What Song Are You Listening To Right Now?

Xann

The Black Dahlia Murder - What A Horrible Night To Have A Curse

One of the bands I missed out on by not attending Download Festival this weekend. One of the few good bands there this year.

Viva La Vida - the new Coldplay album. Impressed so far.

I've listened to the album a few times now and think it's shit. But I'm biased as I hate Chris Martin with a passion.

Strawberry Wine - Ryan Adams

Regardless of what i think of Chris Martin, Coldplay do make good music in my opinion. Very good album.

Jimmy Buffett's cover of USS Zydecoldsmobile

You can feel the horses under the hood

Through thick and thin, pull us out of the wood

She's the smoothest ride you'll ever feel

She's the delta slide of automobiles

Double clutchin' on the back seat

I hear you yell with your main squeeze

Playin' triple-row accordion fills

In the USS Zydecoldsmobile

Port of call Opelousas

Port of call Lawtell

Port of call Frilot Cove

In the USS Zydecoldsmobile

Mardi Gras run, block the road,

Park the car, and join the show

Get up on the trunk and dance as well

Aboard the USS Zydecoldsmobile

Yeah, spirit moves through everyone

We have faith and we have fun

God bless the turning wheel

Of my USS Zydecoldsmobile

The song was originally done by Sonny Landreth, who is probably the greatest slide guitar player ever, and has been acclaimed by Eric Clapton as "the most underestimated musician on the planet". Landreth's most recent album features him playing guitar duets with Clapton, Eric Johnson, Mark Knopfler, and Robben Ford.

Landreth describes the song thusly:

After driving a small car for years, my friends were impressed when I inherited my parents’ old ’82 Oldsmobile 98 – 'It’s as big as a boat!' We’d pile in and run the roads to dance halls and zydeco clubs in places like Opelousas, Lawtell, Frilot Cove and Dog Hill. Once, at the end of a long night, I was digging for my keys and almost got into the wrong car. When I stepped back out onto the road, I could see a whole fleet of zydecoldsmobiles lined up and parked along Highway 90. A car that size won’t stretch your gas mileage, but at least you can dance on the trunk.

One of my favorite songs of all time, and it's another aspect of how 1982 would prove to be an important year in my life...

800px-1977-79_Oldsmobile_98.jpg

Â