What Song Are You Listening To Right Now?

Xann

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

I first have to define my terms. I distinguish 'prog' from 'progressive'. I consider progressive to cover the whole gamut of 'alternative' or 'underground' bands that came out of the mid-to-late 60s psychedelic scene. I include diverse styles in there, from the heavy to the folky, the jazzy to the bluesy, etc. By that token, I always considered Sabbath to be progressive. Prog I tend to apply to the bands that got going from about 1975 onwards, inspired by a subset of the progressive bands (Genesis, Yes, King Crimson, etc.)

Prog or not? :)

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

Porcupine Tree? Absolutely prog, 

Agreed, I've had the pleasure of seeing Steven Wilson close up before in a very intimate setting - what a talent that guy has. Another band that I think is prog that a lot of people disagree with me in is Pain of Salvation - it's quite melodic but still hits the spot for me.

5 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Agreed, I've had the pleasure of seeing Steven Wilson close up before in a very intimate setting - what a talent that guy has. Another band that I think is prog that a lot of people disagree with me in is Pain of Salvation - it's quite melodic but still hits the spot for me.

Not familiar with them, but I like that. Is it typical? From the name I would have expected metal, but that's more folk/classical sounding. 

EDIT: scratch that - I only listened to a bit. Second listen, and yes, they're metal. Not as good as Opeth, tbh. 

Edited by mjmooney

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Not familiar with them, but I like that. Is it typical? From the name I would have expected metal, but that's more folk/classical sounding. 

Yeah, very typical. Quite medieval-y, but really proggy imo. 

Another one worth looking at is Storm Corrosion. Mikael Akerfeldt from Opeth and Steven Wilson working together. If you like prog there's no two people currently active that produce better. Also epic video. I'm quite weak to Mikael's bluesy riffs though, each to their own.

Edited by magnkarl

My like for Steven Wilson is decreasing with each album. I absolutely love the early PT albums, but of his solo stuff, only Grace For Drowning hits the spot. The last three I've played a couple of times, and don't feel like going back to them. 

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Ah, now (unlike a LOT of Wilson fans) I absolutely LOVE Storm Corrosion. 

Agreed, I couldn't dislike anything Opethy though. It's probably my all time favourite studio band.

Another one worth looking at if you haven't heard of them is Riverside. I picked up their last album on vinyl in a really dodgy shop in Warsaw last year as an addon to a King Crimson vinyl that I had to get. Surprisingly good.

Forgive the end of the track. The whole album is a progressive rock concept album, so this track leads straight into the next. It's basically one 60 minute long song split into 11 tracks on the album. 

Even more prominent today than "yesterday"... say it Frank

I am gross and perverted
Im obsessed n deranged
I have existed for years
But very little had changed
I am the tool of the government
And industry too
For I am destined to rule
And regulate you

I may be vile and pernicious
But you can't look away
I make you think Im delicious