New manager

reykjavik

If we think logically it won't be Sherwood. He doesn't fit our MO at all. He wants loads of cash, complete control over EVERYTHING and he's a prickly character at best.

Not happening. I might start laying him myself.

We don't fit his criteria either.

We're not in London, he won't be able to bring all his staff, we won't be able to pay him what he wants, his best mate Harry doesn't like us, we're probably considering people other than just him.

It's so unlikely to happen that it quite clearly will actually happen won't it?!

If we think logically it won't be Sherwood. He doesn't fit our MO at all. He wants loads of cash, complete control over EVERYTHING and he's a prickly character at best.

Be careful laying prickly characters.....

I don't have any problems with big Sam, but I also don't see his particular set of skills as the ones needed to get Villa going, especially our horrible forwards situation. I wish we could get someone who is a good organizer like Sam apparently is but also more into athletic discipline and able to "parent" and inspire his squad -- like Pulis, actually.

Bryan Mills is the man then

Good luck!

• Like 2

We don't fit his criteria either.

We're not in London, he won't be able to bring all his staff, we won't be able to pay him what he wants, his best mate Harry doesn't like us, we're probably considering people other than just him.

It's so unlikely to happen that it quite clearly will actually happen won't it?!

Ha! Indeed.

No, I think this one is a no go. I don't know why he has been at 2 of our games recently, possibly just coincidence. Or he has a mate who is a Villa fan. Who really knows. Possibly whoring himself as per the whole AVB thing. We won't fall for it for all the above mentioned reasons.

IMO.

I posted this in the Lambert thread but.....Aston Villa is fast becoming a graveyard for (young) promising managers - Little, Gregory, O'Leary, Lambert (you could even say MON and McLeish) - none of these have gone on to do anything much. We are no longer a stepping stone club for a manager (e.g. Pochetinno used Southampton as a stepping stone to a bigger club), instead we are a club that most managers with a decent reputation will want to avoid as it will probably destroy them. I'd love to have a manager who does so well with us that they then go on to be linked with jobs at "bigger" clubs or even the England national team. It would at least be a sign that we must be doing well. For this reason, someone like Sherwood, who has nothing to lose, is probably the best we can do.

If not Sherwood, then an experienced manager (i.e. not someone in their first job) who has some kind of affiliation with the club and wants to have a shot at it. The only names that spring to mind are Southgate and Grayson. I would probably take Grayson....I've always liked his teams and think he is our "type" of manager....

• Like 1

Well if Simeone's on the shortlist, why wouldn't Guardiola be?

We could get Guardiola with Simeone as assistant, then bring in someone like Mourinho to look after the u21s. That would work

My dream would be Lambert back as DOF with Guardiola as head coach. I know that's not going to happen, with Lambert just being sacked though and him probably wanting to have another crack at being Manager somewhere else. And as others have pointed out I'm sure Pep will stay at Bayern as well.

Edited by useless

I've got absolutely nothing to back this up but I did find it interesting Lambert kept harping on about possession past few months (after Fox came in) this coming from the same man that said he wasn't interested in stats/possession etc just at the start of this season.

To me it almost looked like he was told to play this way and change the style of play midway through the season, again I've got nothing to back this up but it's just a gut feeling.

• Like 3

I posted this in the Lambert thread but.....Aston Villa is fast becoming a graveyard for (young) promising managers - Little, Gregory, O'Leary, Lambert (you could even say MON and McLeish) - none of these have gone on to do anything much. We are no longer a stepping stone club for a manager (e.g. Pochetinno used Southampton as a stepping stone to a bigger club), instead we are a club that most managers with a decent reputation will want to avoid as it will probably destroy them. I'd love to have a manager who does so well with us that they then go on to be linked with jobs at "bigger" clubs or even the England national team. It would at least be a sign that we must be doing well. For this reason, someone like Sherwood, who has nothing to lose, is probably the best we can do.

If not Sherwood, then an experienced manager (i.e. not someone in their first job) who has some kind of affiliation with the club and wants to have a shot at it. The only names that spring to mind are Southgate and Grayson. I would probably take Grayson....I've always liked his teams and think he is our "type" of manager....

No, you really couldn't, for many different reasons.

Well if Simeone's on the shortlist, why wouldn't Guardiola be?

We could get Guardiola with Simeone as assistant, then bring in someone like Mourinho to look after the u21s. That would work

My dream would be Lambert back as DOF with Guardiola as head coach. I know that's not going to happen, with Lambert just being sacked though and him probably wanting to have another crack at being Manager somewhere else. And as others have pointed out I'm sure Pep will stay at Bayern as well.

I heard a rumour of Jude Branson as manager with Mourinho as DOF, bit left field but one for the future.

I think Mourinho would be wasted as a DOF needs to be in the dressing room with players. Would give everyone a massive lift but like Simeone and Guardiola it's unlikey, even more unlikey in fact.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1