Premier League rights sell for £5.136 billion

Avfc96

Listening to talksport earlier they estimated that in 2017 the team bottom of the league would get £100million in tv money alone based on the packages selling for £4.4billion overall, with them selling for more its feasible for the the team to finish bottom will get £105million. Enough to get you easily into the delloite top 20 earning teams in Europe.

These figures are utterly incredible.

The bubble needs to burst.

Wages of 100k plus will become the norm even among the teams near the bottom of the end of the table. 

If by "norm" you mean average then that's utter rubbish. Current average wage is £30,000 and current TV rights earnings are £60m (assumed figures) so you're expecting a 200%+ increase in wages because of a 60%+ increase in TV revenue?

Eye-watering amounts of money. Maybe it the years watching deeply average football with Villa but I can't understand why so many people watch the league- the standard is really not that good.This increasingly reduces the regular going fans importance to clubs, it will result in more very mediocre players getting paid stupid amounts of money to be not very entertaining, and ticket prices will also certainly go up. Oh and more matches on TV and hello Friday evening matches.

Great.

Edited by The Fun Factory

it will result in more very mediocre players getting paid stupid amounts of money to be not very entertaining, and ticket prices will also certainly go up. 

It also means that the most under-performing mediocre players will be impossible to move on (known to me as "Arsenal Syndrome") until their contracts run out. This will be to the great detriment of most clubs as anyone who thinks this additional money will not be blown on increased salaries is deluded, and certainly no student of football economics.

I don't agree about ticket prices though, a lesser reliance on gate receipts should mean the prices go down.

it just depresses me. Great if you are a player or agent but as a fan, it will just widen the already massive chasm between us and the player. I can't relate on any level to a footballer any more. I don't blame them, if I could earn £75k a week by being bang average at my job then I would jump at the chance!

I'd love for the bubble to burst on football. 

Might be rose tinted spectacles but the quality of football seems to decrease year on year. 

Does it really widen the gap though? Many PL footballers are already paid more in a week than most people make in a year.

it just depresses me. Great if you are a player or agent but as a fan, it will just widen the already massive chasm between us and the player. I can't relate on any level to a footballer any more. I don't blame them, if I could earn £75k a week by being bang average at my job then I would jump at the chance!

I'd love for the bubble to burst on football. 

Might be rose tinted spectacles but the quality of football seems to decrease year on year. 

Does it really widen the gap though? Many PL footballers are already paid more in a week than most people make in a year.

Yeah you are right I guess, it was just me moaning! Indulge me!  :D

With all this money are Premier League teams getting any better relative to foreign teams or even lower league teams in this country.

I don't see this huge gulf in quality between the Prem and the lower leagues that the difference in TV rights suggests is there, the FA Cup this season has shown that.

They're all professional footballers training everyday, they can only get so good, doubling their wages every 5 years isn't going to improve the standard of football, it will just mean more clubs getting into financial difficulties when they get relegated.

Surely there has to be a breaking point. The cost of sky packages are already a piss take and assuming they'll go up again on the back of this deal I imagine a lot of people will start walking away.

I am someone who has had Sky for about 15 years, football and sport mad. I can afford the packages without a problem to the finances but its getting to the point where I really feel Sky are taking the piss out of me.

Its been slowly building but I am really thinking about knocking the whole thing on the head. This deal is another nail in that coffin.

Sickening amounts of money, its a shame the bubble shows no sign of bursting.

As has already been said, players and agents will get richer. More smaller clubs will go out of business trying, and failing to get into the 'bigtime'.

Edited by Genie

Shirley someone will buy us now.  :)

EDIT: If we stay up...

We might actually be more attractive to a buyer if we go down. We'll cost less, for starters, then there's the fact that this new money won't start til the following season, so they'll "only" miss out on the current pot, which will be helped with parachute payments. Then there's the fact that football league and premier league FFP are different. An owner could low-ball Lerner, pump a lot of money into the club while in the championship signing big name players and loaning them back out (as an extreme example) to come back in assuming we got promoted first time, and none of that spending would register on the PL's FFP scale

it will result in more very mediocre players getting paid stupid amounts of money to be not very entertaining, and ticket prices will also certainly go up. 

I don't agree about ticket prices though, a lesser reliance on gate receipts should mean the prices go down.

Not a **** chance. They'll keep going up until people stop attending.

Ticket prices will go up, TV subscriptions will go up, all so that the likes of Keiran Richardson and Tom Cleverley can be multi-millionaires by their early twenties.

• 2 weeks later...
Â