2015 Takeover Thread

samjp26

Out of interest what would you want him to do? What does Abramovic or the Glazers do? Owners do not do the hands on stuff.

Have a long term plan, putting things in place to try and succeed and make sure these things run smoothly and continue.

Currently we've slashed wages with the sole aim of surviving and now he's stepped back waiting for the club to be sold.

Massive difference.

Garbage.

He gave Lambert a lengthy contract whilst having to cut costs (through his own fault) and promoting a "young and hungry" approach, whilst having already spent on our training facilities etc when first at the club.  He's now appointed Tom Fox to ensure "things run smoothly".  Everything he's done since the initial overspend and huge mess-up has been to stabilise the club long-term.

Obviously, I massively blame Lerner for the mess we have been in, but everything since then has been done as a long-term thing and with the club in mind.  This hasn't been a money making exercise at all.

12 months ago this thread would have easily surpassed 10-15 pages over night over any slight nugget of supposed ITK. It just goes to shows how worn down by bullshit people are. Reading through the guys tweets he does seem to know what he is on about. I'm very apprehensive though if it is this multinational consortium in talks, they can have WBA.

He authored this article about the development of Chinese investment in football which made for an interesting read, in particular the bit linking it to government policy.

This seems to me to be the latest successor to the wave of Arab ownership and Russian ownership prior to that. I don't see what reason there is to be any more apprehensive about a Chinese influx.

I genuinely believe it's because they "are all the same" to some. You know, the fellas with the funny eyes.

Personally I am fascinated by how they might bring their cultural and business values (as well as their wealth) to a big club.

• Like 2

Out of interest what would you want him to do? What does Abramovic or the Glazers do? Owners do not do the hands on stuff.

Have a long term plan, putting things in place to try and succeed and make sure these things run smoothly and continue.

Currently we've slashed wages with the sole aim of surviving and now he's stepped back waiting for the club to be sold.

Massive difference.

Garbage.

He gave Lambert a lengthy contract whilst having to cut costs (through his own fault) and promoting a "young and hungry" approach, whilst having already spent on our training facilities etc when first at the club. He's now appointed Tom Fox to ensure "things run smoothly". Everything he's done since the initial overspend and huge mess-up has been to stabilise the club long-term.

Obviously, I massively blame Lerner for the mess we have been in, but everything since then has been done as a long-term thing and with the club in mind. This hasn't been a money making exercise at all.

I didn't say it had. But the plan was quite clear. Survive while keeping costs down until the club is sold.

That's not what other owners who were mentioned do.

So not sure what's garbage about it.

Having seen our accounts and more importantly our wages ratio of 59% we are in the perfect position for a takeover. If we did get bought by a Chinese firm it could be massive. China is still untapped. If we became the club for China with massive exposure there the benefits are endless. Chelsea and Man City haven't got whole countries to tap into like that they're just bankrolled by their owners. For us coming to the party late we would need to have massive new revenue streams and China could be that.

12 months ago this thread would have easily surpassed 10-15 pages over night over any slight nugget of supposed ITK. It just goes to shows how worn down by bullshit people are. Reading through the guys tweets he does seem to know what he is on about. I'm very apprehensive though if it is this multinational consortium in talks, they can have WBA.

He authored this article about the development of Chinese investment in football which made for an interesting read, in particular the bit linking it to government policy.

This seems to me to be the latest successor to the wave of Arab ownership and Russian ownership prior to that. I don't see what reason there is to be any more apprehensive about a Chinese influx.

I genuinely believe it's because they "are all the same" to some. You know, the fellas with the funny eyes.

Personally I am fascinated by how they might bring their cultural and business values (as well as their wealth) to a big club.

Apologies if my point came across as xenophobic or racist wasn't my intention at all. What is of concern to me was his tweet regarding the Israeli company with English interests and Chinese money. I'm all for a (complete) Chinese takeover it's a no brainer really but I just shudder at the thought of a consortium unless it's Dalian Wanda & Alibaba.

• Like 1

It seems to stem from the fiasco involving our hilariously ill-fated neighbours but the signs in relation to Carson Yeung were always ominous regardless of where he came from. I remember that takeover was delayed for about a year because he continually failed to scrape together the funds to purchase the club. I think that was prior to the introduction of the 'fit and proper' ownership criteria also, so cowboys of his ilk would no longer be permitted to complete a takeover.

The other name that is referenced is Vincent Tan but most of his bad rep has come from the whole kit change thing and his overall eccentricity. But he hasn't been a disastrous owner in the sense that Cardiff now aren't really in any worse a position to when he took over, on the face of it.

Apologies if my point came across as xenophobic or racist wasn't my intention at all. What is of concern to me was his tweet regarding the Israeli company with English interests and Chinese money. I'm all for a (complete) Chinese takeover it's a no brainer really but I just shudder at the thought of a consortium unless it's Dalian Wanda & Alibaba.

No worries, it was a general point rather than aimed at you in particular. It'd be mightily OTT to interpret the stereotyping of owners as 'racist' anyhow (not that I'm saying you did). Most people do it to an extent. Same way that if we were linked with a Saudi sheikh, there would be the general assumption that he must be "loaded" etc.

Edited by Isa

Well according to Tom Fox Lerner is going nowhere soon. Excellent news.

It just read as the standard type of deflection to me. Nobody at the club will be acknowledging any possible takeover during the season, especially with us focusing firmly on survival. It's the same as when it's put to Sherwood and he responds with "every club is up for sale for the right price" even though unlike other clubs, we have been officially placed up for sale.

• Like 1

It seems to stem from the fiasco involving our hilariously ill-fated neighbours but the signs in relation to Carson Yeung were always ominous regardless of where he came from. I remember that takeover was delayed for about a year because he continually failed to scrape together the funds to purchase the club. I think that was prior to the introduction of the 'fit and proper' ownership criteria also, so cowboys of his ilk would no longer be permitted to complete a takeover.

The other name that is referenced is Vincent Tan but most of his bad rep has come from the whole kit change thing and his overall eccentricity. But he hasn't been a disastrous owner in the sense that Cardiff now aren't really in any worse a position to when he took over, on the face of it.

No worries, it was a general point rather than aimed at you in particular. It'd be mightily OTT to interpret the stereotyping of owners as 'racist' anyhow (not that I'm saying you did). Most people do it to an extent. Same way that if we were linked with a Saudi sheikh, there would be the general assumption that he must be "loaded" etc.

Considering Blackburn were a completely stable mid table premier league club for 10 years the Venkys takeover up there has been pretty disastrous. 

Considering Blackburn were a completely stable mid table premier league club for 10 years the Venkys takeover up there has been pretty disastrous.

Yes?

Sorry I only saw the post above and couldn't see their name. If we're talking about dodgy Asian owners as I assume they'd be number one for me as the Blackburn relegation was completely of their making, sacking Big Sam after about a week and appointing and then sticking with the hapless Steve Kean for the whole of the next season.

Tan and Yeung have not been good at all but at least Tan contributed to Cardiff actually getting promoted into the premier league while Small Heath won a major trophy under his ownership although it's been hilarious ever since.

Well according to Tom Fox Lerner is going nowhere soon. Excellent news.

It just read as the standard type of deflection to me. Nobody at the club will be acknowledging any possible takeover during the season, especially with us focusing firmly on survival. It's the same as when it's put to Sherwood and he responds with "every club is up for sale for the right price" even though unlike other clubs, we have been officially placed up for sale.

I hope so.

The piece is pretty interesting, the timing too.

For what it's worth I still don't mind if Lerner stays (I do think he is off though probably in the summer or next) but think going forward whatever happens I'd quite like Tom Fox to stay.

Comes across very well and seems much more affable over Faulkner.

Sorry I only saw the post above and couldn't see their name. If we're talking about dodgy Asian owners as I assume they'd be number one for me as the Blackburn relegation was completely of their making, sacking Big Sam after about a week and appointing and then sticking with the hapless Steve Kean for the whole of the next season.

Oh right. Yeah, I was referring only to Chinese (Oriental) owners really and Yeung and Tan are tge names that always pop up when skepticism over ownership from that part of the world arises.

I'll admit, it unsettles me, because the language and culture are so completely foreign, it's pure guesswork as to how they might run Villa. Russians and Arabs understand football, in China, football barely registers on the scene. A Yank like Lerner who spent years in England and speaks the language, can at least appreciate the tradition and splendor of a club like Villa, and despite his failings, has always honored the club in this regard. I worry about people who may not appreciate what they've got, especially if they'd be perfectly content buying West Brom.

If he stays i think its a good thing. There is no way noone has fielded an offer to Randy.. maybe it means hes just trying to pick the right owner for the club the way Douglas did. Not just accept the first offer that comes in and bring in a Venkys.

It may also mean Fox/Sherwood/Fa Cup success this season has re-energised his interest again and may want to stay.

It may also mean noone wants to buy the club but lets ignore that fact as that cant be true. :D

Edited by KSV

There are positives at the club now such as Fox & Sherwood and with a FA Cup Final to look forward to as well as another season in the top flight (when that is secured) our stock is high. The delay in our sale may be due to our current ongoing threat of relegation or to Randy either looking for the right owner or the right price for us. I doubt he has had a change of heart about selling us but we appear to be in a better position now than when he made the decision to go and that should attract the right sort of buyers at the right price one day.   

Â