Premier League rights sell for £5.136 billion

Avfc96

I know anger about ticket prices has been around for ages, but it does really feel like it's building a lot more lately.

To be honest the clubs that sell out their ground (e.g. man united) can't reduce tickets prices as it would just become a touts paradise. It's the clubs who don't sell out who should be reducing prices as part of this TV deal. Also the gouging of away fans should be stopped. The premier league need to realise that they are pricing the atmosphere out of football. It's happened already where there's zero atmosphere because only rich middle aged men and tourists can afford the tickets and they just sit there waiting to be entertained. 

• 2 years later...

Little change in the domestic rights revenue in the new deal (depending on last 2 packages sold) - and certainly PPG (price per game :P) will decrease as the number of matches broadcast increases to 200 from 168.

Premier League TV rights: Five of seven live packages sold for £4.464bn (BBC):

The rights to show Premier League games from 2019-2022 have been sold for £4.464bn - with two live packages still to be sold.

Sky Sports have won the rights to four tranches - 128 live matches - while BT Sport have one, comprising 32 games.

The Premier League's last deal, agreed in 2015 and running until 2019, was worth £5.14bn.

"To have achieved this investment with two packages remaining to sell is testament to the excellent football competition delivered by the clubs," executive chairman Richard Scudamore said.

Sky will have first choice of every weekend match and will also show Saturday night fixtures (19:45) for the first time.

BT will show Saturday lunchtime fixtures from August 2019 and have said they will pay £295m per season - £9.22m per match, up from £7.6m - across the three years.

That means Sky have committed to £3.579bn - or £9.3m per game, down from £10.8m in the current deal.

In 2015, Sky handed over £4.176bn for 126 fixtures each season - including the first Friday evening games and both Sunday packages - and BT paid a total of £960m for 42 matches.

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

Little change in the domestic rights revenue in the new deal (depending on last 2 packages sold) - and certainly PPG (price per game :P) will decrease as the number of matches broadcast increases to 200 from 168.

Premier League TV rights: Five of seven live packages sold for £4.464bn (BBC):

They are expecting a big increase in overseas rights, overall this new deal will be worth more than the last one.

Aren't the last 2 packages multi-cast agreements, or something to that effect?

From my limited understanding it basically means you buy every game on a given day/night and can show them all simultaneously.

I assume this for selected rounds of games though rather than for the entire season right?

On 10/02/2015 at 17:32, Jimzk5 said:

Also no surprise sky got a majority of the packages, bt spunked a lot of money on acquiring exclusive coverage on the champions league which I think will come back to haunt them because in all honesty, unless Villa are playing in the CL, I ain't paying £20 a month to see basel v besiktas and I doubt 90% of other clubs fans would either.

I don't remember the last time I watched a champions league game. I wouldn't pay 10p a month for it. 

Â