England squad upcoming games v Lithuania and Italy.

andykeenan

I think the midfield looks ok if played correctly.

Would like to see MIlner in the middle with someone like Henderson, and maybe Sterling in front playing off the strikers.

Dunno watching Milner last night against Messi and co he just looked like a plodder. 

Let the Townsend media circus begin again.

ITV probably crying with happiness that they can commentate on him again.

Also Baines being picked for England again is suprising he was absolutely awful in the world cup and that's saying something considering how bad the entire squad was.

Edited by Bradd92

4-3-3

Hart

Clyde - jagielka - Cahill - Baines

Carrick - Delph - Henderson

Sterling - Rooney - sturridge

Set up like liverpools diamond, Delph and Henderson have to have enough about them to protect carrick slack of pace, Rooney and sterling rotating as to who is at the top of the diamond, I think it's decent apart from jagielka and Baines is out of form

He won't play that though, he'll shoe horn welbeck in again and go with Henderson and a.n.other in a failing midfield pairing

If Delph plays, it'd be on the left of a midfield 3, I'd have thought. If that's the 3, I'd think Carrick would play centrally, and Henderson on the right.

yep that was exactly my thinking, carrick sitting, henderson and delph providing the energy in front of him, delph left, henderson right

Also Baines being picked for England again is suprising he was absolutely awful in the world cup and that's saying something considering how bad the entire squad was.

That could be forgiven if he was playing well for Everton but he isn't. In fact, three left-backs have been picked in this squad and easily the best English left-back this season - Ryan Bertrand - isn't one of them.

Not much wrong with that squad except that Austin really ought to be in there.

The defence is miserable but you can't really blame Hodgson for that - it's a shame Clark declared for Ireland!

I can pick at least half a dozen players that shouldn't be in there, ranging from old and past it, are not regular for their clubs, are not impressing for their clubs - are in shit form, and have just come back from injury.

or have just been tried and tested again and again, one thing this squad does lack is a sense of adventure, especially up front, not only is walcott still not 100% after his injury, not starting for arsenal and not doing anything that special when he does play, we all know what he does, all the players know his game, theres no integration or anything needed, roy doesnt need to take a look at him and see how he fits, he simply doesnt need to be there IMO

its hard to tell because i dont know the full detail of injuries etc but thats something ze germans excel at, and dont get me wrong they have a far better talent pool than us, but if knoche plays next week i think he'll be the 16th player to make their debut in the last year, i think Kane will be our 5th,  it seems to me like low has a look at everyone

Edited by villa4europe

thing is you cant say half the squad dont deserve to be there because beggars cant be choosers, in my mind jagielka, smalling and jones shouldnt be anywhere near an england squad but if they arent called up then who is? if he'd have stayed english (not meaning to derail the thread...) i seriously think clark would (or at least definitely should) be called up to this england squad, with stones injured theres no one else after them three

how many years a go was it carragher quit because he couldnt get a sniff? the dip in the quality of our CBs is alarming, 10 years ago we would all be moaning like **** that wes brown shouldnt be anywhere near the squad, he was a far better CB than those 3

Overall it's an awful squad. If that was a premier league team I reckon they would be finishing around 7th. 

Well that's par given the best England have done in the last 15 years in tournaments is last 8.

I'd have liked to have seen another of the younger strikers in there but given thr U21 tournament is only a few months away now I understand why that's a priority.

I like that squad apart from the centre backs, The centre back area is **** dreadful!  Cahill, Jagielka, Jones, Smalling, deary me that's crap.

So which centre backs has he missed that have been doing so much better than the above?

The two who are probably in the best form at the moment are Dann and Shawcross. Do you think people would be much happier if those two were in the squad instead of any two of the above?

Tom Ince has shocked Gareth Southgate by informing him that he does not want to play for England’s Under-21s.

The winger, the son of the former England captain Paul Ince, has played 18 times for the Under-21s and had been expected to feature in this summer’s European Championship in the Czech Republic. But Ince, who is on loan at Derby County from Hull City, has withdrawn from contention.

“I have had discussions with Tom and his dad over the last week or so and he has decided he does not want to be considered for the Under-21s,” Southgate said. “I have to say I was surprised. He has obviously been a regular for us all the way through the campaign.

“But he feels at this moment in time he has got some priorities at club level. There is some uncertainty about where he is going to be at club level next season.”

turns down Inter for Hull and now turns down England Under 21

he is some chancer is Tom Ince

Shawcross has been one of the most consistant centre halves in the league for the last 5 years not just English, imo he's better than people like Smalling and Caulker.

The press don't like him because of the Ramsey tackle so I think that's partly why he never gets a call up.

Shawcross is a good player but he would be destroyed at international level as his style of play is archaic

he was all over the place when he came on vs Sweden a few years back (im sure he hasnt got a call up since)

• Like 1

Shawcross is a good player but he would be destroyed at international level as his style of play is archaic

You don't think you're being slightly over-dramatic?

I don't think that any of Lithuania, Slovenia or Estonia are going to destroy him. That's what international level is for England's immediate future.

The likes of Spain, Germany and France probably would, just as they probably would any of the other centre backs that England couple field against them. 

maybe not them but he was destroyed by Sweden granted they had Zlatan but rest of team are average and play a style that he should thrive against, lot of "fodder" European teams have improved a lot in recent teams and are a lot more technical and this is a weakness.

If England was in a group with Ireland or a Scandinavian or other UK team then I would use Shawcross

maybe not them but he was destroyed by Sweden granted they had Zlatan but rest of team are average and play a style that he should thrive against

Yes, it was a pretty rubbish 16 minutes (he came on after 74 minutes of that game) against one of the best strikers in the world. 

Better defenders than Ryan Shawcross have had worse 16 minute spells in their lives. It's probably not worth writing his entire potential international career off over it. 

Tom Ince has shocked Gareth Southgate by informing him that he does not want to play for England’s Under-21s.

The winger, the son of the former England captain Paul Ince, has played 18 times for the Under-21s and had been expected to feature in this summer’s European Championship in the Czech Republic. But Ince, who is on loan at Derby County from Hull City, has withdrawn from contention.

“I have had discussions with Tom and his dad over the last week or so and he has decided he does not want to be considered for the Under-21s,” Southgate said. “I have to say I was surprised. He has obviously been a regular for us all the way through the campaign.

“But he feels at this moment in time he has got some priorities at club level. There is some uncertainty about where he is going to be at club level next season.”

turns down Inter for Hull and now turns down England Under 21

he is some chancer is Tom Ince

To be fair if it's because he's focusing on his club then maybe it's acceptable, to me he's proper shit or bust now, facing a nothing career in the championship, too much too young, overhyped, constant rumours about the return to Liverpool and being a future star, believed it long before he earned it

Â