What Song Are You Listening To Right Now?

Xann

7 minutes ago, blandy said:

You made me listen to this.  Not that it takes any persuading. Featuring Rory Delap, (is that the fellow?) and the Radioheads

Doesn't surprise me. Radiohead based their whole career on The Beta Band's B+A.

3 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

Doesn't surprise me. Radiohead based their whole career on The Beta Band's B+A

Steve Mason in particular is great, but I don’t think you’re right. The Bends was already released before the Beta band had written their first song, surely?  I always thought, in other words, it was the other way round.

• Like 1

Just now, blandy said:

Steve Mason in particular is great, but I don’t think you’re right. The Bends was already released before the Beta band had written their first song, surely?  I always thought, in other words, it was the other way round.

Was tongue in cheek but  Radiohead's stuff was quite poppy before Champion Verses . They didn't become huge until OK Computer / Kid A so let's say they based the wealthy part of their career on it then.😀

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

They didn't become huge until OK Computer / Kid A

The Bends is a 4x Platinum Album in the UK Kid A sold significantly less than the Bends (its only single platinum). Only OK Computer has sold more of any of their albums (in the UK)

• Like 1

I think I own the bends and pablo honey. They got too Radiohead for me after that. I did win a signed copy of OK Computer on the evening session, which brought in a nice penny or two some years later. 

Just now, bickster said:

The Bends is a 4x Platinum Album in the UK Kid A sold significantly less than the Bends (its only single platinum). Only OK Computer has sold more of any of their albums (in the UK)

The Bends has also been out the longest . How many copies of The Bends were sold post OK Computer compared to before ?  My point was that they never became huge stars until they changed their shtick. 

It was also tongue in cheek 

3 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

The Bends has also been out the longest . How many copies of The Bends were sold post OK Computer compared to before ?  My point was that they never became huge stars until they changed their shtick. 

It was also tongue in cheek 

Before OK Computer. A **** ton. It was huge. Lots of singles. 

After OK Computer. Some more but not even close to a **** ton. 

• Like 2

The Bends >>> OK Computer (with the caveat that I haven’t listened to either in quite some time)

Forgot about the backwards filming in “street spirit”. My go to backwards video is “the scientist” by everyone’s favourite Coldplay. Helped by a cameo by the lovely Elaine Cassidy.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, bickster said:

Oh I know that, it was also based on a falsehood

Which part is false out of curiosity ? Selling lots of albums in the UK doesn't make you huge IMO .

2 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

Which part is false out of curiosity ? Selling lots of albums in the UK doesn't make you huge IMO .

The Bends made them HUGE. The album was massive, it was almost impossible not to go somewhere that wasn't playing one of the many singles. It was the album where Radiohead went from the indie / niche interest band to a WOW who the f*** is this band and as time went on that year they became bigger and bigger with every single release. That album was absolutely everywhere, you couldn't avoid it

• Like 2

Just now, bickster said:

The Bends made them HUGE. The album was massive, it was almost impossible not to go somewhere that wasn't playing one of the many singles. It was the album where Radiohead went from the indie / niche interest band to a WOW who the f*** is this band and as time went on that year they became bigger and bigger with every single release. That album was absolutely everywhere, you couldn't avoid it

That was just the UK though.  It flopped on release in America for example.

I still maintain that their change in style took them to a different level worldwide.    Huge fish in a small pond is one thing . Selling out stadiums in Chile and Peru is another thing entirely.

Next time I'll just say this sounds a bit like that eh ? Just to avoid the tedium.

FWIW I have probably bought The Bends more times than any other CD over the years. I'd usually buy one from a service station bargain bin for £3 every time I had a new cab when I was a HGV driver.😀  I honestly think I have bought at least 10 copies post 2007.

Still sounds amazing after all this time.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Brumerican said:

FWIW I have probably bought The Bends more times than any other CD over the years. I'd usually buy one from a service station bargain bin for £3 every time I had a new cab when I was a HGV driver.😀  I honestly think I have bought at least 10 copies post 2007.

Still sounds amazing after all this time.

I am in no way a Radiohead fan. I didn’t get the stuff they made post The Bends but absolutely battered The Bends and Pablo Honey. The Bends was a phenomenal album. 

11 hours ago, Brumerican said:

I reckon they leapt up a level after Glastonbury in maybe ‘97. Didn’t they fill in for someone who dropped out? And they nailed it. Gave them a massive boost IIRC.

• Like 1

Â