Should females take the name of her future husband??

nrogers

Should Women take the name of her Spouse  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Should Women take the name of her Spouse

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Care

only if you want your children to have the same surname as both of their parents, and only if you have any value for the tradition of marriage.

Otherwise don't get married.

We never even bothered getting married, whats the point? Piece of paper, a few toasters and a bloody expensive party where there will no doubt be a fight - can't see the point in it, I'm not that insecure

And on the topic in hand, even if we did eventually find a reason to get married (the tax break isn't significant enough to turn a profit these days) there's no way I'm getting the missus to change her name, in fact I'd insist she keeps her own name just for the hilarity of it. Her name is Winifred (always shortened to Wyn) Mills. Sorry but she'll have to live with that one for life :lol:

And on a serious note, why would you insist on your spouse changing her name, to me that kind of implies some kind of male dominated ownership of the woman - bit old fashioned in this day and age if you ask me.

Bit of a sore subject. My wife INSISTS on using her old surname in a double barralled form with my surname for her work as "they all know me with the old name". :mad:

The answer is, if she wants to.

I cant think of a real reason why she wouldnt, unless you were called Joe Tosser or something.

The real question is, should you share your bank account with your partner, or have seperate accounts too?

The real question is, should you share your bank account with your partner, or have seperate accounts too?

SEPERATE ACCOUNTS!!!!! Those shoes are bloody expensive! :wink:

Well... my surname is Niblett... it's a hindrance to me getting married.

So when I get married, I'd imagine she'll probably keep her own name.

I'm with bicks on the "bit old-fashioned" and "smacks of male ownership of the woman" arguments

Tradition? Bah!

• 5 years later...
Â