Weekends football FA Cup 4rh Round & Championship 24/25 January

andykeenan

People saying Bradford beating Chelsea is the biggest shock in FA Cup history. What a load of rubbish. Obviously it is a shock but never the biggest ever. 

People saying Bradford beating Chelsea is the biggest shock in FA Cup history. What a load of rubbish. Obviously it is a shock but never the biggest ever.

So what is, then?

So what is, then?

From my memory, Sutton United beating Coventry 2-1 in the late 80's (88 or 89). A non league team managed by a teacher made up of carpenters, plumbers, roofers, etc beating a top division team will always trump anything else.

Bradford's win was fantastic but they are a professional football team who have beaten top level teams before and very recently. Not trying to play down their achievement as it was wonderful. 

Non league Woking beating the baggies at the Hawthorns was a massive shock as well (1991?) as was bottom of the fourth division Wrexham beating league Champions Arsenal in 92. 

Before my time but my Dad always mentions non league Hereford beating Newcastle in the 70's as well

Good calls, all. But... I think the gap between the top clubs and the also rans is much bigger these days. That Newcastle side that lost to Hereford was good, but it wasn't packed with world class internationals the way the likes of Chelsea are today. Just look at the resources - any one of Chelsea's team would cost more than the entire Bradford squad. A LOT more, in fact.

Good calls, all. But... I think the gap between the top clubs and the also rans is much bigger these days. That Newcastle side that lost to Hereford was good, but it wasn't packed with world class internationals the way the likes of Chelsea are today. Just look at the resources - any one of Chelsea's team would cost more than the entire Bradford squad. A LOT more, in fact.

I think thats the whole point, Chelsea now compared to Coventry and Newcastle theres a world of difference. I guess Sunderland from the then 2nd division beating the great Leeds team in the 73 cup final is up there. 

Very true that there is a massive difference from Coventry of 89 and Newcastle of 73 to Chelsea of 2015... however there is also a huge difference between a fully professional Bradford team and the bunch of amateurs of Sutton and Hereford. Bradford's achievement was wonderful, as I have stated, i just think it isn't as impressive as a non league team beating a top division team.

Wrexham doing Arsenal in 92 is up there.  Arsenal had won the league (losing one game all season) the year before, Wrexham had finished 92nd in the league and avoided relegation because Aldershot went into liquidation that year and had been unable to enter a team in the 91/92 season. 

Its all down to personal opinion really, we've all seen the coverage of Hereford knocking out Newcastle but i have no connection to that era of football cus it happened before i was born, i was only 6 when Wrexham knocked out arsenal so have no memory of that and yeah there has been lots of mental results that i can remember (unfortunately many involving Aston villa) that Chelsea defeat for me is the biggest shock in the FA cup i can remember. A team assembled for £140million knocked out by a team that cost £750k.

Well my football memories DO go back to the 1960s, and I love to go on about how much more enoyable it was before the Premier League, etc., etc. But I do think that Bradford yesterday is at least a strong contender for the biggest FA Cup upset ever.

• Like 1

Â