England squad upcoming games v Lithuania and Italy.

andykeenan

We are not that well off for cbs are we. Never really liked Shawcross but maybe that is because of the Ramsey tackle. 

It goes in cycles really as even 5 years ago Terry, Rio, Campbell, Lescott were all options still.

That said look at the quality available in all positions England had in the 90s and the strength of depth compared to now. That's why I'm one of the few on here who defend Woy on a regular basis.

I don't defend him because I still think he's incredibly safe rather than forward thinking, he's a bit of a yes man IMO

Pre WC last year the team that played the best football was Liverpool, and they did it based around an English core with a good formation that could easily have been adapted for England and Roy completely ignored it, we were shit at the WC because gerrard in a midfield 2 was suicide

That's said he's changed it since, and I do believe the ghosts of the so called golden generation actually held us back, England need to try and be a great team rather than a bunch of well paid individuals being told they are world class, I think gerrard being out of the midfield will actually improve us, he's probably one of the worst things that's happened to England on the international stage, ruined the balance of our midfield for a decade and ousted players like scholes and lampard who are more suited to what international football is

You'd do incredibly well after 30 years of watching them to convince me England don't shoe horn players in based on their name and who they play for, don't think I've ever seen us with a manager who had an ethos and picked the team around that instead if picking a formation and style around who he wanted to play, Roy is absolutely no different IMO

• Like 1

Yes that's true. Woy is a very inflexible manager as we've seen with his numerous club sides, he plays a rigid 4-4-2 most of the time and that's it.

Where I defend him is if England can't even get to semi finals with the players they had 10 years ago why are people expecting that under him when they squad is nowhere good enough in terms of quality to that nowadays. That and if you check the records he has given a huge amount of young players caps and opportunities in the last 2 and a half years which is one of the things I was calling for as Capello largely stuck with the old guard who were found out big time in World cup 2010.

Like I said on the previous page though, does he really give people a chance? Will try and check the figures over the weekend but a quick look on Wikipedia earlier told me we had 4 debutants last year, Germany had 17... Will look to see what Brazil, Italy, Spain etc do but I think there's been a couple of occasions where he's gone safe with the team, no Bertrand in this squad, taken Clyne longer than it should, for whatever reason I can't shake the feeling that if he was fit andy Carroll would be in every England squad

England had 12 players at World Cup with 15 caps or under and 8 players 23 or under. bit harsh to say he never gives players a chance

i havent checked but im sure they were among highest of any nation that went out to Brazil

Tom Ince has shocked Gareth Southgate by informing him that he does not want to play for England’s Under-21s.

The winger, the son of the former England captain Paul Ince, has played 18 times for the Under-21s and had been expected to feature in this summer’s European Championship in the Czech Republic. But Ince, who is on loan at Derby County from Hull City, has withdrawn from contention.

“I have had discussions with Tom and his dad over the last week or so and he has decided he does not want to be considered for the Under-21s,” Southgate said. “I have to say I was surprised. He has obviously been a regular for us all the way through the campaign.

“But he feels at this moment in time he has got some priorities at club level. There is some uncertainty about where he is going to be at club level next season.”

turns down Inter for Hull and now turns down England Under 21

he is some chancer is Tom Ince

To be fair if it's because he's focusing on his club then maybe it's acceptable, to me he's proper shit or bust now, facing a nothing career in the championship, too much too young, overhyped, constant rumours about the return to Liverpool and being a future star, believed it long before he earned it

Plus players are constantly getting pelters from fans for taking the big money and going to a big club even though they'll never play.

But when they turn down a big club for a better chance of actually playing football, they get the same pelters for a different reason. They can't win.

Danny Rose. The bloke should be about 8th in line for the LB spot.  :rolleyes:

Anyway Italy named their squad for the England friendly....

Gk: Buffon (Juventus), Perin (Genoa), Sirigu (Paris Saint Germain);

D: Barzagli (Juventus), Bonucci (Juventus), Chiellini (Juventus), Moretti (Torino), Ranocchia (Inter);

M: Antonelli (Milan), Bertolacci (Genoa), Candreva (Lazio), Cerci (Milan), Darmian (Torino), Florenzi (Roma), Marchisio (Juventus), Parolo (Lazio), Pasqual (Fiorentina), Soriano (Sampdoria), Valdifiori (Empoli), Verratti (Paris Saint Germain);

F: Eder (Sampdoria), Gabbiadini (Napoli), Immobile (Borussia Dortmund), Pellé (Southampton), Vazquez (Palermo), Zaza (Sassuolo)

I know they're missing a few key players in midfield like De Rossi and Pirlo but I don't know how about 10 of those are, Moretti is some 33 year old left back from Torino apparently who has 1 cap....Bertolacci, Parolo, Soriano, Eder, nah don't know them.

I suppose the thing with Italy is the individual talent 1-11 isn't that much better than England but they're so tactically in tune that they can be set up as greater than the sum of their parts on a regular basis.

Tom Ince has shocked Gareth Southgate by informing him that he does not want to play for England’s Under-21s.

The winger, the son of the former England captain Paul Ince, has played 18 times for the Under-21s and had been expected to feature in this summer’s European Championship in the Czech Republic. But Ince, who is on loan at Derby County from Hull City, has withdrawn from contention.

“I have had discussions with Tom and his dad over the last week or so and he has decided he does not want to be considered for the Under-21s,” Southgate said. “I have to say I was surprised. He has obviously been a regular for us all the way through the campaign.

“But he feels at this moment in time he has got some priorities at club level. There is some uncertainty about where he is going to be at club level next season.”

He has inherited his ego from his Dad

Charlie Austin. 27 games 15 goals. FOR QPR

Danny Welbeck. 24 games 4 goals. FOR ARSENAL

Austin not in squad. Pathetic Hodgson. Rather have Shawcross than Jagielka. Rather have Bertrand than Baines or Gibbs. Cleverley was in the England squad a few years ago. Fed up of this not getting in because you don't play for a big club shit.

Was talking about it on Saturday and the general consensus was that he'd been very poor vs wolves Friday night, I really do think he's at a shit or bust stage of his career, if he plays well and derby get promoted he might a prem player next season, at the moment I think that despite all the hype he we won't be

Austin not in squad. Pathetic Hodgson. Rather have Shawcross than Jagielka. Rather have Bertrand than Baines or Gibbs. Cleverley was in the England squad a few years ago. Fed up of this not getting in because you don't play for a big club shit.

why does Welbeck always have to be questioned though. His record for England is better than a lot of other players and never lets the team down

why does Welbeck always have to be questioned though. His record for England is better than a lot of other players and never lets the team down

TBF Welbeck offers more than just goal scoring. However I just used his stats from this season to show how ridiculous it is that Austin is not in the squad and that there is a huge big club bias.

We know what Welbeck can do for England. Austin can prove to be just as useful but won't have the chance to show it. That is my issue. I have nothing against Welbeck getting called up as he does a good job usually for England but not calling up Austin after the season he has had with a chance to show what he can or can't do is poor. That said hasn't his goals dried up recently or am I just imagining it.

To be fair if it's because he's focusing on his club then maybe it's acceptable, to me he's proper shit or bust now, facing a nothing career in the championship, too much too young, overhyped, constant rumours about the return to Liverpool and being a future star, believed it long before he earned it

I'm not defending him for turning down the Under 21s, because I think that's stupid, but to be fair to him turning down Inter to join Hull was the sensible option and showed a willingness to get first-team football. It isn't working out for him at the moment though. 

Â