The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

Not accepting that anti-Semitism was rife and it was all his fault is considered contrary to the report and therefore gives the party the golden opportunity to kill the great Satan.

If you didn't have suspicions about this, the entire thing stinks to high heaven.

You could smell it months ago.

5 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

So he’s suspended for his comment rather than the findings of the report?

Pretty much.

From a skim of the report is criticism of the former leadership is basically having any involvement in the disciplinary processes at all (despite the clamour for them do so) and irrespective of whether that was to hinder or help the process (the latter it appears was actually the case). 

But apparently to claim that anti-Semitism was trumped up for political purposes is (absurdly) in itself anti-Semitic, so here we are.

The chances of a split come not from suspending Corbyn - if this were simply about one person, they could just let him wait in purgatory for 3 years and then either run a candidate against him or hope he retired - but from exactly this:

Now, there are going to be those on here whose response is 'good, purge the lot' or variants thereof. But Starmer is somewhat hoist by his own petard; having accepted the findings that the leader's office should play no role in dealing with complaints, the size of his caucus may well be out of his hands, as the party lies at the mercy of nakedly factional complaints.

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yes, thank God we avoided the danger of those, and manage to save the party as it should be, a 'broad church'.

It's a very broad church.

It's just the church has some membership requirements.

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yes, thank God we avoided the danger of those, and manage to save the party as it should be, a 'broad church'.

It would be fun, if they started praising a god at the end of all this.

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

He's talking about party unity - he can see where this is going. But yeah, what he said 40 years ago is more to the point here. 

'Party unity' is doing some heavy lifting here. I'm old enough to remember when the hard left achieved a hostile takeover of the Labour party and bayed for the removal of all Blairite-type figures.

McDonnell can see the writing on the wall for his faction, and is now trying to prevent happening to him what his lot tried to do to others.

1 minute ago, Awol said:

'Party unity' is doing some heavy lifting here. I'm old enough to remember when the hard left achieved a hostile takeover of the Labour party and bayed for the removal of all Blairite-type figures.

McDonnell can see the writing on the wall for his faction, and is now trying to prevent happening to him what his lot tried to do to others.

Sorry, but I must be in need of a history lesson - can you please tell me more about 'when the hard left achieved a hostile takeover of the Labour party'.

1 minute ago, Awol said:

Ho ho. 62% of members voted for him in what can only be described as hostile democracy. 

Â