Jimmy vs Shaun - Who would you sign?

Grant(aka_eddy)

Who would you sign for £10 Million?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you sign for £10 Million?

• Milner
    • SWP

Right then, I know that there are many James Milner fans on this site along with all the Wee Shauny II fans.

However given that SWP will cost us £10 million (if the reports in the media are true) then i cant help but think Milner would be the better option, possibly a few million cheaper too. This is just for fun mind, i dont think we are even in for Milner.

The case for Milner:

Jimmy is 21 years old, Newcastles player of the year last year (dont know if that's official mind) and our player of the season the year before that. So there is plenty to be optimistic about his potential.

Strengths - He is strong, hard-working, creative, versatile and consistent.

Weaknesses - Well it used to be his acne but now there's very little you can say, he really is quite a solid all-rounder. Perhaps his crossing isnt as good as it should be.

Wee Shauny II is 25 and will be leaving Chelsea shortly after 2 seasons with very little on-field action. It would be fair to say his career has gone backwards in this period and he is no longer young enough to be have unrealised 'potential'.

Strengths - He undoubtedly has that little bit of something extra, when on form he can create a goal or an assist in the blink of an eye and really punish teams. He is very quick and skillful and once he gets on top of a full-back during a game he is the kind of player who can really humiliate them.

Weaknesses - His lack of action and ability to adjust to the highest level is a worry. His consistency is also not the greatest but for me his major downfall is that he is too small and lightweight to win the ball very often, is often knocked off play and can constantly leak posession whn he isnt on form.

Conclusion - For similar amounts of money i'd take Milner every time. It is easy to overlook him and it almost seems SWP is till 19 with bags of potential but the truth is that Milner is the player in the ascendency. He may only ever be 95% of the player SWP is but SWP only turns up every other week.

I will always rate him after I watched him rip us apart when he played for Citeh, at VP - I think he would it would be a big boost for both us and him; which would see him assimilate well and provide us with some magic.

Neither, anymore. Milner if pushed.

Ashley Y is more like SWP - we don't need 2 of 'em, and JM is maybe not the ideal, but he could fill the right side quite well, though not for 10 million.

SWP easily

Milner is a hard worker who gives his all, but he will never have the quality to be an England regular

An SWP with confidence blows Milner out of the water easily and i'll be delighted if he signs.

I'd be happy if Milner signed but to me he only has a limited ability, he will never play for a top club and will never regularly play for England. If he had pace that would be a different story but he doesn't have that vital pace that a winger needs, unless they are very clever players which Milner isn't.

I hate that people judge SWP on his Chelsea career even though he has rarely had regular football, but has still managed to show quality now and again i.e against West Ham. At Man City he was brilliant (just ask Man City fans, they idolise him), and if he regained that form then he would be the first name on our teamsheet. I honestly believe MON could get that top form out of him and would put him back in the England first 11.

I'd like us to sign 'em both :D

SWP, as Sir Blandy has pointed out, is in a similar vein to Young. However, I'd still say SWP has enough talent about him to do a very good job for us. In addition, I thought he was playing very well towards the end of the season when he had a proper run and got his confidence back. I could see him & Young working together, especially in games at home where someone like Wigan will just come to VP and stick 10 men behind the ball. I'm still hopeful SWP will sign.

Milner, I just can't help but like, cause the sumbitch just never stops running :)

Good player, and I was very annoyed - still am - about his transfer to us falling through. Not just cause of how it happened, but also because I believe he could be an asset to us.

Generally the best player for Newcastle last season, and is very versatile; for example I don't think many people realise how good a central midfielder he is, certainly in a 4-5-1/4-3-3 kind of formation anyway.

Unfortunately though, I am 99% certain the Milner deal will never be revitalised, or at least in the short term. Oh well.

SWP is a much better player in my eyes, he just needs games and stability. He hasn't gotten it at Chelsea.

Imagine being thrown into the pitch and you have to perform or else Joe Cole or Arjen Robben are going to kick you out for two months.

Hopeless scenario, even if he plays good (which he did recently) he is benched the next day for some reason.

SWP, as Sir Blandy has pointed out, is in a similar vein to Young. However, I'd still say SWP has enough talent about him to do a very good job for us. In addition, I thought he was playing very well towards the end of the season when he had a proper run and got his confidence back. I could see him & Young working together, especially in games at home where someone like Wigan will just come to VP and stick 10 men behind the ball. I'm still hopeful SWP will sign.

I meant to make that point that Blandy picked up on, about him being similar to Young. You could argue that having two of these pacy tricky wingers is great as you have cover or could use both with Young on the left.

But for £10 million i prefer the idea of a different option in Milner rather than another player who's so similar.

For example against many clubs you might struggle to justify Young and SWP in the starting line up unless you have only 1 up front.

And Sam100, i dont think you can help but judge SWP on his Chelsea time. Or at least consider it as a factor. Why didnt he get much game time, why didnt he do much, why 17 months for first league goal, why sold for an £11 million loss etc. They're not the defining judgements of course and it doesnt mean he cant get back to Man City days but those question marks should not be disregarded imo.

I would hope if O'Neill does buy him that he can get him back to his best again but whereas Milner seems like a safe investment, SWP feels like a big gamble.

• 2 years later...
Milner was never worth 10m when this was started to be fair.

Last season he didn't look a 12m player tbh.

And this season he's been worth every penny. I doubted Milner and MON for this one, but I'm glad to have been proved wrong.

Â