The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

He's had more than seven games. For good or bad, last season can't just be ignored just because he didn't sign any of the players.

You are right. Last season shouldn't be ignored. Lets remember he saved us from the worst football ever seen in most of our memories and got us to a cup final.

I think for that alone he deserves more then 7 league games with his new signings. 

• Like 4

He clearly deserves longer, now Gana and Traore are fit they should make a big difference.  He has to use Gil more though, his lack of action is worrying me as much as the general lack of tactical nous on show from Sherwood.  There does have to be a cut off at some stage but I think we are getting ahead of ourselves a bit here,

Let's put a bit of logic in here. He has to do better than Lambert otherwise there was no point in appointing him. If he does then he stays if he doesn't then he goes. Quite simple really.

I fully agree. However it is too early to judge at the moment

He's had more than seven games. For good or bad, last season can't just be ignored just because he didn't sign any of the players.

You are right. Last season shouldn't be ignored. Lets remember he saved us from the worst football ever seen in most of our memories and got us to a cup final.

I think for that alone he deserves more then 7 league games with his new signings. 

He started badly with us then got a few wins against teams who had nothing to play for before presiding over an absolutely atrocious end to the season which culminated in us being thrashed and humiliated in the cup final. If I was in charge, I personally would have thanked him sincerely for his contribution at the end of the season and parted ways.

• Like 1

If we are in the bottom 3 by the new year then I think it's time to panic.  I still think as an overall team we look better than last year but I also think nearly every team in the league has improved too. 

We can keep chopping and changing managers but until there is serious investment in the club we will always be in a relegation scrap regardless of who is in charge.

He started badly with us then got a few wins against teams who had nothing to play for before presiding over an absolutely atrocious end to the season which culminated in us being thrashed and humiliated in the cup final. If I was in charge, I personally would have thanked him sincerely for his contribution at the end of the season and parted ways.

Utter revisionist tripe.

So his wins were against teams that had nothing to play for? Convenient that! Lets downplay his wins but slag off his defeats as it fits in with your flawed argument. There were some good wins (WBA x2, Liverpool in the semi, Spurs, Sunderland as well as 2 high pressure home games against West Ham and Everton where we were desperate for the win) and yes, there were some poor games (Southampton, Arsenal up Final, Swansea as well as his first 2 games). The Burnley defeat was irrelevant as we had nothing to play for (see, works both ways!) and we played very well in the defeat at City. Overall it was a decent return considering the state we was in when he took over - a team devoid of confidence and goals.

I haven't really slagged of 'his wins' just saying we were helped in the league, too a huge extent, by the fact that we played teams towards the end of the season who had nothing to play for. In the last 11 games in the league, we've won one game. That's just not good enough.

We've won 3 in the last 11 in the league. 

I don't disagree about things needing to improve. I disagree in that you think he should go now

Edited by Xela
  • Like 1

Lambert out stayed his welcome, but I can least sympathise with the overall quality of our squad under him, even if he was a good degree responsible for that. But when Sherwood came in we started playing a brand of attacking football that I didn't believe the same group of players was capable of. But it seemed 50% down to Tim's positivity and 50% down to the pressure of the situation, our players have for years now had to perform when it matters most and yet the rest of the season look like they are going through the motions.

Tim has a much better squad than Lambert had, despite Vlaar, Delph and Benteke leaving. He does deserve till January to show what he is capable of, but the fact is if we carry on the way we are we will be bottom and adrift if Tim doesn't start to work out what his best 11 is and stops relying on Westwood, Gabby and Lescott to get us results.

I strongly believe that a team that features at least three of: Gil, Grealish, Vertout, Ayew and Traore - should be enough to compete with anyone outside the top 6.

Edited by VillanousOne
  • Like 1

Alright then one in the last 9, if it's one in 10 come this time next week, then I think we might see some movement.

You must be tired, moving the goalposts all the time. :P

I don't think the board will be that rash but things need to improve, and reasonably quickly. I think they will :)

• Like 1

I haven't moved any goalposts.

If we hopefully beat Stoke then I think it will buy him a bit more time, but there's a lot of pressure on that game and the Swansea game, probably our two easiest games, on paper, until Watford at the end of next month. If we don't get a few shock wins in the coming weeks then we'll be cut adrift and the board will have no choice but to make a change.

• Like 1

The most disappointing aspect of this thread is the personal abuse that has been dished out about Sherwood. It wasn't right with Lambert and it's not right now.

Says more about the person posting I think. 

I love football but unfortunately it does attract a lot of idiots.

• Like 2

We will be in the bottom 3 after 19 games and it will be to late. I hope I'm wrong but we have only won 6 games since TS took over, he is tactically inept . I'm all for giving him more time but to what end. I have very little confidence this situation will change. Very tough fixtures coming up let's hope he can decide a formation style of play and his best 11 . The leauge is very competitive even at the bottom end where we are competing we have to pick up points. I agree  we have to give the players time but how long do you give a. Manager totally out of his depth!

• Like 2

From what I can tell from this thread, it is only split into those that think Sherwood can turn things around, and those that can't see him doing that. 

I haven't really seen anyone saying he's actually doing a good job at this moment in time. 

So it's a matter of whether you've had your tollarence or patience destroyed by the previous regimes or not. 

• Like 3

Some people want Sherwood to stay, some people want him to go, some are unsure.

Whatever category you are in, I accept your thoughts on it. I might not agree but I am not going to change your mind. 

All I want is for our club to be competitive and I feel let down by Sherwood who promised we would be. He has said himself that even if we don't sign anybody we wouldn't be in the position we were last season, well currently we are and with fixtures against Stoke, Chelsea, Swansea, Southampton, Spurs, Man City, Everton and Watford, things do not look good for us - especially as we don't pick up points against some of those mentioned above and the manager doesn't seem to know who he is sending out and what they should be doing. For a manager who said 'even if we don't make any signings....' this worries me greatly that he actually doesn't know what to do. 

Mostly, I am just fed up with the fact the team doesn't look like it has a clue. If we were seeing progression i'd be cool about losing, but we just seem to be too defensive, with too much focus on negative football and with no fluidity on the pitch.

Edited by DK82
  • Like 2

Â