What Song Are You Listening To Right Now?

Xann

Eden's Children - 'Sure Looks Real'

Awww, c'mon. That's a great song.

Ha Ha Ha...

Listen to a lot of contemporary Country, hate it with a passion.

Why do you listen to it, then? :)

Warmed to some of the older characters: Hanks Williams & Snow, Flatt & Scruggs, Patsy Cline up to Jerry Reed and Bobby Gentry

The newer bunch :x

Toby Keith, Alan Jackson, Kenny Chesney, Sugarland, Lady Antebellum, Brad Paisley, Blake Shelton, Chris Young, Miranda 'Helium' Lambert, Keith Urban, Gretchen Wilson, Billy Currington & Rascal Flatts - SHAME

You're probably right - I've never knowingly heard a note by any of them, but I'm pretty sure I know what they'll sound like - slick, overproduced and corny. Not fit to lace the drinks of your first list.

Then you get the likes of Lyle Lovett, (sorry Levi :winkold:) Jimmy Buffett and Tom Russell who appear not to possess a single red blood cell between them.
This, I don't understand.

Lyle Lovett I like a lot, and is a million miles removed from the "hat acts" alluded to above.

Jimmy Buffett plain ain't country. He's a thing unto himself with that "tropical" schtick. I'm not a big fan, but then I don't consider him to be relevant to this discussion.

Russell is different again. TBH I've only just discovered him, but he's right up my street - in the same ballpark as John Stewart, Kris Kristofferson, Hoyt Axton, Butch Hancock, et al. - none of whom I would consider (as you suggest) anaemic in the slightest. How you could lump in a man who namechecks Conrad and Graham Greene, and uses African guitars and mariachi horns, etc., in with the Toby Keith lot is beyond me. He's Americana (hate the word, but it's useful here) - no coincidence that he's backed by the equally eclectic Calexico on his last album.

In the plus column: Alison Krauss & Union Station. Dan Tyminski from Union Station is Clooney's voice in 'O Brother' and plays a mean guitar/mandolin. Devon Sproule's 'Keep Your Silver Shined' is decent. You get the feeling that LeAnn Rimes could be quite good, if she could shake the homogenizing major label straitjacket. The Avett Brothers have transcended Country (to their credit and Country's great loss).
"The country stuff that it's OK to like"? :)

Anyway, how many red blood cells are there in some of the MOR/light music stuff that you post on here? Don't get me wrong, I like a lot of that stuff, too, but it's about as meaty as a Linda McCartney sausage!

Jesse Harper - 'Midnight Sun'

It's my job.

Then you get the likes of Lyle Lovett, Jimmy Buffett and Tom Russell... John Stewart, Kris Kristofferson, Hoyt Axton...

Yes, boring, yes. :winkold:

...Toby Keith...
A special case, like Ted Nugent.

...Butch Hancock...

Ok, ok, he's a nice character.

...Calexico...

Tolerable, girlfriend's a fan.

Now you're getting it, mein kinder! :lol:

Anyway, how many red blood cells are there in some of the MOR/light music stuff that you post on here?

None, but some of that's about shimmering strings, Coles microphones on the horns, dry cocktails and prescription sedatives. 8)

Jesse Harper - 'Midnight Sun'

It's my job.

Then you get the likes of Lyle Lovett, Jimmy Buffett and Tom Russell... John Stewart, Kris Kristofferson, Hoyt Axton...

Yes, boring, yes. :winkold:

...Toby Keith...
A special case, like Ted Nugent.

...Butch Hancock...

Ok, ok, he's a nice character.

...Calexico...

Tolerable, girlfriend's a fan.

Now you're getting it, mein kinder! :lol:

Anyway, how many red blood cells are there in some of the MOR/light music stuff that you post on here?

None, but some of that's about shimmering strings, Coles microphones on the horns, dry cocktails and prescription sedatives. 8)

Exactly. It's just down to taste - and the main reason I haven't so far returned your kind favour of compilation albums. Because I would be likely to put on lots of Tom Russell type stuff and I knew you wouldn't like it.

Jimmy Buffett plain ain't country. He's a thing unto himself with that "tropical" schtick. I'm not a big fan, but then I don't consider him to be relevant to this discussion.

He wasn't, then he was, then he wasn't, then he was, then he wasn't, then he was (though the "was" periods often only last one album).

Though in terms of peak chart position, most of his albums chart higher on the country chart than the overall chart.

;)

Just perfect for right now - thanks for this one, not something I'd have picked out myself.

Glad you liked it, OBE. You should look into the album James Brown's Funky Divas...it's a treasure trove of early 70's female funk, all backed by the JB's.

Â