Clubs, Class, Religion and Politics

maqroll

I've heard things and read things about how some clubs are rightly or wrongly affiliated or associated with a variety of labels. For instance, I've heard that the following clubs are considered "middle class":

Arsenal

Aston Villa

Fulham

QPR

Chelsea

And that these clubs have the following religion tag:

Everton- Catholic

Liverpool- Protestant

^^^Which seems counter-intuitive to me, I thought Liverpool and Celtic have like an unofficial brotherhood or something

Chelsea-Protestant

Spurs- Jewish

Politics:

Newcastle- Left Wing

Both Manchester clubs- Left Wing

Other than the Spurs-Jewish thing, which seems to be universally accepted as fact, what do you think about these other things? Total rubbish scraped from the bottom of the internet, or is there some validity to some of it?

Are there other English clubs that you associate with class, religion or politics?

I've noticed that quite a few clubs in other countries have strong political connections but we don't really have that here. Even as somebody who takes a keen interest in politics and has a lot of strong views I'm glad that it's not really a factor in English football - I hope it stays that way too.

From what I understand, Villa are more of a middle-class club in that most of the support is based in the suburbs and surrounding counties rather than the inner city which is more the domain of Small Heath. I might be wrong.

I've noticed that quite a few clubs in other countries have strong political connections but we don't really have that here. Even as somebody who takes a keen interest in politics and has a lot of strong views I'm glad that it's not really a factor in English football - I hope it stays that way too.

Yes, I think it's mainly due to the absence of the whole 'ultras' thing in this country.

Agree with Isa, Villa seems to draw a lot more fans from more 'comfortable' surrounding counties (Warwickshire, Worcestershire, etc) as well as Sutton Coldfield while Small Heath is more associated with inner city Birmingham. Not sure how true that is in practice but the perception is there. 

I would say that - unlike most European countries (and the U.S.???), the majority of British people are politically apathetic, hence its irrelevance in football terms.

• Like 1

I'm not sure there's much of a political angle to football in the UK. Celtic and Rangers apart. Millwall / West Ham also has a political angle with the strike breakers but that's really searching for stuff.

This apolitical attitude is a good thing.

I suppose back in the bad old days NF type groups tried to recruit at football by promising people some exciting running and chasing games. But generally the football is the be all and end all and not a vehicle for other stuff. 

There are also niche groups like Dulwich Hamlet, but that's very much a tiny tinydrop in the ocean.

B9mnaXZIIAAltp0.jpg

• Like 1

I think Villa have do some street cred, man. Can't let the Noses have the market cornered on that, I hope.

Did you see those maniacal pitch invaders? They wore the facial expressions of real old timey West Mercian warriors. All they needed were some bronze battle axes and a touch of syphilis to go round.

Dark ages, dudes.

I know this because the London media said so. 

Chelsea, Rangers & Linfield supporters have some kind of fraternal relationship based on Loyalism/Brit Nationalism I believe. A great bunch of lads. 

Their opposites are no better either to be fair. Both sides get on my nerves - keep that sectarian shit out of football.

• Like 4

Chelsea, Rangers & Linfield supporters have some kind of fraternal relationship based on Loyalism/Brit Nationalism I believe. A great bunch of lads. 

Their opposites are no better either to be fair. Both sides get on my nerves - keep that sectarian shit out of football.

I don't believe the mentioned clubs alliance is purely sectarian in its nature, they're Loyal in a general sense dontcha know. My own experience being in a football ground with Linfield supporters was generally positive.

Agree.

I've heard things and read things about how some clubs are rightly or wrongly affiliated or associated with a variety of labels. For instance, I've heard that the following clubs are considered "middle class":

Are there other English clubs that you associate with class, religion or politics?

Class and football is a fascinating subject, but the only recent class development in football in Britain that matters is the triple-engined effect of Hillsborough, the establishment of the Premier League, and the backlash against "hooliganism" of the 80s.

There are no "working class" Premier clubs. That's a laugh. Football has been embraced and entirely tamed by Britain's middle-class. But then again, so has all of English society. Whereas people like my dad used to boast about the metal shavings they'd get stuck in his hands every day at the lathe in industrial Brum, a lot of English men today would rather tell you how to make a nice rissoto.  

And guess what?: that's a good thing. The "owd days," from what I can tell, weren't always so wonderful.

The real affiliations are now bought and sold on the open market. 

Wonga. Need I say more?

Edited by Plastic Man

Â