Clubs, Class, Religion and Politics

maqroll

Chelsea, Rangers & Linfield supporters have some kind of fraternal relationship based on Loyalism/Brit Nationalism I believe. A great bunch of lads. 

Their opposites are no better either to be fair. Both sides get on my nerves - keep that sectarian shit out of football.

I don't believe the mentioned clubs alliance is purely sectarian in its nature, they're Loyal in a general sense dontcha know. My own experience being in a football ground with Linfield supporters was generally positive.

I don't really know anything about Linfield, but I do know about the Old Firm and all the sectarian bullshit there.

I've never heard of Villa described as a "middle class" club before.   Arsenal and Fulham I get, I mean they play their home games in Islington and Fulham.  Even Chelsea and QPR to a certain extent but their heartlands (Battersea and Shepherds Bush) aren't really in the same league as Arsenal of Fulham.  Villa? Nah. 

Agree with Isa, Villa seems to draw a lot more fans from more 'comfortable' surrounding counties (Warwickshire, Worcestershire, etc) as well as Sutton Coldfield while Small Heath is more associated with inner city Birmingham. Not sure how true that is in practice but the perception is there. 

I'm sure it's a little bit more staight forward than that.

A Blu-nose obviously has no logical perception of the art of the beautiful game or Kit-colour.

Most of them have the dissadvantage of living near the Sty and are probably attracted by the smell

I've never heard of Villa described as a "middle class" club before.   Arsenal and Fulham I get, I mean they play their home games in Islington and Fulham.  Even Chelsea and QPR to a certain extent but their heartlands (Battersea and Shepherds Bush) aren't really in the same league as Arsenal of Fulham.  Villa? Nah. 

It's complicated though. I used to live in Finsbury Park and match days at Highbury got pretty damn proletariat from what I could see, but the seats were very expensive and often filled with media types -- so, higher prices, but London wages are higher -- but so is CoL -- but, but, but, etc. It's complicated.

The only way really to know would be to do a detailed sociological study in the spirit of someone like Pierre Bourdieu. This has probably already been done, now that I think about it.

As I said before, the whole Premier League is middle class now.

Chelsea, Rangers & Linfield supporters have some kind of fraternal relationship based on Loyalism/Brit Nationalism I believe. A great bunch of lads. 

3 wonderful set of fans. They just have a dislike for property mainly

It's complicated though. I used to live in Finsbury Park and match days at Highbury got pretty damn proletariat from what I could see, but the seats were very expensive and often filled with media types -- so, higher prices, but London wages are higher -- but so is CoL -- but, but, but, etc. It's complicated.

No way are Arsenal traditionally a middle-class club. Finsbury Park and Blackstock Road remain pretty humble even now.

No way are Arsenal traditionally a middle-class club. Finsbury Park and Blackstock Road remain pretty humble even now.

Indeed. Lived right next to this, just a short walk to the Emirates. My cat used to go prowling here at night. He was less afraid than I was ...

01_andover_estate2.jpg

Edited by Plastic Man
  • Like 1

If you asked fans of every club what class, they see themselves as, I think the majority would say working class. Even fans of a teams like Fulham.

Who admits they're middle-class to, as I think the English put it, "the lads down the pub"?

If you asked fans of every club what class, they see themselves as, I think the majority would say working class. Even fans of a teams like Fulham.

Who admits they're middle-class to, as I think the English put it, "the lads down the pub"?

Middle class lads in a middle class pub.

Only if they've been to university and are being ironic.

Only if they've been to university and are being ironic.
I.e. about half the VT contributors.
  • Like 1

I've never heard of Villa described as a "middle class" club before. Arsenal and Fulham I get, I mean they play their home games in Islington and Fulham. Even Chelsea and QPR to a certain extent but their heartlands (Battersea and Shepherds Bush) aren't really in the same league as Arsenal of Fulham. Villa? Nah.

Indeed. Lived right next to this, just a short walk to the Emirates. My cat used to go prowling here at night. He was less afraid than I was ...

01_andover_estate2.jpg

That particular estate is still not particularly nice. Like most London estates though, the surrounding townhouses are worth £700-1m.

The marquess estate is equally an arsenal bastion, but that has been cleaned up since the 90s.

Some of the surrounding pubs round seven sisters road and Finsbury are still horrible boozers though.

• Like 1

That particular estate is still not particularly nice. Like most London estates though, the surrounding townhouses are worth £700-1m.

The marquess estate is equally an arsenal bastion, but that has been cleaned up since the 90s.

Some of the surrounding pubs round seven sisters road and Finsbury are still horrible boozers though.

Haha. It's gets pretty oily around there! But I love it, too.

Was especially strange era there when the Finsbury mosque was still radicalized and publicly linked to terrorism -- on Fridays, the men would come out in prayer shirts, often seeming pretty angry, mixed up with Arsenal fans.

Haha. It's gets pretty oily around there! But I love it, too.

Was especially strange era there when the Finsbury mosque was still radicalized and publicly linked to terrorism -- on Fridays, the men would come out in prayer shirts, often seeming pretty angry, mixed up with Arsenal fans.

You should have seen the looks of both social groups as a man in a villa top would walk past on a matchday. Utter confusion.
  • Like 1

IEverton- Catholic

Liverpool- Protestant

^^^Which seems counter-intuitive to me, I thought Liverpool and Celtic have like an unofficial brotherhood or something

I know a couple of Celtic fans who're also Everton fans, so maybe that is the case.

Agree with Isa, Villa seems to draw a lot more fans from more 'comfortable' surrounding counties (Warwickshire, Worcestershire, etc) as well as Sutton Coldfield while Small Heath is more associated with inner city Birmingham. Not sure how true that is in practice but the perception is there. 

This really winds me up (not you in particular Alex). I feel this is a myth perpetuated by sha fans to support their ludicrous claim, "real Brummies support sha". There are very few areas of Birmingham where their fans out number us, and if you go by the stereotype that the South of the city support that lot, and the North us, then it's a total contradiction! North Birmingham has a higher working class population than the South. Which is a more working class area, Erdington, or Harborne? Yes we draw support from through out the region, and beyond, but that's because we're a great institution of English football.  

• Like 2

This really winds me up (not you in particular Alex). I feel this is a myth perpetuated by sha fans to support their ludicrous claim, "real Brummies support sha". There are very few areas of Birmingham where their fans out number us, and if you go by the stereotype that the South of the city support that lot, and the North us, then it's a total contradiction! North Birmingham has a higher working class population than the South. Which is a more working class area, Erdington, or Harborne? Yes we draw support from through out the region, and beyond, but that's because we're a great institution of English football.  

It sounds like being a "real Brummie" in this case is merely a way for middle-class noses to burnish their otherwise absent street cred?

Not really. My comment is not really about us or them being middle or working class (although, reading it back I can see it may seem that way). I suppose I'm just pointing out how pathetic they are, when it comes to trying to score points, and the massive inconsistencies in their argument. They'll take anything they can though. All the, working class, salt of the earth, honest, proper Brummies shit winds me up. They're a poorly supported club, have won **** all in their miserable existence, and have always been tin pot. The idea that they have more fans from the city is ludicrous. Even going back to a time when our support would have been more local, because of a lack of transport, we've still constantly filled our ground with more supporters than them.  

• Like 4

Â