2015 Takeover Thread

samjp26

https://audioboom.com/boos/3376532-hodgsonhoward-jonnygould-with-the-avfc-latest?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

A bit of insight into why the takeover may have failed from Howard Hodgson.  Haven't said anything previously but Jonny Gould mentions it in this podcast so its out in the open.  Howard was involved in one of the takeover bids as an advisor.  It came close as far as I know.

Edited by omariqy
  • Like 1

I thought you meant he was advising during the takeover process and once done he'd walk away. If they really would have been great for the club then it makes you wonder what went wrong, as I presume they've got the money. Until Randy comes out and says that the club is no longer for sale, then anything's possible I guess.

https://audioboom.com/boos/3376532-hodgsonhoward-jonnygould-with-the-avfc-latest?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

A bit of insight into why the takeover may have failed from Howard Hodgson.  Haven't said anything previously but Jonny Gould mentions it in this podcast so its out in the open.  Howard was involved in one of the takeover bids as an advisor.  It came close as far as I know.

Just listening to it...I called it, the cause was the chinese stock market crash.

Listening to it, Hodgson says that there were two in for the club and both deals have collapsed. But the Chinese bid still could still be resurrected and that talks are still going on, I guess it's unlikely though with what's happening in Beijing.

I do wonder why a football club like Aston Villa seems so difficult to sell. Great infrastructure, facilities, tradition and potential.

Well, according to Hodgson the deal collapsed due chinese stock market crash, not because of Villa.

I do wonder why a football club like Aston Villa seems so difficult to sell. Great infrastructure, facilities, tradition and potential.

FFP.  Simple as that.  It doesn't matter how rich you are, you can't spend it the way you want to unless you go absolutely stratospheric like Man Citeh.  But your common or garden billionaire can't do that.  You are buying something that the system has all but guaranteed will remain where it is with little chance of success.

• Like 1

He's saying it's still ongoing but mentioned something about transferring the funds from mainland China to Europe might be a problem during the economic problems they're having. The other deal is apparently completely dead and that was the party who were further along in the process (according to Howard Hodgson)

During times of crisis, investors look for safe havens in which to put their money, so on one hand, a wealthy Chinese person investing in businesses/property in the UK makes sense.

The problem is that we're a Premier League football club - a total money pit - so there's no surprise any interested party decided to pull the plug. The Chinese market lost around $4 trillion in value, and large investors were eventually prevented from selling their holdings. There's now a lack of liquidity and the whole thing is a mess.

The last thing you'd want is a PL football club.

FFP.  Simple as that.  It doesn't matter how rich you are, you can't spend it the way you want to unless you go absolutely stratospheric like Man Citeh.  But your common or garden billionaire can't do that.  You are buying something that the system has all but guaranteed will remain where it is with little chance of success.

All absolutely correct but i'm not sure that explains why nobody has bought us because that explanation assumes that anyone buying the club would be doing so in pursuit of footballing success.

These days I'm not so sure that that is always likely to be the objective of someone trying to buy a club. Sure, without a single shred of doubt that is why Hodgson wants to buy the club but I don't its why those backing him were interested.

Football club owners these days, particualrly from overseas are in it for the money, either through the turnover of the club or through the exposure of their products to UK markets or the exposure of their football team to their domestic markets.

So on that level, Villa appear to be a very attractive proposition even if we aren't likely to ever compete for the league again.

It is even more amazing when you consider the asking price is £150 and just two of our assets in Delph and Benteke could perhaps be sold for circa £40m if they so wished.

Forget the football, there is a very profitable business opportunity at Villa Park especially with the new TV deal and in Fox we finally have someone commercially savvy enough to make the most of the potential.

That Lerner has failed so badly on this front these last few years shouldn't mask that. Even Lerner when he arrived here had ideas of making money and a ten year plan to do it, it was just a crap one and he had Paul Faulkner executing it.

• Like 1

Well if it's just a case of the Chinese stock market recovering then it's a matter of time until we bought. If HH is of course not embelishing his story a little, for some media attention. No, he wouldn't do that. 

• Like 1

I think Dalian Wanda were said to have lost about 7 Billion from their valuation. So I'm presuming that the owner lost quite a bit from his personal wealth too. Maybe if the stock market over there makes a quick recovery something might happen, but I'm not sure how these things work to be honest.

FFP. Simple as that. It doesn't matter how rich you are, you can't spend it the way you want to unless you go absolutely stratospheric like Man Citeh. But your common or garden billionaire can't do that. You are buying something that the system has all but guaranteed will remain where it is with little chance of success.

All absolutely correct but i'm not sure that explains why nobody has bought us because that explanation assumes that anyone buying the club would be doing so in pursuit of footballing success.

These days I'm not so sure that that is always likely to be the objective of someone trying to buy a club. Sure, without a single shred of doubt that is why Hodgson wants to buy the club but I don't its why those backing him were interested.

Football club owners these days, particualrly from overseas are in it for the money, either through the turnover of the club or through the exposure of their products to UK markets or the exposure of their football team to their domestic markets.

So on that level, Villa appear to be a very attractive proposition even if we aren't likely to ever compete for the league again.

It is even more amazing when you consider the asking price is £150 and just two of our assets in Delph and Benteke could perhaps be sold for circa £40m if they so wished.

Forget the football, there is a very profitable business opportunity at Villa Park especially with the new TV deal and in Fox we finally have someone commercially savvy enough to make the most of the potential.

That Lerner has failed so badly on this front these last few years shouldn't mask that. Even Lerner when he arrived here had ideas of making money and a ten year plan to do it, it was just a crap one and he had Paul Faulkner executing it.

Profitable if you have other businesses to promote, but in terms of profit taking (i.e. extracting it out of the club) then there's much better places you could put your money.

Â