.

But they just thought it was full time when it was a free kick - they were dumb yeah but I can see why they went on early.

Besides which, I thought the stewards handled it just fine. Any attempt to properly force fans back could have actually resulted in things kicking off. What else could they have done?

That's still their fault though. There was still a minute or something left of added time when they ran on (IIRC).

You are supporting their logic, and haven addressed any of the points I've raised.

I repeat, it does not directly punish the transgressors, it does punish the innocent, it won't deter, it is an arbitrary figure, and it is a nonsense.

I have no problem agreeing that fans shouldn't go on the pitch. I think it is moronic for an adult to do,personally, but then I think lots of things are.

This is a farce.

Your points centre around the idea that the club hosting a sporting event has no responsibility for the actions of the fans it allows through the turnstiles. Now I'd argue they do, you digress. Regardless that is the principle applied by the footballing authorities and as such we have been fairly punished. My original post was more in response to the suggestion that we are being harshly targeted by the FA.

I expect this dictated the size of the fine. Would have been £100k or less otherwise.

I'm interested in the arrangement, if any, clubs have when damage is caused by away fans. Does the home club just accept the seats/toilets/fire extinguishers need to be repaired/replaced at the home club's cost or do they send the bill (in private) to the away club?

I think it is commonly accepted that the fans mistakenly thought the ref had blown for full time.

Compare this to the fine received by clubs whose fans subject black players to racist abuse.  Absolutely ridiculous.  The Albion fans could have badly injured people with those broken seats.

Unfortunately the FA will have witnessed the invasion, albeit small, immediately after Sinclair's goal - well before the final whistle. The invasion in the 93rd minute was also pretty stupid as I'm sure only a few thought the match was over whilst the rest thought "we might as well run on too". I have no real issue with the celebratory invasion after the final whistle, although in an ideal world (never going to happen), they would have allowed 30 seconds or so for the boggies players to drag their sorry arses down the tunnel.

I hope Villa sent wba the bill for all the damage their idiots caused.

Â