Baseball Hot Stove

maqroll

Apparently we aren't as well off in prospects as everyone thought. And now we're 4 prospects poorer. 

Looks like Bradley Jr. will probably be traded, cuz Betts is the better overall player. 

Unfortunately, we are saddled with two massive contracts in deteriorating players (Ramirez, Sandoval)

If we keep Hanley, he's probably gonna play 1B, then take over for Ortiz as DH in 2017 (He announced today that '16 will be his last)

We also have two good catchers in Swihart and Vasquez, so one will almost certainly be traded.

It's a mess though, and just shows how good Theo Epstein is.

Edited by maqroll

Who wouldn't want Sale? You'd have to completely gut the farm, though. 

I'm kind of hoping for the Yanks not to do very much this off season, and I hope they stay well clear of big money FAs until Bryce Harper is eligable. Trade Brett Gardner + (non top 5) prospects for a starting pitcher, get younger and wait until the bad contracts (CC, A-rod, Tex, Beltran) run out. I like the one significant(-ish) trade we've made so far, sending C JR Murphy to MIN for OF Aaron Hicks. I like JR a lot but he's not going to take Brian McCann's job and Gary Sanchez has more upside, while Hicks mashes lefties, is supposed to be a plus defender with plus speed and gives us trade flexibility. 

To get Sale, they'll want more than just prospects. They'll want either Betts or Boegarts and probably one of our catchers... Betts would be the more likely than Xander to go, cuz we have Bradley Jr. 

1 hour ago, kurtsimonw said:

If my GM traded Betts because they have JBjr I'd be furious. The other way around, sure.

It's all about who you'd be getting in return though. Sale is young, a lefty, and dominant. And our ace is Rick Porcello, FFS.

And don't write off Jackie just yet, he's a brilliant defensive player and he started pounding the ball the final 3rd of the season. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not so sure. It reminds me a lot of CC's first contract with the Yankees. 

If Price is performing well enough to want to use his opt out, do you trust leadership not to move heaven and earth to keep their biggest attraction? 

Alledgedly, you paid a LOT more than the runners up (STL) were willing to do. 

8 hours ago, Michelsen said:

I'm not so sure. It reminds me a lot of CC's first contract with the Yankees. 

If Price is performing well enough to want to use his opt out, do you trust leadership not to move heaven and earth to keep their biggest attraction? 

Alledgedly, you paid a LOT more than the runners up (STL) were willing to do. 

Yeah, at age 34, they'll want to cash in and reinvest...that's the theory that's being discussed around here, anyway.

Â