Election Night 2015

Demitri_C

I'm a self confessed floating voter, so I'll fully admit to not having spent hours pouring over every policy and outcome of voting for one party or the other.

But like CV suggests, you shouldn't have to. The suggestion that 40 million people should be completely up to date with absolutely everything about politics is absurd.

Why have you come up with this straw man? It may not be bitter or sanctimonious but it is bollocks.

It isn't about 'being completely up to date with absolutely everything about politics' or spending 'hours pouring over every policy'.

Because its what's been implied many times in this thread.

That if voters knew all they should know about politics then they would have voted labour.

And the only way they could have voted Tory is if they were uneducated on the matter or had been "duped" into voting for them.

It very much reads as if you're educated on politics then you vote labour. If you're not you vote Tory and you should be MORE educated on the matter and vote labour instead.

Seemingly the concept of being educated on the matter and voting Tory is absurd. Unless you're a selfish racist. Of course.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

I'm a self confessed floating voter, so I'll fully admit to not having spent hours pouring over every policy and outcome of voting for one party or the other.

But like CV suggests, you shouldn't have to. The suggestion that 40 million people should be completely up to date with absolutely everything about politics is absurd.

Why have you come up with this straw man? It may not be bitter or sanctimonious but it is bollocks.

It isn't about 'being completely up to date with absolutely everything about politics' or spending 'hours pouring over every policy'.

That if voters knew all they should know about politics then they would have voted labour.

And the only way they could have voted Tory is if they were uneducated on the matter or had been "duped" into voting for them.

It very much reads as if you're educated on politics then you vote labour. If you're not you vote Tory and you should be MORE educated on the matter and vote labour instead.

Seemingly the concept of being educated on the matter and voting Tory is absurd. Unless you're a selfish racist. Of course.

That's not what's been said from what I can see. There might be a couple of extreme examples, but I haven't seen anyone make a sensible point that has implied that all Voters would vote Labour if they were educated on such matters and I think it's a shame you have taken it that way.

Funny thing is, its Stevo, Tonyh29 and myself being most vocal in defence of that point and all of us have admitted we didn't even vote Conservative. 

I guess the Tory voters can't defend themselves as they are out setting fire to the poor or eating babies. 

• Like 1

Funny thing is, its Stevo, Tonyh29 and myself being most vocal in defence of that point and all of us have admitted we didn't even vote Conservative. 

I guess the Tory voters can't defend themselves as they are out setting fire to the poor or eating babies.

The other funny thing is, I have answered some of the points aimed at me with reasoned responses, which have been ignored, then a few pages later, the same accusations come back around.

It's like the Lambert thread all over again.

I think most of them just can't be bothered with the hassle they'd get on here.

Edited by Mantis

It hasn't.

The opposite of voting Tory isn't voting Labour - it's simply not voting Tory.

but the fact that the election isnt based on who you dont want seems to be lost on some middle class kids on the streets of london

It hasn't.

The opposite of voting Tory isn't voting Labour - it's simply not voting Tory.

It really really has.

You might not have. But plenty others have.

That's certainly how its coming across.

It seems anyone who voted Tory is getting mocked.

Even if we are, I couldn't give a rats in honesty. The party I voted for are in power now, and I'm laughing all the way to the bank providing they keep the manifesto promises.

Mock me all they want, I'm bloated on disabled kids anyway ;)

• Like 1

The independent pointing out that Gove wrote an article in The Times in 1998 whereby he stated that it was wrong to abolish hanging in the 1960s. Not sure that's a good choice for Secretary of Justice.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/generalelection/our-new-justice-secretary-michael-gove-wanted-to-bring-back-hanging-10239681.html

I think it's a national trait for political matters that if you vote Tory, you keep quiet about it or you're slightly embarrassed if you do. In my experience so far, it's Labour voters that are constantly heard as the loudest, which is expected. One is establishment, one is alternative (or three days, supposedly alternative but not quite as alternative as it used to be).

Even the panorama before the election, a guy that was going to vote Tory struggled to muster the courage to admit it

It really really has.

It really, really, really hasn't.

It hasn't been suggested many times in this thread that people need to spend hours pouring over every single policy and that they need to be completely up to date with absolutely everything about politics and that this then necessarily leads to voting for Labour.

I think it's a national trait for political matters that if you vote Tory, you keep quiet about it or you're slightly embarrassed if you do

I guess I don't make up the demographic, but I'm certainly not in anyway embarrassed. It probably has more to do with Birmingham being labour, and this site being a villa site.

Besides we Tories are more dignified than to take to the streets fighting with police, and desecrating war memorials over who we vote for ;)

• Like 1

It really really has.

It really, really, really hasn't.

It hasn't been suggested many times in this thread that people need to spend hours pouring over every single policy and that they need to be completely up to date with absolutely everything about politics and that this then necessarily leads to voting for Labour.

Maybe not always labour, but that's definitely been included. But certainly not Tory.

That's how I've read it anyway. Fair enough if you haven't.

Edited by Stevo985

I think it's a national trait for political matters that if you vote Tory, you keep quiet about it or you're slightly embarrassed if you do

I guess I don't make up the demographic, but I'm certainly not in anyway embarrassed. It probably has more to do with Birmingham being labour, and this site being a villa site.

Besides we Tories are more dignified than to take to the streets fighting with police, and desecrating war memorials over who we vote for ;)

It's certainly true in London. I did vote Tory (that's not an invitation for a political debate with me, my reasons are my own. I'm not going to it, I'm just using that fact as an example) but the office was adamant that anyone that voted Tory are self serving, money obsessed baby killers. That maybe true of the actual members and cabinet, but not the voters.

It's certainly true in London. I did vote Tory (that's not an invitation for a political debate with me, my reasons are my own. I'm not going to it, I'm just using that fact as an example) but the office was adamant that anyone that voted Tory are self serving, money obsessed baby killers. That maybe true of the actual members and cabinet, but not the voters.

I dunno, I can be pretty self serving...well me and my family in my choices.

And I just finished a lovely baby pie.

Â