Baseball Hot Stove

maqroll

1 minute ago, kurtsimonw said:

What difference does water make?

The Red Sox flying to London is a quicker journey than the Marlins flying to play the Mariners. I get that it's more of an outlier, but still.

There's also the very significant loss of the home game(s) for one of the teams. In our case, we'll have lost a home stand against our arch rival. Granted, it's just three out of 162, but still. And if you're a NFL fan with a season ticket, you're shit out of luck if your team is the "home" team in London.

And like I said, go crazy with pre season games in Timbuktu for all I care. 

I bet Villa fans would not be too thrilled about giving up a home game so the team can fly to Arizona for a regular season match.

• Like 2

I don't agree with it and the reason being your last point. But I think it's pretty black and white and teams should just play at home, playing in Canada/Mexico is still as bad as playing in London IMO.

I think I’m more happy about the fact that this circus is over than I am about the fact we won both games. I hope this is never repeated. I hated it. 

I wasn't going to go to this but got a ticket at late notice. I was at the Saturday game but had to leave early to catch the last train home. It went on for so long I had the leave in the middle of the fourth but by then I'd had enough anyway. The game was a farce although I'm sure for people who went for the "experience" it was great. The field was way too small and it was clear the pitchers were struggling for whatever reason. It felt like an exhibition game. I've tried to explain to people that wasn't normal baseball but they just see the hits and the runs. 

I doubt very much I'll bother going again unless The Mets are involved.

On the plus side it was great seeing lots of UK based baseball fans who'd never had the chance to see a game before having the chance. Shame it turned out to be such a farce.

Angels starting pitcher Tyler skaggs was found dead in his hotel room,he was 27,this is the second tragedy to hit the Angels starting pitching,the first being the death of Nick Adenhart who was killed when his car was struck by another vehicle driven by a drunk driver who ran the red light.Very sad,RIP Tyler.

• Sad 1

On 30/06/2019 at 18:23, maqroll said:

There's also the very significant loss of the home game(s) for one of the teams. In our case, we'll have lost a home stand against our arch rival. Granted, it's just three out of 162, but still. And if you're a NFL fan with a season ticket, you're shit out of luck if your team is the "home" team in London.

And like I said, go crazy with pre season games in Timbuktu for all I care. 

I bet Villa fans would not be too thrilled about giving up a home game so the team can fly to Arizona for a regular season match.

The issue of losing a home game isn't really that important when it's 3 out of 162. Also it has to be a game that matters, nobody cares about pre-season. The stadium occupancy rates at typical MLB regular season games (for most teams) means that the fans can still attend games easily any time they want, there are no sell outs every week (for most teams).  

The issue for me is that there are no purpose built stadiums for baseball in europe which really affects both the game and the fan experience. Also baseball is a niche sport, whereas NFL is hugely popular. I can't ever see baseball becoming anything more than that in Europe. Baseball is an acquired taste, and let's call a spade a spade, for most people it's an extremely boring, long winded sport. 

Edited by villa89

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, rjw63 said:

What was that brawl all about in the Cincinatti-Pittsburgh game?

It was pretty tame as baseball fights go but you have to tip your cap to Garrett for flying into an entire bullpen on his own.

Straight up lunatic.

Â