The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

No international crisis is too important to not be used as a wedge opportunity by Keir Starmer in his own battle with the left.

He's clearly of the view that "the left" as you call them are net vote losers for Labour and that therefore by distancing himself Labour can win more centre-ish votes than he loses.

I would suggest that the record of "the left" towards Russia/Putin has been shown to be rather naive and that on this one he's right.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, blandy said:

He's clearly of the view that "the left" as you call them are net vote losers for Labour and that therefore by distancing himself Labour can win more centre-ish votes than he loses.

I would suggest that the record of "the left" towards Russia/Putin has been shown to be rather naive and that on this one he's right.

There's also the option that it isn't some sort of Labour Party power-play or cynical electoral calculation, and that slapping down the small fringe who are still de facto supporting Putin in this theatre is just the right thing to do.

Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, ml1dch said:

There's also the option that it isn't some sort of Labour Party power-play or cynical electoral calculation, and that slapping down the small fringe who are still de facto supporting Putin in this theatre is just the right thing to do.

Nah, it isn't that. And if it was, he might want to consider whether having Peter Mandelson advise him is appropriate.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Nah, it isn't that. And if it was, he might want to consider whether having Peter Mandelson advise him is appropriate.

Fair enough. Slapping down the small fringe who are still de facto supporting Putin is just a happy side-effect of his power-play / electoral calculation. 

2 hours ago, blandy said:

on this one he's right.

He's 'right' on pretty much all issues, sadly.

Wrong party.

He'd do really well as a moderate or 'wet' tory. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

Thats my fault - haven't set foot in a Pret a Manger in 2 years now.

I’ve been nipping out of the Kidderminster office and buying my lunch over in Llanfihangel Nant Melan, it defo shows in those figures.

• Like 1

Obviously got swallowed by objectively much more important matters, but today was the by-election in Erdington. LabourList's Sienna Rodgers put this out a short time ago:

She goes on in the thread to say she's expecting 'low turnout and a narrow Labour win', but it doesn't sound particularly impressive.

30 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

he goes on in the thread to say she's expecting 'low turnout and a narrow Labour win', but it doesn't sound particularly impressive.

Sienna has never been swallowed by objectivity :D

I'm not sure I could understand anyone in Erdington voting Tory. I mean I don't really 'get' anyone with a modicum of human decency voting for them, but I guess if you're alright Jack in leafy home counties comfort I can get being happy with your lot. But Erdington? 

• Like 1

Â