Carles Gil

bose

5 hours ago, sexbelowsound said:

We didn't sell Albrighton, we released him because he was still on a MON era contract.

Sold or released, we allowed him to leave.

"Leicester City's Marc Albrighton says he was shocked not to be offered a new contract at Aston Villa in 2014"

"It was a shock (to leave)," he said. I was led to believe I was getting a contract there.

I don't know whose decision it was - manager, chairman or the chief executive. At the time, they must have thought they could have got something better".

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11712/10246640/leicesters-marc-albrighton-reveals-villa-contract-snub

Davis was and still is bang average.

Davis is a quality player.

Underrated and a lot better than average. 

Vlaar wanted to leave, we didn't release him willingly.

Fair enough.

Instead I'll add signing Gestede. Failing to replace Benteke. Failing to replace Cleverly or Delph adequately when midfield was already a weak area then loaning out Gardner. Loaning Cissokho. Signing Richards and making him captain. Dropping Amavi in favour of Richardson. Excluding Gil and Kozak when they would have contributed significantly. I can go on...

Sam Allardyce being appointed would have kept us in the Premier League, possibly. I am however more than happy to be in the Championship if it means we can actually build something rather than hanging on every season.

Well I'm not happy being in the championship. Allardyce would have kept us in the premier league and we could have built from there. I don't believe for a second there are any advantages in dropping down a division. It will take a huge amount of work to get back and there are no guarantees.

I was a big fan of Gil but ultimately he just isn't up to it. Right move for all concerned. 

I think you'll be proven wrong and I couldn't disagree more.

Edited by Michael118

13 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

Sold or released, we allowed him to leave.

"Leicester City's Marc Albrighton says he was shocked not to be offered a new contract at Aston Villa in 2014"

"It was a shock (to leave)," he said. I was led to believe I was getting a contract there.

I don't know whose decision it was - manager, chairman or the chief executive. At the time, they must have thought they could have got something better".

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11712/10246640/leicesters-marc-albrighton-reveals-villa-contract-snub

Davis is a quality player.

Underrated and a lot better than average. 

Fair enough.

Instead I'll add signing Gestede. Failing to replace Benteke. Failing to replace Cleverly or Delph adequately when midfield was already a weak area then loaning out Gardner. Loaning Cissokho. Signing Richards and making him captain. Dropping Amavi in favour of Richardson. Excluding Gil and Kozak when they would have contributed significantly. I can go on...

Well I'm not happy being in the championship. Allardyce would have kept us in the premier league and we could have built from there. I don't believe for a second there are any advantages in dropping down a division. It will take a huge amount of work to get back and there are no guarantees.

I think you'll be proved wrong and I couldn't disagree more.

How am I going to be proven wrong? He will have to come back to England and play well for that to be the case and if he does I'll hold my hands up. 

Edited by sexbelowsound

Just now, sexbelowsound said:

How am I going to be proved wrong? He will have to come back to England and play well for that to be the case and if he does I'll hold my hands up. 

Well if he does come back to England I have no doubt the outcome would be a completely different one than what it was during his time with us.

2 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

Well if he does come back to England I have no doubt the outcome would be a completely different one than what it was during his time with us.

Good for you, I admire your faith. If it happens come back at me and take the piss as much as you like but until then I think this discussion is over?

8 hours ago, Michael118 said:

Loaning Gil and then signing Morrison will be up there with the most foolish decisions we've made alongside selling Albrighton, Cahill and Davis, releasing Vlaar and Senderos, appointing Tim Sherwood, Ray Wilkins, Remi Garde, Eric Black and Roberto Di Matteo and not appointing Sam Allardyce when we had the opportunity. I could go on and on and the worst thing is I saw every one turning out the way it did when it happened. We continue digging our own graves and it's excruciating witnessing it unfold.

facepalm.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Michael118 said:

Loaning Gil and then signing Morrison will be up there with the most foolish decisions we've made alongside selling Albrighton, Cahill and Davis, releasing Vlaar and Senderos, appointing Tim Sherwood, Ray Wilkins, Remi Garde, Eric Black and Roberto Di Matteo and not appointing Sam Allardyce when we had the opportunity. I could go on and on and the worst thing is I saw every one turning out the way it did when it happened. We continue digging our own graves and it's excruciating witnessing it unfold.

And over-reaction of the year goes to...

46 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

Fair enough.

What the hell does this have to do with letting a rubbish footballer leave the club this summer?

5 hours ago, sexbelowsound said:

We didn't sell Albrighton, we released him because he was still on a MON era contract. It would have been almost impossible to keep him. We would have had to break our wage structure.

I notice you added this. 

No, it wouldn't have been almost impossible to keep him. He comes across to me as someone with loyalty who wanted to remain a Villa player. He wasn't highly rated at the time and it wouldn't have taken much to offer him a deal he would have accepted.

Just now, Michael118 said:

I notice you added this. 

No, it wouldn't have been almost impossible to keep him. He comes across to me as someone with loyalty who wanted to remain a Villa player. He wasn't highly rated at the time and it wouldn't have taken much to offer him a deal he would have accepted.

Speculation. 

16 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

Speculation. 

MARC ALBRIGHTON wanted to be Aston Villa’s Steven Gerrard instead of watching
them get relegated.

The Leicester winger is on the brink of being crowned a Premier League champion and
showing Villa what they are missing by releasing him two years ago.

Albrighton, 26, would have been happy staying at Villa Park and admits getting
released was a massive shock.

He said: “You want to play for your boyhood club from when you are a kid all
the way through and be a Steven Gerrard-type player with just one club in
the Premier League for your whole career.

“That is your dream when you are growing up. But the reality is that doesn’t
happen very often nowadays.”

Albrighton has revealed the devastation of getting let go by the club he
loved.

He said: “It was a shock. I was led to believe I was getting a contract there.
I found out two days after the season finished that I wasn’t.

“That was definitely a shock. Luckily, my agent must have seen it coming or
whatever so he had other options for me.

“It’s football at the end of the day. Decisions are made, day-in day-out
at football clubs, and I was just another decision".

https://www.thesun.co.uk/archives/football/1131334/marc-albrighton-admits-he-wanted-to-stay-at-rock-bottom-aston-villa-throughout-his-career-but-has-to-settle-for-this-amazing-season-with-prem-leaders-leicester/

Edited by Michael118
  • Like 1

Just now, Michael118 said:

MARC ALBRIGHTON wanted to be Aston Villa’s Steven Gerrard instead of watching
them get relegated.

The Leicester winger is on the brink of being crowned a Premier League champion and
showing Villa what they are missing by releasing him two years ago.

Albrighton, 26, would have been happy staying at Villa Park and admits getting
released was a massive shock.

He said: “You want to play for your boyhood club from when you are a kid all
the way through and be a Steven Gerrard-type player with just one club in
the Premier League for your whole career.

“That is your dream when you are growing up. But the reality is that doesn’t
happen very often nowadays.”

Albrighton has revealed the devastation of getting let go by the club he
loved.

He said: “It was a shock. I was led to believe I was getting a contract there.
I found out two days after the season finished that I wasn’t.

“That was definitely a shock. Luckily, my agent must have seen it coming or
whatever so he had other options for me.

“It’s football at the end of the day. Decisions are made, day-in day-out
at football clubs, and I was just another decision".

https://www.thesun.co.uk/archives/football/1131334/marc-albrighton-admits-he-wanted-to-stay-at-rock-bottom-aston-villa-throughout-his-career-but-has-to-settle-for-this-amazing-season-with-prem-leaders-leicester/

Money talks. He may we have loved it here but whose to say that he would have dropped his wages to match the new structure?

Anyway, If you want to continue this @me in the Marc Albrighton thread because this is way off topic.

2 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

What the hell does this have to do with letting a rubbish footballer leave the club this summer?

They are further examples of some of the costly decisions we have made as a club over the past 12 months all of which I saw coming at the time they were being made.

2 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

They are further examples of some of the costly decisions we have made as a club over the past 12 months all of which I saw coming at the time they were being made.

I know, they were costly decisions. Letting top class talent like Benteke go for sure...and Delph too....but Gil?

Did we watch the same player?

6 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

You should have a job at a top club somewhere. 

Carles Gil was not good enough for us in the premier league. And now he doesn't want to be here, having his agent publicly say that he had no intention of playing in the championship this year. So what should the club have done?

Your other examples don't take into account the position the club was on when we let a lot of those players go. Davis for example, was not good enough to play week in week out for a team chasing the top 4, neither was Cahil at the time he wanted to be a regular player. 

Albrighton was a funny one, you could argue we shouldn't let his contact run down but once it did we couldn't match the wages Leicester would pay and he certainly wasn't looking like he would be worth it. 

I don't think I've ever seen someone so upset over such a nothing player as Gil. You must have been suicidal when we actually sold good players in the past. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I know, they were costly decisions. Letting top class talent like Benteke go for sure...and Delph too....but Gil?

Did we watch the same player?

There are so many examples of players who nobody rated at one club, they move to another and all of a sudden they transform into quality players. They were never poor players at the first club but for a variety of factors which are too many to mention their talent emerges at the new club because it was always there from the start under the surface or untapped. Marc Albrighton is one of those players and Carles Gil is another.

Â